Postcards from the Rainbow Nation
Latest Blog Posts »
- The Sea of War and Hope 3 days ago I once heard the acclaimed author Jonathan Safran Foer share about his writing process. He described the experience to that of a heavily laden wagon falling into a lake, having all of its contents float to the surface. “When I write,” Safran explained, ” I am that wagon. I throw myself into...
- The More of Less and Schools as Killing Fields 1 month ago I recently returned to South Africa from a trip to the USA after a long hiatus as an expat. Upon reentry I was hit with extreme culture shock along with strict TSA regulations and scenes straight out of an episode of the television show Homeland, complete with a full body pat down for wanting to...
- Sensationalism vs. Solutions 5 months ago Once upon a time I used to enjoy reading the newspaper. Sunday morning in NYC was a steaming cup of Starbucks in hand and the New York Times weekend addition smiling up at me from the table, oh the excitement and anticipation! Fast forward to my current relationship with the printed press-I avoid...
- Chocolate Cookie Vanilla Cookie 6 months ago I stared for a good few minutes just to make sure I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing. Leaving the gym, a white man. Behind him, a black man running after him carrying his gym bag to his car. Not knowing how to process this sight I contained it just long enough […]
- In Death, a Celebration of Life 7 months ago The hearts of the world were fused with South Africa this weekend as the news of the passing of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela spread. We awoke early Friday morning to a grey, overcast day to hear that at the grand age of 95, this great light made a peaceful transition into the next world from his […]
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » Postcards from the Rainbow Nation has no reviews just yet
Unfortunately, no-one has been kind enough to leave a quick positive comment on this expat blog. Be the first!