Spain: UK expat raising awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning

Published:  19 Feb at 4 PM
Want to get involved? Become a Featured Expat and take our interview.
Become a Local Expert and contribute articles.
Get in touch today!
A British expat whose sister died of carbon monoxide poisoning is trying to raise awareness in his adopted homeland of Spain, where three times as many people die from inhaling toxic fumes than they do in the UK.

English teacher Adam Samuel, 33, lost his sister Katie five years ago after she inhaled toxic fumes.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that can be produced when fuel is burnt without sufficient ventilation or by not fitting appliances correctly. On average, 125 people die in Spain each year after inhaling the poisonous gas, compared to about 40 in the UK.

Adam, who lives in the southern town of Sanlucar de Barrameda, said he wanted to put the message out in Spain about the gas and how you can’t see, hear or smell it, and highlight how important it was to ventilate well and get an alarm.

The teacher, who is running the London marathon for the Katie Haines Memorial Trust in April, noted that his sister was a great fundraiser and that she had taken part in marathons for friends of hers that had died. He added that it was now ironic he was doing the same for her.

He is looking to put all proceeds towards producing awareness-raising videos; however, he said it was difficult to promote a British charity in Spain.
Like this news?

Comments » No published comments just yet for this article...

Feel free to have your say on this item. Go on... be the first!

Tell us Your Thoughts On This Piece:

Your Name *
Email * (not published, needs verification one time only)
  • Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • RSS feed
  • Facebook

Latest Headlines

News Links

News Archive