Adventures and Japes
Latest Blog Posts »
- The nightmare is over? 4 weeks ago Im the little Thai girl deported with her mother because her step father died of cancer last year has been allowed to come back. Apparently the pictures of her literally wearing the Danish flag tugged at the heart strings of … Continue reading →
- FUCK ALL THE THINGS 1 month ago Denmark deports widow and child shortly after a death in the family because they ‘don’t belong’ here. This is so wrong, I can’t even. The Justice minister agrees it is wrong but claims his hands are tied and is looking … Continue reading →
- Let's all go look at my CPHPost article 2 months ago Let’s all go look at my CPHPost article It’s about Denmark this week. ETA: Five years ago or so, I moved to Denmark. I was already blogging about the stuff I was getting up to as an attempt to … Continue reading →
- Viene tormenta! 2 months ago All weekend, the UK news was on Stormageddon overdrive but Aarhus and Fredericia had seasonally appropriate weather and there wasn’t much in the Danish news apart from “big storm headed for the UK.” I got to leave work a bit … Continue reading →
- Newbies: Winter Survival Guide 2 months ago If you arrived this summer (as so many new arrivals seem to), it is often around this time that culture shock often hits hardest. Let’s assume culture shock is going to get to you this winter. That is pretty normal so … Continue reading →
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Denmark Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Denmark!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 5 reviews on Adventures and Japes
20:37 PM December 13, 2012
Blogs like Adventures and Japes are incredibly helpful to those of us who have found ourselves as expats in Denmark for various reasons and for various lengths of time. This blog doesn't sugar coat life here but rather attempts to bring to light many of the serious issues faced by immigrants (short- or long-term) to this country. This blogger has an incredible talent for distilling complex issues into interesting and thoughtful, often even provocative, postings. I came across the blog years before I actually moved to Denmark, and am grateful that her voice is out there to (a) offer some reassurance that I'm not the only one seeing and puzzling over some of the downsides of living here, and (b) potentially even turn into an agent of positive social change in this country by addressing these issues in a public forum. Thank goodness for blogs like this that offer some balance to the "everything is puppies and rainbows and windmills"-type of blogs that also exist for Denmark. For many of us, Adventures and Japes rings more true than the former type that gloss over serious social issues here.
08:23 AM December 14, 2012
As an expat living in Denmark, this blog has become a news source for me. While I enjoy lifestyle type blogs and seeing how other expats are getting on, this one tells it like it is and talks about news/cultural topics that due to my limited Danish skills, I wouldn't otherwise hear about. I think as a prospective expat, it's important to understand the political and cultural climate you're taking on, yet this is often overlooked for more personal concerns like cost of living, can you buy _____ there, etc.
09:43 AM December 14, 2012
While other expat blogs in Denmark are hiding behind rosy picture of this country, this blog dares to bring forward the uncomfortable truth, that this place - just like every other place - has ups and downs. In my opinion it is important for newbies (new expats) or people who are thinking about moving to DK to read this blog, so that they could prepare for the worst too, because there's no such thing as paradise on earth, isn't it?
10:19 AM December 14, 2012
An excellent, down to earth blog about the realities of life in Denmark sans the hype and marketing we are so accustomed to. The author does indeed tell it like it is in a realistic and daring manner, considering all the potential and real abuse she opens herself to.
10:19 AM December 14, 2012
This blog is the real deal, the straight dope, if you will. If you require bull**** PR fluff pieces about Nyt Nordic cuisine and wonderful daycare and free healthcare, this is not the place for you. If, on the other hand, you are interested in the random pettiness and daily rudeness that life in Denmark can often be, or interested in exploring some of the less savory, but very common aspects of life in Denmark, then this blog is a valuable resource. Prospective immigrants/expats would do well to read this blog.