Life in the armpit
Latest Blog Posts »
- Baby Steps 2 days ago I have so much fear that one year from now I will still be here, still feeling like a bunny stuck in the corner surrounded by dogs.Dolfo has left the building. This was not an easy decision to come to, and I feel badly in a way for the way in which things went down, but I don't need another anchor...
- The Endless Pursuit of Pussy 1 week ago Over the last 3 years, I have come to be amazed at the great lengths - and lies - that a man will go to in order to nab some pussy. Throughout that time, we have been in various stages of the relationship - attempting reconciliation, demand for respect or get out, numbness and of course hatred. At...
- Violencia 2 months ago I was around 19, tripping on acid and outside of a club in the wee hours before dawn. As I looked down a side street I could see the shadow of my boyfriend's brother under a streetlamp, and lost my breath as I watched that shadow raise a golf club over his head and with force drop it down onto...
- The Dentist 2 months ago It started about 6 months ago. A day where I could not chew on my right side, or a blaring pain when trying to sleep at night. Inspection showed a long crack in the tooth from top to bottom, and slightly tapping it sent shock waves to my brain.I got the courage back in July to enter a dentist's...
- The Whipped Cream Sandwich 1 month ago Let's just start this off by saying you should never ask an 11 year-old what they want for dia de nino. First off, who the hell thought of this holiday anyway? We don't have a kid's day. In fact, had you asked my father he would have told you that everyday is kid's day.But I guess I spoil my...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: El Salvador Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in El Salvador!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on Life in the armpit
19:14 PM November 27, 2012
I love this blog. The stories are very real and it's truly an inside look to life in small town El Salvador.
19:17 PM November 27, 2012
The writer is refreshingly honest about all her trials and tribulations of living in El Salvador. With a little humor mixed in, it is very entertaining and educational. This blog is at the top of my list of favorites.
20:56 PM November 27, 2012
Jennifer keeps it real while tackling life in a foreign country. All the while, you can count on her to have something clever to say or a funny story to capture her daily life.
00:46 AM November 28, 2012
Jennifer shares her everyday life in El Salvador in a candid way mixed with a pinch of humor. Her blog not only entertains me, but it has helped me in a personal way. This blog is at the top of my list of favorite blogs.
16:33 PM November 28, 2012
Living outside of one's own country for an extended period of time is an experience that would benefit everyone. When never challenged by cultural experiences different from those you've known your whole life, it is far too easy to think that everyone has a worldview similar to the citizens of your own nation. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity or bravery to be an expatriate. For those who cannot, we are very fortunate that the internet has offered us a personal view into the experience with wonderful blogs like Life in the Armpit. The writer of Life takes us through the wonder, horror, fear, thrill, and, sometimes, absolute confusion and despair of making the transition from life in a very privileged nation to life in a nation where it is often a privilege to know you will make just enough money to feed your child. As the writer describes the devastation wrought by a simple storm, the lush natural beauty just five minutes from home, the normal social behaviors that are positively reversed from those of her home nation, or the value of the simplest pleasures that would have gone unnoticed in her former life, the reader can take these experiences and view her own life differently, enriched for all that she has become aware she has, amazed at the beauty of variety in the peoples of the world, and thankful that there is someone else, willing to live in an armpit, to help open her eyes to see this.
05:31 AM November 29, 2012
Jennifer gives us an honest look at what life in El Salvador is really like, with a humorous tone.
01:12 AM November 28, 2013
I feel like I know Jennifer. She is an excellent writer and really gives the reader of her blog and amazing picture of her experience. She is open and honest and not afraid to show vulnerabilities. I wish her much success as she moves down this amazing life path she has chosen!