Life in the armpit
Latest Blog Posts »
- A New House Maid Tale 2 months ago You might think that I would never, ever let someone back in my house again except my neighbor extolled the virtues of this lady so much that I couldn't resist. Plus, she lives far, far away. Like 3 buses, 1 hour trip away. No gossip worries there.It was love at first sight. She is almost...
- The House Maid Tale 2 months ago As my good friends will tell you, when I get as quiet as I have been for the last few months, it is because something pretty big is up. Yes, work has kept me off of blogger, but sometimes when things happen I need a few days, or in this case weeks to recover before I can talk about it or anything...
- What It's Really Like 4 months ago In case any of you out there have this idealized version of what it means to live in a 3rd world country, let's set the record straight. Marital issues aside, living in El Salvador can be a series of events that lead to you scratching your ass as you walk down the street.I have 2 jobs that...
- A Bit More Then I Can Chew 6 months ago I don't even remember the last time I posted, but I was compelled to tonight after reading the 3rd message in a week wondering if were OK. We are, and I am thankful to know that there are people out there you think of me and Juanito.I know I posted about finding another on-line job, writing....
- Wait And See 9 months ago I don't like to tell a story that has no ending, so I have been holding back for a couple of months now waiting for something to resolve, yet as I suspected there is no resolution because it was all a load of bullshit to begin with. I had to put a halt on the ice-cream for a little while as we...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: El Salvador Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in El Salvador!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on Life in the armpit
19:14 PM November 27, 2012
I love this blog. The stories are very real and it's truly an inside look to life in small town El Salvador.
19:17 PM November 27, 2012
The writer is refreshingly honest about all her trials and tribulations of living in El Salvador. With a little humor mixed in, it is very entertaining and educational. This blog is at the top of my list of favorites.
20:56 PM November 27, 2012
Jennifer keeps it real while tackling life in a foreign country. All the while, you can count on her to have something clever to say or a funny story to capture her daily life.
00:46 AM November 28, 2012
Jennifer shares her everyday life in El Salvador in a candid way mixed with a pinch of humor. Her blog not only entertains me, but it has helped me in a personal way. This blog is at the top of my list of favorite blogs.
16:33 PM November 28, 2012
Living outside of one's own country for an extended period of time is an experience that would benefit everyone. When never challenged by cultural experiences different from those you've known your whole life, it is far too easy to think that everyone has a worldview similar to the citizens of your own nation. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity or bravery to be an expatriate. For those who cannot, we are very fortunate that the internet has offered us a personal view into the experience with wonderful blogs like Life in the Armpit. The writer of Life takes us through the wonder, horror, fear, thrill, and, sometimes, absolute confusion and despair of making the transition from life in a very privileged nation to life in a nation where it is often a privilege to know you will make just enough money to feed your child. As the writer describes the devastation wrought by a simple storm, the lush natural beauty just five minutes from home, the normal social behaviors that are positively reversed from those of her home nation, or the value of the simplest pleasures that would have gone unnoticed in her former life, the reader can take these experiences and view her own life differently, enriched for all that she has become aware she has, amazed at the beauty of variety in the peoples of the world, and thankful that there is someone else, willing to live in an armpit, to help open her eyes to see this.
05:31 AM November 29, 2012
Jennifer gives us an honest look at what life in El Salvador is really like, with a humorous tone.
01:12 AM November 28, 2013
I feel like I know Jennifer. She is an excellent writer and really gives the reader of her blog and amazing picture of her experience. She is open and honest and not afraid to show vulnerabilities. I wish her much success as she moves down this amazing life path she has chosen!