Adventures and Japes
Latest Blog Posts »
- New word: Danboozle 5 days ago Danboozle: verb To try to convince someone to do something in a certain way because ‘this is how it is done in Denmark’ (whether it is or not). Example:- Here in Denmark, we always rinse the washing up thoroughly under hot … Continue reading →
- Fightbooking 3 weeks ago This is the best thing I’ve seen. It’s a fight amongst suburban Danes about dog shit. For those of you lucky enough not to know: dog shit is somewhat of an epidemic in Denmark. I’ve never had it dansplained as a ‘negative … Continue reading →
- One from the Vaults: The Buck Stops Where? 4 weeks ago === Something prescient from 2011 about Venstre foreign policy hope you enjoy reading it again. ==== And so, wearily, on to immigration. As I noted previously, Venstre allowing certain people from certain “developed” countries to have an easier experience when … Continue reading →
- A little music for your entertainment 2 months ago If you haven’t seen True Detective yet, I recommend you do. The title put me off too. It’s good! It’s really good! Anyway, the following song is the title track for the show. It’s basically been on repeat on my … Continue reading →
- Talking Politics with New Danes 3 months ago When I first arrived in Denmark, the first question from strangers was “What do you think of Denmark?” In the first few months, I would answer “Um. It’s good? I like it?” and the Dane would be pleased. During culture shock, … Continue reading →
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Denmark Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Denmark!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 5 reviews on Adventures and Japes
20:37 PM December 13, 2012
Blogs like Adventures and Japes are incredibly helpful to those of us who have found ourselves as expats in Denmark for various reasons and for various lengths of time. This blog doesn't sugar coat life here but rather attempts to bring to light many of the serious issues faced by immigrants (short- or long-term) to this country. This blogger has an incredible talent for distilling complex issues into interesting and thoughtful, often even provocative, postings. I came across the blog years before I actually moved to Denmark, and am grateful that her voice is out there to (a) offer some reassurance that I'm not the only one seeing and puzzling over some of the downsides of living here, and (b) potentially even turn into an agent of positive social change in this country by addressing these issues in a public forum. Thank goodness for blogs like this that offer some balance to the "everything is puppies and rainbows and windmills"-type of blogs that also exist for Denmark. For many of us, Adventures and Japes rings more true than the former type that gloss over serious social issues here.
08:23 AM December 14, 2012
As an expat living in Denmark, this blog has become a news source for me. While I enjoy lifestyle type blogs and seeing how other expats are getting on, this one tells it like it is and talks about news/cultural topics that due to my limited Danish skills, I wouldn't otherwise hear about. I think as a prospective expat, it's important to understand the political and cultural climate you're taking on, yet this is often overlooked for more personal concerns like cost of living, can you buy _____ there, etc.
09:43 AM December 14, 2012
While other expat blogs in Denmark are hiding behind rosy picture of this country, this blog dares to bring forward the uncomfortable truth, that this place - just like every other place - has ups and downs. In my opinion it is important for newbies (new expats) or people who are thinking about moving to DK to read this blog, so that they could prepare for the worst too, because there's no such thing as paradise on earth, isn't it?
10:19 AM December 14, 2012
An excellent, down to earth blog about the realities of life in Denmark sans the hype and marketing we are so accustomed to. The author does indeed tell it like it is in a realistic and daring manner, considering all the potential and real abuse she opens herself to.
10:19 AM December 14, 2012
This blog is the real deal, the straight dope, if you will. If you require bull**** PR fluff pieces about Nyt Nordic cuisine and wonderful daycare and free healthcare, this is not the place for you. If, on the other hand, you are interested in the random pettiness and daily rudeness that life in Denmark can often be, or interested in exploring some of the less savory, but very common aspects of life in Denmark, then this blog is a valuable resource. Prospective immigrants/expats would do well to read this blog.