Life in the armpit
Latest Blog Posts »
- Meet Mary 3 weeks ago I believe I mentioned that we have some new 2-legged and 4-legged freinds in the house. BTW, turns out the chicken is a rooster, so if anyone has a hankering for some pollo indio for dinner look me up. I am not fond of chickens, but roosters and their friggin' cock a doodle dooing really ruffles my...
- Who Does This? 3 months ago Or... Why You Should Not Play With Pepper SprayOr... Why Drunk People SuckA typical Friday for me is extremely busy. In addition to my main writing gig, where anything can come up, it is the due date of a side job that I stupidly took and now am stuck with. And since I am the queen of...
- What's New at the Zoo Now 3 months ago My home is a revolving door of various types of animal life. Some stay for long periods of time, while others, like that damn goat, are fleeting fast memories. At the moment we still have Lucy, and are looking for her mate, the darn useless cat - Ethel.We also have a very vocal perico that was...
- Just an Observation - is it Me? 3 months ago Some may classify me as the slightly obsessive. Years of restaurant work has me rotating everything, including clothes and in my house everything has its place. Not that it doesn't get messy or even dirty, but when it comes to organizing my stuff - let me repeat - everything has its place.I am now...
- Still Can't Believe My Luck 3 months ago So it looks as though I already missed 2 days of my 365 straight mission. Not really sure how to even explain the amount of work I suddenly have, but my eyes and fingers actually hurt. So please forgive me (and if you know of anyone who loves to write and wants to make some money give them my...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: El Salvador Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in El Salvador!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 7 reviews on Life in the armpit
19:14 PM November 27, 2012
I love this blog. The stories are very real and it's truly an inside look to life in small town El Salvador.
19:17 PM November 27, 2012
The writer is refreshingly honest about all her trials and tribulations of living in El Salvador. With a little humor mixed in, it is very entertaining and educational. This blog is at the top of my list of favorites.
20:56 PM November 27, 2012
Jennifer keeps it real while tackling life in a foreign country. All the while, you can count on her to have something clever to say or a funny story to capture her daily life.
00:46 AM November 28, 2012
Jennifer shares her everyday life in El Salvador in a candid way mixed with a pinch of humor. Her blog not only entertains me, but it has helped me in a personal way. This blog is at the top of my list of favorite blogs.
16:33 PM November 28, 2012
Living outside of one's own country for an extended period of time is an experience that would benefit everyone. When never challenged by cultural experiences different from those you've known your whole life, it is far too easy to think that everyone has a worldview similar to the citizens of your own nation. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity or bravery to be an expatriate. For those who cannot, we are very fortunate that the internet has offered us a personal view into the experience with wonderful blogs like Life in the Armpit. The writer of Life takes us through the wonder, horror, fear, thrill, and, sometimes, absolute confusion and despair of making the transition from life in a very privileged nation to life in a nation where it is often a privilege to know you will make just enough money to feed your child. As the writer describes the devastation wrought by a simple storm, the lush natural beauty just five minutes from home, the normal social behaviors that are positively reversed from those of her home nation, or the value of the simplest pleasures that would have gone unnoticed in her former life, the reader can take these experiences and view her own life differently, enriched for all that she has become aware she has, amazed at the beauty of variety in the peoples of the world, and thankful that there is someone else, willing to live in an armpit, to help open her eyes to see this.
05:31 AM November 29, 2012
Jennifer gives us an honest look at what life in El Salvador is really like, with a humorous tone.
01:12 AM November 28, 2013
I feel like I know Jennifer. She is an excellent writer and really gives the reader of her blog and amazing picture of her experience. She is open and honest and not afraid to show vulnerabilities. I wish her much success as she moves down this amazing life path she has chosen!