Latest Blog Posts »
- What Connects a Train Station in Germany to a Toilet in New Zealand? 6 days ago It was New Year’s Eve and we were on our way to Berlin. As we’d purchased the cheapest train tickets possible, we weren’t speeding between cities, but meandering from small station to small station. Standing, freezing, on dilapidated platforms, we gazed across the tracks towards a succession...
- My First Christmas in New Zealand 1 month ago Originally posted on POMS AWAY!: When you’re an immigrant, that first Christmas hits you hard. The rest of the year, you’re distracted by work and house hunting and getting on with life. Then Christmas arrives and everything stops. You realise what’s missing: family. My first Christmas in New...
- Cold? 1 month ago I’ve been in Europe four months. Two left. People back in New Zealand keep asking how I’m coping with the cold. They’re experiencing a warm, humid spring whilst I’m experiencing a cold, rainy autumn. My answer surprises them. I’m not finding the cold difficult to cope with at all –...
- Emigrating to NZ: Sell or Ship Your Vehicle? 2 months ago This is a guest post by Kristina Bijelic. In recent years, many Americans have made the decision to pack up their memories and start a new life in New Zealand. Once that major decision has been made, it opens a can of worms about what to take and what to leave. Most people will, at […]
- Hamilton's Historic Estate 2 months ago Originally posted on POMS AWAY!: Need help finding things to do in Hamilton, New Zealand? Probably. At first glance, it can seem like the only place worth visiting in Hamilton is the Gardens. At second glance, you have to concede that the zoo is a great place to go in Hamilton as well. Then...
Contest Entries »
- Top 20 Things a Brit in New Zealand Misses Expat Blog Awards 2013 New Zealand is a truly wonderful country and I feel privileged to call it home. This doesn’t mean, however, that I don’t miss my real home, my native England. Yes, life in New Zealand is so much better than life in England, but there are some...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2013: New Zealand Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in New Zealand!Copy and paste code to display the New Zealand Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 2 reviews on POMS AWAY!
13:49 PM August 22, 2014
Hi Abby, I've really so much enjoyed reading your blog! You're a fantastic writer, and New Zealand sounds so very beautiful and peaceful! I just typed a question on to your blog, but am not sure if you've received it. My question, which I am curious about, is, I wonder if you're aware of any deeply historical, Maori legends or myths - preferably ghostly, or paranormal, but also just mythological - for around the very local area you live in? I also wonder, if New Zealanders of European or other background tend to know the deeply historical, Maori legend history of their immediate neighbourhoods? I live in England, a few minutes walk from a small village which dates from the early 17th Century, which is allegedly haunted by the ghosts of a medieval nun and monk, there once being an abbey fairly close by, and a medieval manor house in the village area until the early 1820s. I also know of local faerie folk legends, which date to the 18th century. So, I guess knowing the deep local history around my home, I wonder if in New Zealand people know deeply historical mythology belonging to around their homes. Also, settler history or more recent history legends and tales, I guess. I love old tales as you can no doubt guess, especially those which bring a bit of a shiver!
22:33 PM January 20, 2018
Love your blog! I have enjoyed the beautiful pictures along with your well-written descriptives and helpful advice on how to enjoy each place to its fullest. Your blog is very informative I get a personal vibe from your writings that makes me want to visit each place. I sure hope to in the near future, as I am planing a visit to your country. :) Thank you for your blog, keep up the amazing work!