Life in the armpit
Latest Blog Posts »
- Wait And See 3 months ago I don't like to tell a story that has no ending, so I have been holding back for a couple of months now waiting for something to resolve, yet as I suspected there is no resolution because it was all a load of bullshit to begin with. I had to put a halt on the ice-cream for a little while as we...
- Karate 3 months ago Oh my, how time flies. I feel terrible that I have fallen so behind with all my posts and there is so much to share. I am pounding this out fast because I found it hilarious and, well, I don't think anyone here in sunny El Salvador will get the joke.To start, I signed Juani up for karate...
- Sunday Juani Day 4 months ago Well, at least in one aspect my son has some of my genes. Not math, but reading and writing. I think he has been watching me with all these different writing projects the last few weeks and decided to try it out on his own. He also asked me to buy him a book about legends in El Salvador. So...
- What A Weekend 4 months ago As I have already shared, I have been doing some writing on the side. Ghost writing if you want to call it that. I have a 30 article a week committment. Same boring subject matter each week. And I am a procrastinator so it was no surprise that Saturday morning I still had 17 articles to...
- The Communion, The Girlfriend and the Toreado 4 months ago The big event has finally come and gone. Thank Goodness. It was really stressing me out. Get this, do that, it was almost like preparing for a wedding. But my son has finally made his first communion. And I have finally laid eyes on the mysterious Andrea, the young lady who has stolen his...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: El Salvador Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in El Salvador!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on Life in the armpit
19:14 PM November 27, 2012
I love this blog. The stories are very real and it's truly an inside look to life in small town El Salvador.
19:17 PM November 27, 2012
The writer is refreshingly honest about all her trials and tribulations of living in El Salvador. With a little humor mixed in, it is very entertaining and educational. This blog is at the top of my list of favorites.
20:56 PM November 27, 2012
Jennifer keeps it real while tackling life in a foreign country. All the while, you can count on her to have something clever to say or a funny story to capture her daily life.
00:46 AM November 28, 2012
Jennifer shares her everyday life in El Salvador in a candid way mixed with a pinch of humor. Her blog not only entertains me, but it has helped me in a personal way. This blog is at the top of my list of favorite blogs.
16:33 PM November 28, 2012
Living outside of one's own country for an extended period of time is an experience that would benefit everyone. When never challenged by cultural experiences different from those you've known your whole life, it is far too easy to think that everyone has a worldview similar to the citizens of your own nation. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity or bravery to be an expatriate. For those who cannot, we are very fortunate that the internet has offered us a personal view into the experience with wonderful blogs like Life in the Armpit. The writer of Life takes us through the wonder, horror, fear, thrill, and, sometimes, absolute confusion and despair of making the transition from life in a very privileged nation to life in a nation where it is often a privilege to know you will make just enough money to feed your child. As the writer describes the devastation wrought by a simple storm, the lush natural beauty just five minutes from home, the normal social behaviors that are positively reversed from those of her home nation, or the value of the simplest pleasures that would have gone unnoticed in her former life, the reader can take these experiences and view her own life differently, enriched for all that she has become aware she has, amazed at the beauty of variety in the peoples of the world, and thankful that there is someone else, willing to live in an armpit, to help open her eyes to see this.
05:31 AM November 29, 2012
Jennifer gives us an honest look at what life in El Salvador is really like, with a humorous tone.
01:12 AM November 28, 2013
I feel like I know Jennifer. She is an excellent writer and really gives the reader of her blog and amazing picture of her experience. She is open and honest and not afraid to show vulnerabilities. I wish her much success as she moves down this amazing life path she has chosen!