American in Spain
Latest Blog Posts »
- Nora is Six! 6 days ago Today is Nora’s sixth birthday. She claims it’s the best birthday of her entire life. The past few days, she’s been asking if we have all her presents bought. A few of them did get purchased the day before, I will admit. Yesterday, she begged me to at least tell her “What are the dibujos...
- Solar Eclipse 2015 1 week ago This morning, from roughly 9am to 11am, Spanish time, there was solar eclipse. Here in northern Spain, it was expected to reach a peak of 80% eclipsage (should be a word). While jadedly pessimistic, I left all my cameras charging the night before, and got up a little earlier than usual to make sure...
- El Ratoncito Pérez - The Spanish Tooth Fairy 1 week ago On a previous post, I mentioned a list of parenting vocabulary that I had never had the occasion to learn in Spanish until becoming a parent. When my daughter, Nora, was about two, either through some cartoon or a stuffed animal, she and her Spanish grandparents began talking about el Ratoncito...
- Saturday at Parque de la Magdalena 2 weeks ago This past weekend, we spent Saturday afternoon in Santander, specifically on the peninsula that makes up the Parque de la Magdalena, which I consider the item at the very top of the “must see” list for Santander tourism. It was the first sunny day in a long time, and everybody was out there...
- Bellota - The Hamster 3 weeks ago Yesterday, our family got a little bigger. It has been a dream of my wife’s for many years to own a hamster. I like to watch the look on people’s faces when I tell them that my wife is a veterinarian, watch them say “Awww!”, and then say, “No, a slaughterhouse vet; she doesn’t make...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 5 reviews on American in Spain
19:31 PM November 26, 2012
It is a great blog, covering a wide-range of topics. What I like about it is that Erik makes important points or deep reflections about his home country and being an expat without being offensive to either. And his extremely cute daughter is everyone's experience of expat children!
20:13 PM November 26, 2012
Erik's blog is informative, witty, and a treat to read! I love hearing about his adventures with his daughter, who's super cute and intelligent! If you're an expat in Spain (or just are curious about us!), his blog is a must read.
21:07 PM November 26, 2012
Erik has a way of looking at the world that is informed, interesting, and inspiring. No subjects are off-topic for this blog, from observing his young daughter's grasp of two languages to the vibrant political situation in Spain and Europe to cooking something scrumptious for dinner to rediscovering a sunset in the town he calls home. His musings on expat life are honest, and as an expat I feel they are often peering into my own experience; he has a knack for touching on universal themes. I fall into Spanish life when reading his blog. Keen observation and often pithy language make this blog a delight to read. Well done to Erik!
13:45 PM November 27, 2012
What I like about Erik's blog is you really feel like he is living the dream with food, travel and family at the heart of a Spanish odyssey. Also his work rate is incredible. Not sure what his second job is because his first job seems to be blogging about his family and Spain.
22:48 PM November 27, 2012
If you are pressed for time, then visit Erik's blog for the pictures. Erik's keen interest in photography adds tremendous visual appeal to his blog. Still, it would be a shame to miss out on his remarkable insights on Spain, parenthood, and the expatriate experience. But his blog is not wedded to the expatriate theme; some of his best posts (if you don't count the ones on his daughter) relate his observations on random, unexpected topics.