Hungry Little Elephant
Latest Blog Posts »
- Brunch, Croatian style. Also, the best čevapi in Zagreb. 3 weeks ago There's this hole-in-the-wall bar that I've seen numerous times while walking through the center of Zagreb. It's tiny, so small that it can't even contain its regulars, a group of old men who pour outside into a narrow passageway, smoking and drinking for hours.It never struck me as the kind of...
- Developments and rather undeveloped thoughts 2 months ago Two new writing projects have been keeping me busy lately: an expat guide to Zagreb for Easy Expat and regular articles for Ikon Arts Foundation, a non-profit organization established to encourage engagement with Croatian creative culture. While the expat guide has me researching mind-numbing but...
- Vintage pharmaceutical paraphanalia at I, Jacobus Apothecarius 2 months ago "I, Jacobus Apothecarius - from the apothecary to industry," an exhibition that traces the development of the pharmaceutical industry in Zagreb, is currently on view at the Zagreb City Museum. I decided to check it out, mostly for aesthetic reasons, and I wasn't disappointed: on display was a...
- On eating cake batter and cookie dough 2 months ago Okay, American friends. Answer me this: What's the best thing about baking?Taste testing the batter. Am I right? There is something so irresistibly satisfying about plunging a spoon into soft chocolate chip cookie dough and coming up with a healthy scoop to munch on. Actually, I can't imagine...
- A quick trip to Rome 3 months ago This weekend we took a very quick trip to Rome for Damjan's mother's birthday. We left on Friday, came back on Monday, and spent Saturday and Sunday eating, mostly. I enjoyed so many delicious gluten-free meals. We went to a birthday party at McDonald's. (Not for D's mom, but for one of his old...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Croatia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 23 reviews on Hungry Little Elephant
00:43 AM November 21, 2012
I love Hungry Little Elephant! I spent my honeymoon in Croatia and can't wait to go back with all the new knowledge that I've picked up from HLE. They should definitely win the expat blog because while there is a wealth of info about Croatia the thoughtful writing isn't just for Croatiaphiles it's also for anyone living or who has lived in another country other than their homeland.
06:44 AM November 21, 2012
Great blog...informative and fun :)
13:05 PM November 21, 2012
Being an expat in Croatia myself - I have found comfort in HLE! I feel that so many of her thoughts and feelings are my thoughts and feelings. In this big world - it is nice to know that someone knows what you are going through. Simply amazing.
01:22 AM November 25, 2012
Hungry Little Elephant is a great combination of personal anecdotes and practical advice for expats, travelers, and wanderlusters. Posts are well-written and nicely organized, and always keep me interested - even from thousands of miles away.
21:38 PM December 07, 2012
Lots of useful information on living in Croatia!
00:21 AM December 08, 2012
We have not been to Croatia yet, but Hungry Little Elephant has given me much to look forward to when we do. My wife and love this blog and look forward to more posts from HLE. Wonderful reading!
16:48 PM December 09, 2012
Hungry Little Elephant makes me want to visit Croatia, on the double! HLE's posts are both useful and poetic. A great blog for any expats in Croatia, or wanderlusters like me.
22:53 PM December 09, 2012
Gluten free, techno parties, rooftop brunches, expat life, wine & dine, art talk, hipster hangouts, organic food and your average tourist sites all in one blog. Priceless!
23:58 PM December 09, 2012
Love it! Where else can you read about the wacky escapades of a Croatian modern art connoisseur and her "newly developed Croatianisms"? The vicarious experience is wonderful.
07:12 AM December 10, 2012
Hungry Little Elephant navigates the beauty of life in Croatia. With helpful and fun information about the U.S. and Croatia, the author writes honestly about balancing a love for the uniqueness of both countries in one life. The passion for both countries of Hungry Little Elephant is contagious, and the information is valuable for any inquiring mind.
10:02 AM December 10, 2012
Absolutely worth the read. It provides a really fresh, sometimes funny perspective on how things are back home. As a Croatian, I'm happy to know there's a blog like this. :)
13:40 PM December 10, 2012
Nice blog,fresh perpective on my hometown, like it a lot!
14:17 PM December 10, 2012
I am following this blog on regular basis and it is absolutely fantastic. I am always amazed how many things/facts I do not know or do not notice although I'm living in Croatia. And after all, I gave the idea to the author how to name this blog :-)
14:25 PM December 10, 2012
I'm a croatian expat in Rome, it's funny how another expat manages to keep me in touch with my home town...
17:42 PM December 10, 2012
Not an expat myself, at least physically, but I appreciate how Elaine gives voice to the possible expat in all of us -a longing for someplace better and what better place than to be in Croatia where snow doesn't slow anyone down and hot coffee is still served outdoors amidst the beauty of a heavy blanket of white! The Runsible Spoon in Bloomington, Indiana should take a lesson from this joie de vivre!
18:18 PM December 10, 2012
Exciting blog! It makes you want to visit Croatia,and I am almost ready to take the plunge since I have relatives there. Keep up the good work, E.
05:55 AM December 11, 2012
Your blog is wonderful and I am starting to know a little bit about Croatia. The plus sign for me is that I also know you and know your taste. Keep writing. P.S. Love your picture. I know it so well!
14:11 PM December 11, 2012
16:24 PM December 11, 2012
It is amazing to see a foreigner discovering the very essence of the Croatian culture in a faster and a more direct way than we the Croatians would do it. It confirms Elaine is an expert in art - cause she discovers it immediately and completely wherever she goes! And she discovers what we have forgotten to discover, see or appreciate. Thanks, Elaine, for this journey to inner Croatia and a special thanks for sharing it with us!
19:46 PM December 11, 2012
Hi, E,your last blog almost made me phone you to tell you what strange people we are: waiting for a tram which didn't arrive and then walking to Sheraton hotel to participate at OUP conference for English teachers! The hall was full, people came from all over Croatia! Look, this is why I love your blog - now I know what you and D have been doing and I can share my experience with you. Great, keep on informing me! And I love your photos!
21:02 PM December 11, 2012
Thank you, dear HLE, for all the beautiful, warm and amazing remarks, witty observations and wonderful descriptions, accompanied by excellent photos of my hometown and other parts of Croatia. Being abroad (temporarily) and far, far away - I really do appreciate all of it! Please, just go on with all your explorations and discoveries, they are precious - not only for the nostalgic ones as myself….I am sure!
08:49 AM December 12, 2012
This is a great blog, interesting to read and informative, and it gives a nice perspective on many events and places, even some you would had a hard time finding in regular media or guides.
20:13 PM December 13, 2012
Well-done! Very interesting blog to read. Much sense of observing details. That's why, I'd rather call this "Little Elephant", a "Big One".Keep on loving Croatia and informing us about our country, in such a curious way.