Latest Blog Posts »
- Accepting New Zealand as Home 4 months ago Originally posted on POMS AWAY!: I did not immigrate to New Zealand willingly. When my parents informed me they were dragging me to the other side of the world – in an Italian restaurant in Edinburgh when I was nine years old – I threw a tantrum and threatened to run away. I’ve already told…
- The Top 10 Things to Do Around Hamilton 9 months ago There’s a certain conversation with which anyone who’s lived in Hamilton for more than five minutes is familiar. A friend is visiting – or, more likely, passing through – and they ask, “So, what is there to do around here?” Inevitably, the Hamiltonian squirms, knowing full-well that...
- Underhill: The Real-Life Hobbit Hole 10 months ago We spent our honeymoon in a magical place, a private retreat in a secluded dell: a real-life hobbit hole. Seriously, a pseudo-medieval cottage built into a hillside. There was no electricity, just a cast iron stove and a shedload of candles. The bed was piled with furs and all the dark, wooden...
- Our Wedding at Hobbiton 10 months ago My first visit to Hobbiton was nearly seven years ago. I knew then that I wanted to get married there. Ten days ago, I did. And it was wonderful. True, it was supposed to happen back in April, and our friends and family from Europe were supposed to be with us, but considering the state […]
- Totara House and Its Kauri Gum Treasures 13 months ago A few weeks ago, I was contacted by the Kauri Museum in Matakohe. They offered me, among other things, a private tour of a historical building they’d been gifted. As long-time readers know, I’d never pass up an opportunity like that! A trip up north was duly organised. The historical building...
Contest Entries »
- Top 20 Things a Brit in New Zealand Misses Expat Blog Awards 2013 New Zealand is a truly wonderful country and I feel privileged to call it home. This doesn’t mean, however, that I don’t miss my real home, my native England. Yes, life in New Zealand is so much better than life in England, but there are some...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2013: New Zealand Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in New Zealand!Copy and paste code to display the New Zealand Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 2 reviews on POMS AWAY!
13:49 PM August 22, 2014
Hi Abby, I've really so much enjoyed reading your blog! You're a fantastic writer, and New Zealand sounds so very beautiful and peaceful! I just typed a question on to your blog, but am not sure if you've received it. My question, which I am curious about, is, I wonder if you're aware of any deeply historical, Maori legends or myths - preferably ghostly, or paranormal, but also just mythological - for around the very local area you live in? I also wonder, if New Zealanders of European or other background tend to know the deeply historical, Maori legend history of their immediate neighbourhoods? I live in England, a few minutes walk from a small village which dates from the early 17th Century, which is allegedly haunted by the ghosts of a medieval nun and monk, there once being an abbey fairly close by, and a medieval manor house in the village area until the early 1820s. I also know of local faerie folk legends, which date to the 18th century. So, I guess knowing the deep local history around my home, I wonder if in New Zealand people know deeply historical mythology belonging to around their homes. Also, settler history or more recent history legends and tales, I guess. I love old tales as you can no doubt guess, especially those which bring a bit of a shiver!
22:33 PM January 20, 2018
Love your blog! I have enjoyed the beautiful pictures along with your well-written descriptives and helpful advice on how to enjoy each place to its fullest. Your blog is very informative I get a personal vibe from your writings that makes me want to visit each place. I sure hope to in the near future, as I am planing a visit to your country. :) Thank you for your blog, keep up the amazing work!