Life in the armpit
Latest Blog Posts »
- There's Something About Clara 3 months ago You have all probably encountered a person in your life at one point or another. They are there, and even though they aren't being overtly rude or mean or obnoxious, you don't like 'em. Even when they go out of their way to be exceptionally nice, you look for what they are really after.That's the...
- The Benefit of Benefits 4 months ago So I lost it at the clinic yesterday....Obviously the money I was making in ES is not enough to cover the mountain of expenses in the US but.. There are benefits! Food stamps, assistance, and medical care. Yippee! Most of which you can apply for now online and then after verifying blah blah blah......
- Who The Hell Is Clara? 3 months ago The entire 40+ days starting on Christmas Eve were nothing short of bizarre, and there is likely a book just in those moments. But one of the most mysterious was/is Clara, and the way in which she used a tragedy to weasel in.She showed up in the morning of the 24th, right around the same time as...
- I Love This Article! 4 months ago I happened on this article by chance and fell in love. This says so much about the mindset of people in the United States and this attitude of being able to adopt what they want and like about a culture or country and treat the rest like trash. Kudos to the author. My personal situation and...
- Reverse Culture Shock 5 months ago The phrase was thrown at me by a friend as I lamented about the cost of bagels. Reverse culture shock. This is a real thing, and is what happens when you spend so many years outside of your comfort zone that a return to it literally puts you into shock.I keep starting sentences in Spanish, even at...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: El Salvador Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in El Salvador!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on Life in the armpit
19:14 PM November 27, 2012
I love this blog. The stories are very real and it's truly an inside look to life in small town El Salvador.
19:17 PM November 27, 2012
The writer is refreshingly honest about all her trials and tribulations of living in El Salvador. With a little humor mixed in, it is very entertaining and educational. This blog is at the top of my list of favorites.
20:56 PM November 27, 2012
Jennifer keeps it real while tackling life in a foreign country. All the while, you can count on her to have something clever to say or a funny story to capture her daily life.
00:46 AM November 28, 2012
Jennifer shares her everyday life in El Salvador in a candid way mixed with a pinch of humor. Her blog not only entertains me, but it has helped me in a personal way. This blog is at the top of my list of favorite blogs.
16:33 PM November 28, 2012
Living outside of one's own country for an extended period of time is an experience that would benefit everyone. When never challenged by cultural experiences different from those you've known your whole life, it is far too easy to think that everyone has a worldview similar to the citizens of your own nation. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity or bravery to be an expatriate. For those who cannot, we are very fortunate that the internet has offered us a personal view into the experience with wonderful blogs like Life in the Armpit. The writer of Life takes us through the wonder, horror, fear, thrill, and, sometimes, absolute confusion and despair of making the transition from life in a very privileged nation to life in a nation where it is often a privilege to know you will make just enough money to feed your child. As the writer describes the devastation wrought by a simple storm, the lush natural beauty just five minutes from home, the normal social behaviors that are positively reversed from those of her home nation, or the value of the simplest pleasures that would have gone unnoticed in her former life, the reader can take these experiences and view her own life differently, enriched for all that she has become aware she has, amazed at the beauty of variety in the peoples of the world, and thankful that there is someone else, willing to live in an armpit, to help open her eyes to see this.
05:31 AM November 29, 2012
Jennifer gives us an honest look at what life in El Salvador is really like, with a humorous tone.
01:12 AM November 28, 2013
I feel like I know Jennifer. She is an excellent writer and really gives the reader of her blog and amazing picture of her experience. She is open and honest and not afraid to show vulnerabilities. I wish her much success as she moves down this amazing life path she has chosen!