Romantic expats propose to counter Brexit effect

Published:  29 Jun at 6 PM
Want to get involved? Become a Featured Expat and take our interview.
Become a Local Expert and contribute articles.
Get in touch today!
One certain strategy to avoid being caught up in disastrous Brexit side-effects is to get married very quickly to your chosen Spanish partner Brits in long-term partnership with Spanish nationals are queuing up to pop the question in order to ensure their rights to stay in Spain after the UK finally leaves the EU.

‘Marry me so that I can stay here’ isn’t the most romantic of proposals but, provided the answer is ‘Yes’, it’s the fastest and most sure way to secure a happy future in the sun. Google searches on the subject of getting Spanish nationality have shot up since Brexit Thursday, with many hoping to get ahead of the two-year negotiation timetable by ensuring they’re entitled to remain long-term.

As in most other EU countries, bureaucracy reigns supreme as regards reams of documents and the need to register religious marriages with the local authority. The first task is to decide which legal form of marriage to choose out of the three available. As in the UK, the civil marriage gives the least complicated procedure and the least benefits. It ensures property and inheritance rights as well as rights to pensions and the right to adoption, and can be between same sex as well as heterosexual couples.

The second option is the civil partnership, recognised by the majority of the country’s autonomous communities and including registered co-habitations and civil unions. Available to same-sex couples, the rights conferred are for kinship, property and inheritances.

The more romantic option of religious marriage comes complete with all the trimmings just as it does in the UK, with the Protestant, Roman Catholic, Jewish and Muslim faiths all catered for. A second civil marriage isn’t necessary, and religious marriages attract the same legal status as do civil unions. Two points worth checking are your celebrant’s actual license to perform the ceremony, and whether he or she will register the marriage with the local town hall. If not, you will be given the necessary documents to do-it-yourself.

Documents required include a certificate of no impediment, a marital statement certificate or both, proving you’re free to get married. The CNI document pack can be downloaded, filled in and signed in the presence of a notary public before being sent to address given in the pack. Your local consulate will check the documents, approve them and display the notice of marriage for seven days, after which the celebrations can begin!
Like this news?

Comments » No published comments just yet for this article...

Feel free to have your say on this item. Go on... be the first!

Tell us Your Thoughts On This Piece:

Your Name *
Email * (not published, needs verification one time only)
  • Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • RSS feed
  • Facebook

Latest Headlines

News Links

News Archive