Why I am not Skinny
Latest Blog Posts »
- Creamy Courgette Risotto 2 weeks ago I love risotto and so does HIM, the only negative part of making it is that you need to be in the kitchen the entire time, stirring the pot regularly and adding ladle fulls of stock as you go. Time consuming indeed, but so worth it when you set down to eat a bowl full … Continue reading Creamy...
- Crunchies (Oat Flapjacks) 3 weeks ago In South Africa – these biscuits are well known as *Crunchies* but in the UK, most people would refer to them as *Oat Flapjacks*. A crispy biscuit made of rolled oats & syrup… cut into squares and moreishly eaten with cups of tea. (PS – the reason for the radio silence is because we were in...
- Secret Gourmand...sweet and savoury tarts 2 months ago As HIM works in the Chatelain area – he found this boutique shop a few months ago (as you can see from an earlier instagram post) BUT I recently got treated to a Secret Gourmand delivery… which sported not one, but TWO delicious sweet tarts! Started in 2009 by 2 pie loving visionaries,...
- Chocolate Banana Coconut and Oat Pancakes 2 months ago I recently saw this recipe on Alida Ryder’s website (called Simply Delicious) – except hers didn’t have the coconut addition. Breakfast in our house is a very standard affair – especially for HIM… who always has 2 slices of toast with cheese & ham – while mine can vary from time to time...
- Corn Bread 2 months ago I absolutely love weekends… who doesn’t?? And I have found that Monkey (who turns 1 years old on Wednesday) is starting to engage in more and more solo play… which gives me back my hands and a little bit more time to get back into the kitchen to cook up a few things! This past … Continue...
Contest Entries »
- Top Tips and Suggestions for South Africans (and Other Expats) Living in Brussels Expat Blog Awards 2013 It has been 5years since I migrated from the land of sunshine, "yebo", braai's and beer to the somewhat colder location offering chocolate, frites and beer. Sensing a theme, yet? But to put it all into context... this has been the best...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2013: Belgium Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Belgium!Copy and paste code to display the Belgium Award Badge:
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Belgium Bronze Award!
This blog won the Bronze Award for best expat blog in Belgium!Copy and paste code to display the Bronze Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 19 reviews on Why I am not Skinny
14:52 PM November 20, 2012
We love whyiamnotskinny's excitement about restaurants, cooking, festivals and friendships. She has a beautiful way of bringing together friends from all over the world---which is why we follow her in America even after we moved home from Brussels!
14:56 PM November 20, 2012
Excellent blog - very well written in informal but accessible language, very descriptive content outlining the blogger's food experiences - generally very entertaining!
15:16 PM November 20, 2012
Very interesting blog, where not only can you find about new places to visit and drool over such tasty food, but you also find facts and curiosities about these places, its chefs and owner, or the countries they come from, and all this spiced with the author's refined humor. Definitely a blog to read once and again...and keep drooling about it
16:44 PM November 20, 2012
This blog keeps my tummy filled with chocolate and my heart filled with love.
18:18 PM November 20, 2012
Every BLOG written by 'whyiamnotskinny' is entertaining and filled with passion and the obvious love of food which i share with the blogger...i cant wait to visit Brussels and experience some of these 'YUM' restaurants!!! I wish this blogger would bring out a book as her style of writing is unique and always entertaining!
18:29 PM November 20, 2012
I love this blog! I've made several of Max's recipes and they're always delish. I also love her wit and writing style; she writes as though she's talking to a friend. In all, a fab droolicious read.
20:28 PM November 20, 2012
i just love reading Maxine,s wonderful descriptions of restaurants and food, and am also "not skinny", as am tempted by her inviting recipes.
06:07 AM November 21, 2012
This is my daily fix! I cannot survive without it - it makes me smile, it tantalises my taste buds and it gives me food for thought, body and soul! What more could I ask for.
07:08 AM November 21, 2012
Max simply has a way with words and food. She inspires one to sample, taste and experience what she loves best. I simply love to read about her wonderful experiences and am lucky enough to be apart of some of those. Whyimnotskinny is a heartfelt blog and an excellent read every time.
09:55 AM November 21, 2012
An utterly enticing, *moutwatering* blog: the photos, the descriptions, the humour ... it is all delectable! My appetite for this blog is insatiable. It is a perfect example of what blogs should be: informative, personal, funny, insightful - it leaves you longing for more. Please keep dishing it up!
20:47 PM November 21, 2012
Why I am not skinny? I blame it all on this website and I am proud of it. Recently I tried the banana and walnut bread, and that convinced me that this website deserves to be rated with 5 stars. I enjoy the writing style very much, it is a pity I don't live in Brussels, otherwise I would have tried some of the restaurants too! Great stuff!
11:49 AM November 22, 2012
Perfect for expats, whyiamnotskinny helps us break out of our comfort zones and try new places. Anywhere that gets a good review for customer service is going to be a must-try. And as for the recipes - I'm buying a new kitchen to be able to try them out and start entertaining myself, that's how good they are!!!
14:46 PM November 22, 2012
... makes us hungry and makes us eat, cook and enjoy food!the best is that I get to try some....
13:10 PM November 23, 2012
I've had the privilege of tasting quite a few of these yummy recipees myself! YUMM, YUMM, YUMM! But this blog is a lot more than just about food. It's the underlying stories of special friendships and shared joyful moments...
21:16 PM December 04, 2012
Great foodie tips, awesome restaurant reviews and of course entertaining. Whyimnotskinny is a must read for any hungry expat in Brussels.
08:15 AM December 06, 2012
Really makes me want to visit Brussels and travel to Europe. Great recipes too, a nice mix.
23:03 PM December 09, 2012
As a non-expat living in the Brussels area, whyiamnotskinny's is giving me new insights and a lot of ideas. Through the blog I discovered a lot of new places in my capital. Keep enjoying the Belgian savoir vivre and all the delicious food you'll find near Brussels... and keep writing about it of course.
19:48 PM December 13, 2012
As a former expat, this blog brings back great memories of my days living in Brussels. She has a great writing style and I love the pictures, stories and recipes. Reading whyiamnotskinny always brightens my day!
06:40 AM December 19, 2012
LOVE reading this blog. I love how it's written - it's almost as if I'm sitting beside the writer - it's like she's having a conversation with her readers. Very down to earth and witty. Great recipes, interesting reviews of restaurants and fabulous tips for getting out&about and appreciating all the culinary delights that Brussels has to offer. Gotta run - have a hot date at one of the restaurants mentioned. Ciao - I mean "chow down" for now. ahahahh ;-) Lara