Bridges from Bamako
Latest Blog Posts »
- How did Mali get here? (Part 5: Institutional explanations) 1 month ago In this final installment of the series we consider the role of Mali’s political institutions in generating the wave of instability and political violence that has engulfed the country since 2012. Institutionalist analysis ascribes a country’s success–or lack thereof–to the … Continue...
- How did Mali get here? (Part 4: Geopolitical explanations) 1 month ago In seeking to understand the long-term sources of instability in Mali, analytical perspectives centered on geopolitics emphasize competition among states, including the Malian government, its Sahelian neighbors, and extra-regional players, in shaping events there. These perspectives pit the Malian...
- How did Mali get here? (Part 3: Anti-imperialist explanations) 1 month ago To account for the extent of state decay and recent political violence in Mali, Western journalists, diplomats and security specialists have often focused on proximate causes (e.g., Islamic radicalization, state corruption, the spread of small arms, and inter-ethnic tensions) with … Continue...
- How did Mali get here? (Part 2: From military rule to multiparty politics) 1 month ago Introduction: This post is the second in a series reviewing Mali’s modern history and present trajectory. Subsequent posts will survey the distinct but overlapping analyses of Mali’s postcolonial development. As I work to improve my draft for publication, I invite … Continue reading →
- How did Mali get here? (Part 1: Echoes of decolonization) 1 month ago Introduction: Recently I’ve been drafting a brief overview of Mali’s modern history and present trajectory. The aim is to excavate the long-term political, economic, and historical underpinnings of Mali’s ongoing instability. This post is the first in a series on … Continue reading →
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » Bridges from Bamako has no reviews just yet
Unfortunately, no-one has been kind enough to leave a quick positive comment on this expat blog. Be the first!