Cows, Cuckoos and Clichés
Latest Blog Posts »
- Sheep watching in Switzerland 4 years ago We had a fascinating lesson in sheep psychology this weekend while walking along the pristine countryside around Aubonne. (see Autumn walk in Aubonne for more on Aubonne's beauty).Walking along an unfrequented wooded path we chanced upon a flock of sheep grazing. A sight so common that we didn't...
- Protons, Bosons and other exotic particles ............a visit to the ATLAS Experiment at CERN 4 years ago Some 100 meters deep in the bowels of the earth below where I stand, millions and millions of protons go around and round in a large 27 km circle that stretches from the Jura in France to Lake Geneva in Switzerland. They move faster and faster till they are almost at the speed of light in a tube...
- Fireworks on Lake Geneva ........The traditional close to the Fetes de Genève 4 years ago Geneva has a population of less than half million (472,530 to be precise); all of those people and more seem to have gathered around Lake Geneva, Saturday night to watch the grand feu d'artifice that marks the end of the summer Fete. Traditional since 1947 and arguably the largest display in...
- Fleeting beauty ........the Tulip festival at Morges 5 years ago The Istanbul tulips by the lakeSpring is finally blooming on the shores of Lake Geneva in the town of Morges where tulip mania is at its peak in the form of the most well-known tulip festival in Switzerland.Growing up in India, I never saw a tulip but every year at school assembly we duly performed...
- Remembering Chaplin 5 years ago Walking by the shores of Lac Léman at Vevey, I can’t help but notice a diminutive bronze statue that stands on its banks ………..of a tramp like figure in too small a bowler hat, baggy pants, bow legs, ill-fitting boots, a crooked cane in one hand and clutching a rose in the other; an...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Switzerland Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Switzerland!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on Cows, Cuckoos and Clichés
13:06 PM November 17, 2012
Reading Bela's blog was wonderful - hilarious at times, refreshing always - bringing out subtle contradictions in the Swiss way of life. Being an expat myself, I could easily relate myself with Bela's experiences of Swiss life. The exciting part part of the blog is to wonder what the next blog will be about. This is one blog which I long to read the next one that comes up. keep it up. siddhi
01:32 AM November 18, 2012
It is a pleasure to read an intelligent account of Bela's adventures in Geneva. Change is what so many families are experiencing today and her accounts of her experiences are motivational, inspiring and funny. It takes the angst out of a mid life move making us see that the old cliche is true " life is what you make it," and Bela makes it very good. Bravo Bela.
07:28 AM November 19, 2012
Good blog. like the way author compares east and west and finds so many similarities in a very insightful way.
16:17 PM November 19, 2012
Always enjoy reading Bela's blogs.After describing Switzerland's natural beauty,all of a sudden ,she springs a wonderful surprise of the Bhutan Bridge which itself a creation of beauty.Her comparison of the east and west makes us realize that tho apart,we are still very close.Looking forward to her next blog.
06:49 AM November 23, 2012
Bela's sense of subtle humour is her forte and signature tune so to speak and this comes out so clearly in the blogs. I loved the one about education - after all, we are plebians and love that, don't we? The mix of east and west, which I am sure would have been a difficult transition, is described in an undderstated manner. Enjoy reading her blogs - keep it up, Bela.
13:44 PM November 23, 2012
Really enjoy reading Bela's blog and learning new things about my recently adopted country.
11:40 AM November 26, 2012
This is a good window to Switzerland. Interesting tidbits of information. Funny in a nice way.