The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- The Road Trip 4 weeks ago I think of camping as the epitome of the simple life. Me. Under the stars. A distant cowboy singing, “Git along little dogies.” It’s tar-black coffee poured from an enameled pot. A fiercely independent act which makes no concessions for... Read More ›
- Cell phones and Sandy Lou 1 month ago It’s 6 AM and I’ve been awake for two hours, huddled under the covers to mute the light from my phone as I flick through the news, Instagram and email. I play a round or two of sudoku to exercise... Read More ›
- Explorations 1 month ago In 1809, Meriwether Lewis shot himself in a boarding house 70 miles shy of Nashville, Tennessee. He was heading home to what is now my home, Charlottesville, Virginia. Three years earlier, he and his partner, William Clark, had returned from... Read More ›
- A Tale of Two Cities 11 months ago Last month, we spent 10 days in London and Paris. The trip started as a meetup in London with our daughter, Taylor, planned months ago when we thought we’d still be living in Paris and could easily pop over. Things... Read More ›
- Do I want to dance at Jack's wedding? 1 year ago My last post received comments. And emails. Thank you for each of them. One reader simply said, “May you dance at Jack’s wedding.” I’ve thought a lot about this comment lately. It was clearly a well-wish for Jack’s future, but... Read More ›
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.