Life in the armpit
Latest Blog Posts »
- Perspective 3 weeks ago Life has been beyond nuts in the armpit since my last post, and as I thought about which event to write about first, I started to think about perspective, and whether or not the glass is half empty. I thought about telling the story of Juan's truck, and how it was in police impound for over a...
- Social Differences in El Salvador 3 months ago I don't live in what I refer to as "the bushes" or what most consider a farm. I live in what is known as a caserio, or colonia - which is something like a burro version of a subdivision. The houses are butted up against each other, and if your neighbor puts on a second floor (like mine) they are...
- Looks Like They Got 'em Pretty Good 2 months ago During the weekend killing sprees, the army managed to kill 3 of the suspects. The bodies were handed over to the families, and arrangements were made for the wake Monday night, and the funeral Tuesday. Well.... Monday night, while everyone was chowing down on tamales, bread and coffee, the police...
- I Guess You Have to Believe Me Now 3 months ago With lines of communication still down, and families being harassed as they try and visit the jails, people started to get pissed. They are not warring inside of these jails as the government alluded, they have taken it to the street. It is still early, but so far the count is at 22 IN 2 DAYS! 22...
- To Catch a Thief 3 months ago Late last year, Juanito came across a hand-held game online that we both fell in love with. Not only did the bright white PSP Go look like a cell phone, it came with a slideable cover to protect its delicate parts. It also let you download games so no worries about dust messing that up...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: El Salvador Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in El Salvador!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on Life in the armpit
19:14 PM November 27, 2012
I love this blog. The stories are very real and it's truly an inside look to life in small town El Salvador.
19:17 PM November 27, 2012
The writer is refreshingly honest about all her trials and tribulations of living in El Salvador. With a little humor mixed in, it is very entertaining and educational. This blog is at the top of my list of favorites.
20:56 PM November 27, 2012
Jennifer keeps it real while tackling life in a foreign country. All the while, you can count on her to have something clever to say or a funny story to capture her daily life.
00:46 AM November 28, 2012
Jennifer shares her everyday life in El Salvador in a candid way mixed with a pinch of humor. Her blog not only entertains me, but it has helped me in a personal way. This blog is at the top of my list of favorite blogs.
16:33 PM November 28, 2012
Living outside of one's own country for an extended period of time is an experience that would benefit everyone. When never challenged by cultural experiences different from those you've known your whole life, it is far too easy to think that everyone has a worldview similar to the citizens of your own nation. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity or bravery to be an expatriate. For those who cannot, we are very fortunate that the internet has offered us a personal view into the experience with wonderful blogs like Life in the Armpit. The writer of Life takes us through the wonder, horror, fear, thrill, and, sometimes, absolute confusion and despair of making the transition from life in a very privileged nation to life in a nation where it is often a privilege to know you will make just enough money to feed your child. As the writer describes the devastation wrought by a simple storm, the lush natural beauty just five minutes from home, the normal social behaviors that are positively reversed from those of her home nation, or the value of the simplest pleasures that would have gone unnoticed in her former life, the reader can take these experiences and view her own life differently, enriched for all that she has become aware she has, amazed at the beauty of variety in the peoples of the world, and thankful that there is someone else, willing to live in an armpit, to help open her eyes to see this.
05:31 AM November 29, 2012
Jennifer gives us an honest look at what life in El Salvador is really like, with a humorous tone.
01:12 AM November 28, 2013
I feel like I know Jennifer. She is an excellent writer and really gives the reader of her blog and amazing picture of her experience. She is open and honest and not afraid to show vulnerabilities. I wish her much success as she moves down this amazing life path she has chosen!