View From Casita Colibrí
Latest Blog Posts »
- Hitchin' a ride... 1 day ago On the hummingbird express, they came, they saw, and they spent money. The hordes of Guelaguetza visitors and their tour vans and buses have departed, leaving streets a little easier to navigate and hotels breathing a big sigh of relief at their 99% occupancy rate. Hopefully, restaurants,...
- At long last lluvia!!! 3 days ago It’s been a rainy season that “is not” more than “is.” However, tonight around 6:00 PM, I heard the unmistakable sound of rain and looked out the window. This is incredibly good news for the mostly subsistence farmers in the valley of Oaxaca, as crops have been struggling and reservoirs...
- Tlacolula, Tlacolulokos, Tokiolula 1 week ago If it’s Sunday, it must be market day in Tlacolula de Matamoros. However, it’s not just the market (one of the oldest and biggest in Oaxaca) that keeps me returning, it’s also the prevalence of fabulous murals decorating walls and sides of buildings. Unfortunately, here in Oaxaca city,...
- Masked men of Oaxaca 1 week ago During la Guelaguetza, the Desfiles de Delegaciones brought masked men (appearances to the contrary, all are men) to the streets of Oaxaca. From San Andrés Zautla delegation, the masked men of the Danza de los Jardineros… along with the village viejos (old men). The guys and “gal” from the...
- Waiting and prepping 2 weeks ago In the hour leading up to the Guelaguetza Desfile de delagaciones, last minute prep work… Props at the ready… Human parade participants sit and wait… And, spectators hang out on the sidewalks… What did we all do before cell phones?
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 3 reviews on View From Casita Colibrí
22:38 PM April 12, 2013
You are charming my socks off.
20:34 PM August 07, 2013
Excellent blog about Oaxacan culture! I never miss a post--really beautiful photos and insight.
21:19 PM April 18, 2015
Shannon, I hoe I have the right blog. Shannon O'Donnell?? I am retirement age. I am looking for a better cost of living for my retirement years. I want to stay as close to the U.S. as possible. I have five grown children and grandchildren. You are living and advertising for locations near Puerta Vallarta. Do you have information about places further North and still on the Pacific Coast? Are there other publications you can recommend? I am early in this process but reasonably certain i will do something. And it is that something i am searching for. Thanks for any help you can provide.,