View From Casita Colibrí
Latest Blog Posts »
- Independence Day 22 hours ago Is it cheating to post photos from the 2013 Mexican Independence Day desfile in Oaxaca? What can I say? It was raining today and, if it counts for anything, I never got around to posting these photos last year. However, I do have some news from this year: The state police staged a protest...
- Ready for el Grito 2 days ago My morning caller flew the coop and so did I. After being confined to quarters for the past several days due to the rain and gloom, I walked downtown. Also, I was curious as to the state of the Zócalo, in light of the teachers, ambulantes, and the annual reenactment of “el Grito de...
- My morning caller 2 days ago This morning’s sunshine (after days of gray) brought a visitor to my door… A Sphenarium purpurascens, also known as Chapulín de la milpa. No cornfield nearby. Hmmm… perhaps the recent storms blew it off course?
- Boys watching girls 4 days ago During the aforementioned convites, you will find the boys of Teotitlán del Valle, Standing On the Corner watching all the girls go by. Not much has changed since The Four Lads had a hit with that song! From my friend Samuel Bautista Lazo, who grew up in Teotitlán del Valle, “It’s funny to...
- Convite in cochinilla 1 week ago Defining the terms… According to Harrap’s Spanish and English Pocket Dictionary, convite means reception. However, if I drag my weighty Larousse Standard Diccionario down from the shelf, convite translates to “invitation” or “banquet.” And, if one turns to Google or Bing translation...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 2 reviews on View From Casita Colibrí
22:38 PM April 12, 2013
You are charming my socks off.
20:34 PM August 07, 2013
Excellent blog about Oaxacan culture! I never miss a post--really beautiful photos and insight.