Drawing On Istanbul
Latest Blog Posts »
- PEACE IN THE RUINS: Drawing the Hospital of Sampson 3 months ago I sat on a hillside covered with wild mustard, drawing Byzantine bricks through chestnut trees just coming into bloom, and the whole world was yellow and green. A sunny day in April, and I was drawing in dead quiet: a … Continue reading →
- GHOST CHURCH: Drawing Theotokos in Chalkoprateia 6 months ago 5th century AD: Furious clamor as police descend on Constantinople’s Chalkoprateia, the Bronze District, where Jewish artisans live, creating and selling bronze items. Screaming in outrage, bearded Jews in caps are dragged from their shops, beaten, banished. An earlocked apprentice … Continue...
- SNOW CAFE: Drawing Plovdiv in Winter 8 months ago Oh, it’s cold now in Istanbul. Days like diamonds: brilliant sunshine, icy in the shadows. The sun fools you into wearing a lighter coat, and then it sets. Such a fantasy, Istanbul, amid seas and waterways. But its magnificent trees, … Continue reading →
- 2013 in review 8 months ago THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT! It’s lovely to see you, all 25,000 reads, Stateside and in Turkey and in the UK, and astonishing that we are still being read in all through the Balkans, Scandinavia, Asia, Europe. I love that there … Continue reading →
- MARRAKECH: Drawing the Kasbah 10 months ago All my life I wanted to go to Morocco. Everybody in my generation, it seemed, hit that old hippie trail and came back glowing with wonders. Crosby, Stills & Nash released “Marrakech Express,” conjuring up exotic imagery enjoyed by everyone, … Continue reading →
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » Drawing On Istanbul has no reviews just yet
Unfortunately, no-one has been kind enough to leave a quick positive comment on this expat blog. Be the first!