8 Months In Ukraine
Latest Blog Posts »
- A Snowy State of Emergency 4 days ago So, it started snowing last night.Really, really snowing (for this city, at least.)By morning, downtown looked like this-Train stop.The city was shut down. Even if you had wanted to get somewhere, it was almost impossible to go there. We passed a hill where 4 city buses were stuck in a row. Drivers...
- 10 (rediscovered) links about Ukraine 5 days ago My computer has turned into a black hole for files, pictures, and bookmarks over the past few years. It's like an archaeological dig- bottom layers are full of Ukrainian odds and ends, covered over by the past few years of life in the US and short trips elsewhere.Today, I dug down to the bottom and...
- Peacock Lane 1 week ago Last year, I made a list of 80 things to try. Um, yeah, that turned out to be a little unrealistic... but this was the last thing I crossed off the list before the year ended.Each December, thousands of visitors walk up and down a little Portland street called Peacock Lane. The people who live on...
- A New Year's salad + other dishes 1 week ago Look at that beauty!! :) This is a salad named «мой генерал» and it comes from this YouTube video. It's like any New Year's salad you would find in Ukraine: mayonnaise, mayonnaise, and mayonnaise. I miss Ukraine the most during the holidays, so I decided to make a few things that are...
- A short Christmas poem 2 weeks ago Merry Christmas!!! :)Or as it's celebrated in Ukraine and Russia, Happy Just-Another-Work-Day. There was one time my boss paid me to take the day off (saying, "I know this is a big holiday on your country") but otherwise, it simply meant five more days of waiting/preparing before the New Year's Eve...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Ukraine Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Ukraine!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on 8 Months In Ukraine
15:34 PM November 22, 2012
Great blog about life in one of the hardest and farthest cities to visit in Ukraine. Good advice on where to work and what to see and do while in Kharkiv, Ukraina!
17:45 PM November 22, 2012
8 Months In Ukraine is an exceptional blog: well written, entertaining, engaging, and full of fascinating anecdotes about life in Kharkov. Have you ever wondered what getting dental work done in Ukraine would be like? Well, now you can find out. I highly recommend following 8 Months In Ukraine!
22:04 PM November 23, 2012
Really good blog with many useful things that will come in handy if you're gonna visit Ukraine and especially Kharkiv!
17:21 PM November 29, 2012
I love the way Katherine writes, very entertaining and insightful. And she obviously loves Ukraine as she's been blogging for longer than the name of the blog suggests:) Looking forward to many more posts!
16:18 PM December 01, 2012
Katherine has a very keen eye and a concise writing style to relate her observations. Often when I read her posts, I think- how could I have missed that thing? I pass by it every day and yet she notices it.
05:38 AM June 09, 2013
Hi denis I read all the story u told us. My grandfather reads it everyday am sorry of your loss in 400$
19:30 PM April 10, 2014
I love this blog because it doesn't always focus on the negatives now going on Ukraine, it shows the rest of the world that life goes on, even when war threatens. It's refreshing to hear what's really happening to everyday people, rather than the hyped-up media versions of tragedy. Katherine is honest and forthright in her writing, and when I read her blog it's like getting a glimpse into a place I will never get to see, but would love to now that I know more about it, thanks to her writing. I hope she continues to write for as long as possible, no matter where she is!