Brits win compensation for terror attacks overseas

Published:  19 Apr at 2 PM
Want to get involved? Become a Featured Expat and take our interview.
Become a Local Expert and contribute articles.
Get in touch today!
British people who are injured in terror attacks abroad will now be able to claim compensation due to new rules brought in by the government. As of this week, travellers and expats will be able to claim up to £50,000 from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, whereas previously the money could only be used for people injured within the UK.

Crispin Blunt, the UK justice minister, admitted that the money will not solve the problems of all the people who have suffered in such atrocities, but said the government wants to show that it supports its citizens, even when they are abroad.

Those injured in attacks such as the 2008 Mumbai shootings or the 2002 Bali bombings will be able to claim cash, but only if they have an “ongoing disability”. The claims can only go back to 2002, and those who apply must have lived in Britain for at least three years before the attacks and be British nationals or from the EU or EEA.

Clive Garner, the head of travel law for Irwin Mitchell, welcomed the news but said that £50,000 would not be enough to help many of the people who are most severely injured.
Like this news?

Comments » No published comments just yet for this article...

Feel free to have your say on this item. Go on... be the first!

Tell us Your Thoughts On This Piece:

Your Name *
Email * (not published, needs verification one time only)
  • Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • RSS feed
  • Facebook

Latest Headlines

News Links

News Archive