Chronicles of a Trailing Spouse...
Latest Blog Posts »
- Letter to my 13-year-old... 4 weeks ago I’ve been feeling old lately; my grey roots come back quicker than they used to, my face takes at least an hour to look normal in the mornings, and my knickers have become high-rise elasticated torture devices designed to contain the hateful middle age spread.What’s worse is the fact that the...
- Working mum v stay at home mum...it's not that simple... 2 months ago What is it about motherhood that makes women so nasty to each other? How often do you open a magazine or paper to read yet another article criticising stay-at-home mums for being unambitious and lazy or berating their working counterparts for being cold-hearted career bitches?The latest woman to...
- Without my daughter... 3 months ago Life in the outback presents many challenges; you can't get bread on a Tuesday, a broken school shoe isn't replaced easily, you can't hide on a bad-hair day since it's impossible to be anonymous. But one of the biggest challenges facing families up here is the question of education.For such a small...
- An unique Christmas gift from DH, courtesy of artist Natalie Briney... 4 months ago For Christmas DH got me possibly the most special and original gift ever. He commissioned a piece of art by Pilbara-based artist Natalie Briney, whose art I came across when I was covering the local annual art exhibition PACT (Pilbara Artists Coming Together) for a local paper last year. I loved...
- Homeschooling for idiots... 6 months ago Eldest son has been worrying me of late. His teacher has been on and off sick practically all year, necessitating his class being shared around the rest of the school - sometimes for days on end. Add in the fact that he changed schools in April, and it's fair to say he hasn't exactly thrived...
Contest Entries »
- Culture shock: why living upside down means Christmas in July Expat Culture Shock ‘Culture shock’, two words with a big meaning. I’ve lived in both the UAE and Australia over the past few years, and one would presume that the UAE would be the bigger shock in terms of culture, but it’s not true, Australia is every bit as...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Australia Bronze Award!
This blog won the Bronze Award for best expat blog in Australia!Copy and paste code to display the Bronze Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 36 reviews on Chronicles of a Trailing Spouse...
13:17 PM November 16, 2012
Brilliant, very very funny blog documenting an amazing journey with five children. Admirably honest and irreverant. What must be a trying journey is described with humour and resilience by someone who steadfastly refuses to let go of hope, love, life and family. Inspirational and worthy of many awards!
17:17 PM November 16, 2012
This blog always brings a smile to my face. Searingly honest, cringingly funny, always optimistic.
22:17 PM November 16, 2012
What a great read! We all know parenting can be a trial, but this blog helps us take it all in stride with a good laugh. Excellent writing and very funny - I would love to see a book from this author!
00:39 AM November 17, 2012
Chronicles never fails to brighten my day with its honesty, wit, and insight. I have followed the Trailng Spouse around the globe and have roared with laughter at the cock-eyed optimism shown when everyone else would have packed up and gone home. I have also railed in anger at the injustices faced in countries that call themselves civilized. I am currently enjoying the chance to get to know Australia, but wonder if it will be the final destination, or whether a new continent will catch the eye of this errant rover! Wonderful read, wonderful writer.
16:06 PM November 18, 2012
I love this blog, the author has such a humourous way at looking at life which never fails to brighten my day on reading. Keep the stories coming please!!
15:10 PM November 19, 2012
I love reading this blog, it always makes me laugh and the writer is always spot on with her observations. Give her an award!
15:26 PM November 19, 2012
I love this blog! It really tells it how it is! I always look forward to reading each one, they make me laugh and sometimes cry! Can't wait to read the next ones!
06:41 AM November 29, 2012
I love this blog, I guess because she mirrors many of my experiences and feelings, but writes about them in such a way that even the most infuriating or hopeless situations become hilarious anecdotes, and you soon learn that there is nothing that a muddy hug from your child, a glass of wine and a foot-rub from the hubby couldn't cure. Imagine Bridget Jones with half a dozen children :O)
10:29 AM November 29, 2012
Very good and touching. Funny and slightly frightening for us childless couples.
10:43 AM November 29, 2012
Love this blog, read every post. Her writing is superb and often, very touching.
06:15 AM November 30, 2012
I love this blog, my favourite at the moment. Fantastic writing style,always brings a smile to my face and long may the adventure continue !
