Heartbroken UK dog owners in Spain lose their pets to deliberate poisoning

Published:  12 Oct at 6 PM
Want to get involved? Become a Featured Expat and take our interview.
Become a Local Expert and contribute articles.
Get in touch today!
Tagged: USA, Euro
As many as 20 pet dogs have now died due to a toxic substance deliberately spread around two local parks.

Spanish police are now probing two popular local parks on the Costa del Sol for clues as to who is responsible for the deliberate poisoning of a number of pet dogs. According to the Olive Press local English language newspaper, two parks are involved – Marbella’s Parque la Futura in La Campana district and San Pedro’s Eucalyptus Park, with other areas now involved as well. Detectives have taken samples of a toxic poison discovered smeared close by children’s climbing frames and swings, and both parks are now closed to visitors.

A local veterinary surgeon at Marbella’s Urvet pet hospital told reporters he’d been aware of a number of cases of poisoning over just a few days, adding the situation is very scary as the poisons were placed adjacent to where children regularly play. Some of the dogs who licked the poison died within minutes, he said, and even sniffing it can cause death in around an hour.

Another family dog who died from the effects of the poison picked it up near Bello Horizonte in the east Marbella area. As well as being smeared around children’s playgrounds, it’s also being hidden in pieces of sausage and other foods, causing almost immediate death. Most of the poisonings have taken place around La Campana in Marbella, but one British expat living on the opposite side of the city in the Bello Horizonte area lost his Yorkshire Terrier to the poison on Sunday.

The little dog’s owner, a local expat businessman, saw him chewing something he’d picked up, and was devastated to see him in convulsions literally minutes later. He rushed him to the veterinary hospital but was too late to save him. Another British expat told reporters the poison is also on Avenida de la Girasoles close by a veterinary surgery in Nueva Andalucia after his two-year old beagle was poisoned last Sunday. The dog’s life was saved by the nearby vet, and she’s now home with her family, but has severe neurological damage and is still very ill.
Like this news?

Comments » No published comments just yet for this article...

Feel free to have your say on this item. Go on... be the first!

Tell us Your Thoughts On This Piece:

Your Name *
Email * (not published, needs verification one time only)
  • Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • RSS feed
  • Facebook

Latest Headlines

News Links

News Archive