Katherine and Bruno's Adventures Abroad
Latest Blog Posts »
- Facing gender inequality In Indonesia, not so different from the West 2 years ago Last week, I sat on the floor of a community hall watching 12 men devour full plates of steamed corn, sweet potatoes, and bananas, washing down their mouthfuls with swigs of black coffee. The women who had graciously served this … Continue reading →
- Jakartans claim public spaces wherever they can find room 2 years ago If you have noticed the long lull between posts on this blog, you are simply watching what happens after about a year of living in a foreign country. What was once a surprising and obvious topic for a blog has … Continue reading →
- After tense election season, Indonesians breathe sigh of relief 2 years ago Today my Indonesian language teacher showed up for our lesson wearing a blue and red checkered shirt, typical of the supporters of the newly elected president Joko Widodo (known by his nickname, Jokowi). Today, it seems like the wait is finally … Continue reading →
- Stark contrasts, historical ignorance on display in Indonesian presidential race 2 years ago Watching the 2014 presidential campaign in Indonesia is sometimes like watching a bad movie’s overwrought metaphor for the tension between democracy and authoritarianism playing out in real life. The choices have narrowed since I last described the presidential candidates, and … Continue...
- Southeast Asia's forests: vital and vanishing 2 years ago Forests are key for our food systems and our economy. Forests are a pantry for the world’s poor, and an incubator for biodiversity and unknown genetic material that could lead to vital scientific discoveries. Even those of us who think we live in urban environments may be more dependent on...
Contest Entries »
- Glitz, Wilderness, and Dirty Hands: Indonesia's Top Three Contradictions Expat Blog Awards 2013 Indonesia is a unique country of contradictions and contrasts — a place with extremes and seemingly no middle ground. Some clashes result from a mix of cultures trying to negotiate as one nation others from endemic corruption and poor policy....
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2013: Indonesia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Indonesia!Copy and paste code to display the Indonesia Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There is 1 review on Katherine and Bruno's Adventures Abroad
13:46 PM December 17, 2013
not just a travelogue, real insights