Latest Blog Posts »
- Dear Brazil: Pay Your Nannies a Living Wage! 4 days ago Dear reader, if you’re not in the mood for a rant check back next week. It all started with an early morning WhatsApp message asking fellow moms about rates for a substitute nanny while the permanent nanny is on vacation. Here in Brazil full-time nannies are common. This was surreal for me...
- Flying with Preschoolers: It can always get worse. 1 week ago My little family of three took a trip to Rio de Janeiro this weekend. Our nephew recently had a birthday and we needed to put in some face time with my husband’s family. It’s only a 45 minute flight from Vitoria to Rio, but that was long enough to learn a valuable lesson. There is [...]
- Why I Finally Admitted I'm a Writer 2 weeks ago For the past seven years I’ve been writing a graphic novel. I only admitted this to a non-family member for the first time two years ago. I admitted it to close colleagues eight months ago, and then only because I had to give some reason for quitting my job. I was forced to tell [...]
- 5 Things You'd Never Guess About Brazil 3 weeks ago “Do you like Brazil?” I heard this question for the thousandth time last night. I don’t know why people bother to ask this question. It’s in the same category as “Does this make me look fat?” and “Did you read my last blog post?” Nobody wants an honest answer. “Do you like...
- The Two Kinds of Americans Abroad 1 month ago Last week, I gave a lecture comparing Brazilian and American culture to a group of law students from West Virginia University. I like to think that I was asked to lecture because I have a Master’s degree in International Communication, a subject I have been living everyday since I moved to...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There is 1 review on Coconut Water
07:23 AM January 23, 2014
Hi Looks like I will be moving to Vitoria soon with my wife and 1 yr old twins. Seeing as you already live there, what is the situation with schools for my kids as I have heard that most expats send their kids to Boarding school and I dont like the sound of that. Brst regards Carl.