The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- Paris and Chartres 3 days ago We’ve been in Paris for 10 days; 10 days stuffed with Paris stuff: restaurants, museums, the l’Arc de Triomphe draped á la Christo (and Jean-Claude), photo exhibits, wine and friends. After weeks of fretting, getting here was easy. The border... Read More ›
- The present: Paris 1 week ago If you’re reading this post, it means I’m in Paris. I scheduled it to launch on arrival day—precisely 3 days and 16 hours from when I wrote this sentence. The time has come for Covid and me to coexist; I’m... Read More ›
- A Tale of Two Cheeses 1 month ago In the hills twenty minutes outside of Charlottesville, Virginia, the nuns are making cheese. They have come to the Shenandoah foothills from a variety of places and professions to live quietly ensconced in curds and whey and contemplation. There, you... Read More ›
- The Opposite of Regret 2 months ago June 6th—the date of my last blog post—is an anniversary that I remember each year. Even though it meant nothing to anyone but me, I rushed that post out as a form of commemoration. On June 6th, 1983, I walked... Read More ›
- Alice in Burgundy 3 months ago It turns out, it’s quite easy to dig a rabbit hole. I should know; I’m ten days into mine. It started with my last blog post where I mentioned that we’d be going to Paris this fall, and that I... Read More ›
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.