Bridges from Bamako
Latest Blog Posts »
- Mafiacracy: The Malian state adrift 4 weeks ago This post was written by A. Karim Sylla of the MaliLink Investigative Reporting Group. A longer version in French , featuring additional coverage of irregularities in public finance and high-level government appointments, appeared on 24 January in Bamako’s Le Républicain … Continue reading...
- Africa comes to Washington 2 months ago English novelist David Lodge once observed that professional conferences have become a modern form of pilgrimage. Much like medieval pilgrims, he wrote, conference-goers today “indulge themselves in all the pleasures and diversions of travel while appearing to be austerely bent … Continue...
- Changement et désespoir : lettre d'un ami américain 4 months ago Mon cher Lamine, Tu m’as demandé, une fois les résultats du scrutin présidentiel américain connus, “Comment cela a-t-il pu se produire ? Comment la démocratie la plus puissante du monde a-t-elle élu un démagogue déséquilibré à la présidence ?” Comme … Continue reading →
- Despairing for change: A letter to a Malian friend 4 months ago Dear Lamine, You asked me, once the outcome of the 2016 US presidential election was apparent: How could this happen? How could the world’s most powerful democracy elect a volatile demagogue to the highest office in the land? Like many … Continue reading →
- Kicking the foreigners out 6 months ago Amid the recent hype over Donald Trump’s xenophobic rhetoric in the US, the anniversary of a landmark crackdown on unwanted foreigners has quietly slipped past. 20 years ago this week, police broke down the doors of the Eglise Saint-Bernard in … Continue reading →
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » Bridges from Bamako has no reviews just yet
Unfortunately, no-one has been kind enough to leave a quick positive comment on this expat blog. Be the first!