8 Months In Ukraine
Latest Blog Posts »
- Afternoons of art (or not) 1 day ago There were a few handicraft lessons in our Russian summer school. Everyone agreed that the worst one was the valenki lesson.Valenki, not to be confused with delicious vereniki, are boots made out of wool felt. We made tiny little valenki, perfect for shoving in a drawer and forgetting about.Yes,...
- Best of a Russian July 3 days ago Sveta in front of Nizhny Novgorod's city sign.It's the season of air conditioning in Portland. (100F, what madness is this??!!) We've already been to the movie theater twice this week to cool off. Now I'm hanging out near the air conditioner at home and starting to look through all last month's...
- Of songs and stadiums in Kharkiv 5 days ago Kharkiv could have become one of next year's go-to destinations, and it's all because of the stadium you see in the photo above.Did you watch the Eurovision Song Contest this year? Singer Jamala won the contest for Ukraine, which means Ukraine becomes the host of next year's contest. The question...
- Coastal weekend 1 week ago Last weekend we caught this beautiful sunset at the Oregon coast. It was over 90F/32C in Portland (I know that's cool weather compared to other places right now!) so all trains were running behind because of the heat. D left work early that day, and we waited with a crowd of people at the MAX stop....
- Two days on planes 2 weeks ago Nizhny airport.They say it takes half the number of time zones you traveled through to recover from jet lag. Do you think this is true? Nizhny Novgorod to Portland is ten time zones, which would mean five days, but I'm still feeling a little out of sync. And already the whole experience feels more...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Ukraine Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Ukraine!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on 8 Months In Ukraine
15:34 PM November 22, 2012
Great blog about life in one of the hardest and farthest cities to visit in Ukraine. Good advice on where to work and what to see and do while in Kharkiv, Ukraina!
17:45 PM November 22, 2012
8 Months In Ukraine is an exceptional blog: well written, entertaining, engaging, and full of fascinating anecdotes about life in Kharkov. Have you ever wondered what getting dental work done in Ukraine would be like? Well, now you can find out. I highly recommend following 8 Months In Ukraine!
22:04 PM November 23, 2012
Really good blog with many useful things that will come in handy if you're gonna visit Ukraine and especially Kharkiv!
17:21 PM November 29, 2012
I love the way Katherine writes, very entertaining and insightful. And she obviously loves Ukraine as she's been blogging for longer than the name of the blog suggests:) Looking forward to many more posts!
16:18 PM December 01, 2012
Katherine has a very keen eye and a concise writing style to relate her observations. Often when I read her posts, I think- how could I have missed that thing? I pass by it every day and yet she notices it.
05:38 AM June 09, 2013
Hi denis I read all the story u told us. My grandfather reads it everyday am sorry of your loss in 400$
19:30 PM April 10, 2014
I love this blog because it doesn't always focus on the negatives now going on Ukraine, it shows the rest of the world that life goes on, even when war threatens. It's refreshing to hear what's really happening to everyday people, rather than the hyped-up media versions of tragedy. Katherine is honest and forthright in her writing, and when I read her blog it's like getting a glimpse into a place I will never get to see, but would love to now that I know more about it, thanks to her writing. I hope she continues to write for as long as possible, no matter where she is!