Why I am not Skinny
Latest Blog Posts »
- fish, chips and craft beer at The Black Sheep, Brussels 18 hours ago Earlier this week, while the weather was pretty fine (for Brussels standards) – M and I walked down to Flagey and just a little further on, we headed into The Black Sheep – a very recent establishment that has opened up in the area. Promising Fish&Chips and Craft Beers… we were both VERY...
- Burgers at Hard Rock Cafe (Brussels) 2 days ago I remember when Hard Rock Cafe first opened in Cape Town… it was exciting… it was American… there were burgers & milkshakes… The only problem was that in South African currency – the menu prices were too high for the locals and of course, visiting tourists had a wide array of other foodie...
- Apricot Jam Biscuits 3 days ago Last week – I had a fit of nostalgia…. and was craving biscuits that my granny used to make… chocolate coconut biscuits (aka just like Romany Creams), cherry biscuits and of course – her apricot jam squares… but I didn’t have the actual recipe…. After a discussion with Mommabear –...
- Beautiful Fruit Salad 4 days ago As some of you might know… I love cheese. Now you are thinking… “What does cheese have to do with fruit salad?”… right? Well – truth be told – HIM got given a Raclette machine for his birthday last year (something that I have fallen in love with ever since I experience that first...
- Burgers at L'Amour Fou 1 week ago L’Amour Fou (otherwise known as “Crazy Love”) is a trendy (hipster-ish) spot on Fernand Cocq (almost directly opposite the Ixelles commune buildings). The restaurant had been recommended to me by a vegetarian colleague who stated that they had the best burgers in Brussels. I raised my...
Contest Entries »
- Top Tips and Suggestions for South Africans (and Other Expats) Living in Brussels Expat Blog Awards 2013 It has been 5years since I migrated from the land of sunshine, "yebo", braai's and beer to the somewhat colder location offering chocolate, frites and beer. Sensing a theme, yet? But to put it all into context... this has been the best...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2013: Belgium Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Belgium!Copy and paste code to display the Belgium Award Badge:
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Belgium Bronze Award!
This blog won the Bronze Award for best expat blog in Belgium!Copy and paste code to display the Bronze Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 19 reviews on Why I am not Skinny
14:52 PM November 20, 2012
We love whyiamnotskinny's excitement about restaurants, cooking, festivals and friendships. She has a beautiful way of bringing together friends from all over the world---which is why we follow her in America even after we moved home from Brussels!
14:56 PM November 20, 2012
Excellent blog - very well written in informal but accessible language, very descriptive content outlining the blogger's food experiences - generally very entertaining!
15:16 PM November 20, 2012
Very interesting blog, where not only can you find about new places to visit and drool over such tasty food, but you also find facts and curiosities about these places, its chefs and owner, or the countries they come from, and all this spiced with the author's refined humor. Definitely a blog to read once and again...and keep drooling about it
16:44 PM November 20, 2012
This blog keeps my tummy filled with chocolate and my heart filled with love.
18:18 PM November 20, 2012
Every BLOG written by 'whyiamnotskinny' is entertaining and filled with passion and the obvious love of food which i share with the blogger...i cant wait to visit Brussels and experience some of these 'YUM' restaurants!!! I wish this blogger would bring out a book as her style of writing is unique and always entertaining!
18:29 PM November 20, 2012
I love this blog! I've made several of Max's recipes and they're always delish. I also love her wit and writing style; she writes as though she's talking to a friend. In all, a fab droolicious read.
20:28 PM November 20, 2012
i just love reading Maxine,s wonderful descriptions of restaurants and food, and am also "not skinny", as am tempted by her inviting recipes.
06:07 AM November 21, 2012
This is my daily fix! I cannot survive without it - it makes me smile, it tantalises my taste buds and it gives me food for thought, body and soul! What more could I ask for.
07:08 AM November 21, 2012
Max simply has a way with words and food. She inspires one to sample, taste and experience what she loves best. I simply love to read about her wonderful experiences and am lucky enough to be apart of some of those. Whyimnotskinny is a heartfelt blog and an excellent read every time.
09:55 AM November 21, 2012
An utterly enticing, *moutwatering* blog: the photos, the descriptions, the humour ... it is all delectable! My appetite for this blog is insatiable. It is a perfect example of what blogs should be: informative, personal, funny, insightful - it leaves you longing for more. Please keep dishing it up!
20:47 PM November 21, 2012
Why I am not skinny? I blame it all on this website and I am proud of it. Recently I tried the banana and walnut bread, and that convinced me that this website deserves to be rated with 5 stars. I enjoy the writing style very much, it is a pity I don't live in Brussels, otherwise I would have tried some of the restaurants too! Great stuff!
11:49 AM November 22, 2012
Perfect for expats, whyiamnotskinny helps us break out of our comfort zones and try new places. Anywhere that gets a good review for customer service is going to be a must-try. And as for the recipes - I'm buying a new kitchen to be able to try them out and start entertaining myself, that's how good they are!!!
14:46 PM November 22, 2012
... makes us hungry and makes us eat, cook and enjoy food!the best is that I get to try some....
13:10 PM November 23, 2012
I've had the privilege of tasting quite a few of these yummy recipees myself! YUMM, YUMM, YUMM! But this blog is a lot more than just about food. It's the underlying stories of special friendships and shared joyful moments...
21:16 PM December 04, 2012
Great foodie tips, awesome restaurant reviews and of course entertaining. Whyimnotskinny is a must read for any hungry expat in Brussels.
08:15 AM December 06, 2012
Really makes me want to visit Brussels and travel to Europe. Great recipes too, a nice mix.
23:03 PM December 09, 2012
As a non-expat living in the Brussels area, whyiamnotskinny's is giving me new insights and a lot of ideas. Through the blog I discovered a lot of new places in my capital. Keep enjoying the Belgian savoir vivre and all the delicious food you'll find near Brussels... and keep writing about it of course.
19:48 PM December 13, 2012
As a former expat, this blog brings back great memories of my days living in Brussels. She has a great writing style and I love the pictures, stories and recipes. Reading whyiamnotskinny always brightens my day!
06:40 AM December 19, 2012
LOVE reading this blog. I love how it's written - it's almost as if I'm sitting beside the writer - it's like she's having a conversation with her readers. Very down to earth and witty. Great recipes, interesting reviews of restaurants and fabulous tips for getting out&about and appreciating all the culinary delights that Brussels has to offer. Gotta run - have a hot date at one of the restaurants mentioned. Ciao - I mean "chow down" for now. ahahahh ;-) Lara