23:50 PM December 02, 2012
Brilliant job! I love this blog, it always makes me smile! Great blog! x
18:38 PM December 03, 2012
Wonderfully written, always interesting and full to the brim with personality and charm. Makes me want to write.
05:56 AM December 04, 2012
Love this blog as it shows the funny side of life. It always makes me laugh, I also love the absolute honesty of bringing up five children, never miss it!
12:34 PM December 04, 2012
I have been reading this blog since Claire was living in the UAE and love it. As a mother of 3 living in Ireland I know how hard it is to bring up a family but to be a globe-trotting mum of 5 with DH working away this girl deserves a medal. Keep up the blog. Love it
15:06 PM December 04, 2012
I have been following and enjoying the cross-continental exploits of this writer and her ever-expanding family for several years now. From parenting peevs, to her attempts to return damaged goods in UAE, to disappointing airport reunions with absent spouses, the writer’s gifted and sharp writing style, brutal honesty and insightful reflections on life, love and culture turn even the most seemingly mundane (or downright stressful) events into the hilarious. Claire C is Bridget Jones with children – lots of children – and, armed with a passport, a few bottles of wine and a fabulous supply of illicitly-ordered Boden dresses, she never fails to make the most of what must often be a tough situation with wit and good humour. My one complaint is that she hasn’t published her adventures as a book for me to buy. A highly recommended blog and well deserving of every accolade she will no doubt accumulate as her readership grows.
17:47 PM December 04, 2012
I love, love, LOVE this Blog. As a trailing spouse myself, it is wonderful to read of another's antics and experiences abroad and Claire has such a wonderfully witty way with words that it leaves me in stitches every time. Keep it up, Claire! You are so very talented!
07:28 AM December 11, 2012
So much truth in these words, and they make me laugh my head off! Well done Claire! You must win this award, you're amazing! X
07:37 AM December 11, 2012
I too have been following this blog for a couple of years....in fact it's the only blog I actively follow. I always come away having had a giggle, Claire writes with such humour, I can really relate to her tales. Long may it continue its always the highlight of my day when a new entry is ready to read!
07:39 AM December 11, 2012
I love this blog.. amazing, wonderful and always makes me smile.. hope to read more very soon. xxx
12:42 PM December 11, 2012
Really enjoyed this blog and look forward to loads more reading! !
13:55 PM December 11, 2012
Love this blog. Great writing and always puts a smile on my face
23:03 PM December 12, 2012
Great blog. Looking forward to more :-)
23:54 PM December 13, 2012
Love this blog, it's the current theme tune to my life here in WA. The witty observations have me laughing out loud on a regular basis and the first class writing is a joy to read. Well done Claire, fingers crossed you win as you so deserve it.
11:10 AM December 18, 2012
love reading this blog find it funny and entertaining and look forward to each installment. first and only blog I've ever read!
12:29 PM December 18, 2012
Claire is one of the funniest people I've never met. Her blog, while giving us a detailed account of her personal life, has me crying hysterically while imagining what is happening. I eagerly look forward to Claire's blog. Would love to read it in a book. Publishers take note.
12:49 PM December 18, 2012
Love the funny, down to earth nature of the stories :)
12:54 PM December 18, 2012
Only new to this blog but I'm already hooked the humour of her words makes all our day to day problems feel normal with her honesty. We aren't the only one. Wonderful way with words x
13:08 PM December 18, 2012
Very entertaining blog, keep up the good work.
13:15 PM December 18, 2012
Great blog that really captures the essence of a FIFO wife in another country.
13:21 PM December 18, 2012
I have to say I really enjoy reading Claire's work, each instalment of her journey has me in hysterics and it is because not only does she have a clear knack for storytelling but she echoes the experiences of all of us epaths in Perth. The irritating realities of life in an unfamiliar country are turned into belly splitting humour. Now all I want is her to release a book :-) Good Luck to Claire she deserves this award!!!!!
13:22 PM December 18, 2012
Love this blog, portraying everyday life with lots of humor.
14:11 PM December 18, 2012
Makes me laugh every time, it's like Claire is reading my mind
14:19 PM December 18, 2012
Love this blog, always makes me laugh out load as a mum of 4 And an expat I know how she feels sometimes, great sense of Humour and great way with words : )
14:26 PM December 18, 2012
Brilliantly wrote, can't wait to read more.
22:23 PM December 18, 2012
Great blog! I really enjoy reading it. Keep up the good work!