Retired in Samar
Latest Blog Posts »
- What To Do? How Can One Stay Busy in the Philippines? 5 days ago Enjoy Living But Stay Busy! If there is one thing I really enjoy about living in the tropics is the abundance of tropical flora. I don’t care much about the abundance of fauna, but I do enjoy observing some of the more strange creatures I come across. Today though, I was browsing through some of...
- My Wife's Name is "Karma" and I Can't Lose Weight! 2 weeks ago My Daily Mission I wake up most mornings with the same desire, complete with attached motivation – to curb my diet beginning that very day as I start down the road to shedding a few excess pounds. But just as my waking motivation controls the initial part of my day, there seems to be this […]
- Filipino - American Labor Relationships. Is It One-sided? 3 weeks ago I see many requests for information in different online venues about working in the Philippines or building and owning businesses by foreigners who wish to live here. Sorry, no can do! In comparing the labor situation between our two countries, it’s obvious to me that the colonization of the...
- Live in the Philippines with Cryptocurrency? What Does the Future Hold? 3 weeks ago First, Think Income! I’ve talked about it in the past. Many times. Many other bloggers have concurred. If you want to live in the Philippines, you will need an income… and to be secure, you will need to bring that income from outside the Philippines. It’s true that some guys will head to the...
- Retired in Samar - Receives Best Expat Blog 2017! 2 months ago Relocating to another country is tough. There is not a better way to get the nitty-gritty of expatriation than reading other people’s experiences. That is what I do. I Blog. And through my blogging efforts, I have been selected as having the “Best Philippines Expat Blog – 2017” by the...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 23 reviews on Retired in Samar
01:24 AM March 21, 2013
Located in Samar, Philippines, Randy does an excellent job covering both the local activities of the area as well as the global news that relates to the Philippines. He also keeps his eye open to any scams that might affect future travelers. Practical and with heart, check out "Retired in Samar"!
06:06 AM March 21, 2013
I like this blog a lot. I read it almost everyday. Randy started this blog not too long ago and he really decided to get into it and is giving his all to help promote our little island of Samar and especially the Calbayog City area. Give it a read, I think you will like it. Actually I'm a little jealous that his site is already better looking than mine.
17:23 PM March 21, 2013
Love his site! Randy has almost convinced me that this is where I will live when I move to the Philippines. He post great stories, pics of the island and local happenings. Check his blog out.
18:48 PM March 22, 2013
Randy's blog has information of interest to potential expats in the Philippines. He encourages discussion of ideas.
20:33 PM March 22, 2013
Randy offers insight and his own personal opinion that you can't find on other sites regarding the Philippines. Thinking of retiring to the Philippines? Check this site out.
03:28 AM March 24, 2013
A unique take on all things Filipino seen through the eyes of a genial and witty Kano married to a lovely Filipina. He's building his dream home in the Philippines; sharing his views and adventures with those of us who envy him. Give it a try you'll like it!
19:52 PM March 28, 2013
I found it informative with interesting photos.
00:08 AM March 29, 2013
Thinking of moving to the Philippines - especially the island of Samar? Then you should be following this blog. Excellent advice and help from an ex-pat now living there. Keep up the good work Randy!
17:12 PM March 29, 2013
18:12 PM March 29, 2013
I also am having my retirement home built in the Philippines, in Luzon. This highlights some of the many pluses of life in the P. I.
23:55 PM March 29, 2013
It shows the beauty of the Philippines!!
21:02 PM March 31, 2013
I enjoy reading Randy's blog for the beautiful photography and keen insight on the Philippines....in particular, Samar. Having visited the Philippines many times, and living there for three years, I frequently visit websites dedicated to the country and its people. I fully intend to visit there again some day, perhaps dropping in on Randy in Samar. Keep the beer cold my friend!
02:14 AM May 18, 2013
Recently married to a beautiful girl from Samar who has spent many years in Manila. My plan is to purchase a property, preferably beach access or view to live a retired life. My wife will be so happy to live close to family and her memories. Interested in all comments that will help us to establish our home and future in Samar.
04:05 AM April 03, 2014
You have my vote of confidence for your fine efforts. Retired in Smar is a site that provides consistent updates of valuable reading material. Reading material which this future expat eagerly consumes. Thank you my friend.
06:16 AM August 04, 2014
hi, i currently live in the detroit area of michigan in u.s.a i am on disability and barely survive, i have friends urging me to move to philipinnes(calboyag city)do to the economy and government here im now strongly considering it, i know my ssd will transfer i just got to get a bank account that will allow us to phil direct deposit....can you help me to know what all steps i need to start taking to move there and become a citizen? i just need to also get my passport and plane tickets when i can get enough money saved
02:56 AM January 04, 2015
We recently got to meet Randy and Teri and found both of them to be just as warm, funny, and charming as Randy is in his blog. Oh, and Teri is even more beautiful in person. Thank you both for your hospitality when we were there. I spent nearly a year searching the internet for someplace to retire and chose the Philippines because of information I got from another ex-pat website, but most of their information was badly outdated. That did not change my opinion about the Philippines when I got here. but I wish I'd had Randy's blog also. It may have influenced my decision about what part of the PI I had chosen for my retirement home. I am not complaining about where we live, but I may have been just a little more selective about my final choice. Thank you again, Randy and keep up the good work.
02:43 AM January 26, 2015
YES THE PHILIPPINE IS A VERY GOOD PLACE LIVE WONDERFUL PEOPLE AND THE FAMILY LIFE ARE VERY CLOSE, THE WOMENS ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL AND VERY NICE, IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO LIVE IN THE PHILIPPINE, CHECK OUT AN AREA WHERE THERE IS NO TYPHOON SIGNAL 3 TO FIVE, ONE OR TWO IS OK BUT LOT OF RAIN. TAKE CARE PHILIPPINE FOODS IS SUPERB AND LOT OF FRUITS, FLOWERS, WONDERFUL BEACHES TO SWIMS IN AND PINIC FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY, I AM BUILDING A HOUSE IN NORTHERN SAMAR AND PLAN TO LIVE THE REST OF MY LIFE THERE, PHILIPPINE PEOPLE WILL WELCOME YOU.
12:17 PM March 03, 2015
I love his posts very candid and down to earth. You know he enjoys life here in the Philippines because his rancour can be felt by just reading the lines...............
16:15 PM March 06, 2015
His blog is very descriptive of life in Samar. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....the sceneries, the people, the simplicity of life and easy living, which to many locals take for granted has suddenly taken on a richness, seldom found in the world, where hurried living is the norm everyday. There are still a lot of places and cultures to discover...enjoy the ride and emerge from it with a doctorate of all that the Philippines is all about. Thank you, for your entertaining blogs. I love Calbayog..and I hope visitors in our beloved city, will love it too!
23:31 PM April 14, 2015
I've been reading a lot of blogs and info on moving to the Philippines. this blog that randy write's give's great insight on the Philippines and has tons of great info. keep up the good work and hopefully we will get the chance to meet you all one day. we just completed building our house in sorsogon city witch is a short ferry ride across to samar.
06:51 AM May 25, 2016
What a perfect blog. great job uncle Randy!✨
22:00 PM June 25, 2017
Planning on moving to the Phillipines from San Diego in Sepr. Met a beautiful filipia last year. Would like to talk to Randy. He can messenger me on FB, Michael Coury. Love his blog!!
08:13 AM October 19, 2017
Randy's blog was my main source of on-the-street info prior to our permanent move to Calbayog last year. He was kind enough to answer any questions I had and we have become friends before He and Teri relocated.