Life in Dar
Latest Blog Posts »
- November 27, 2015 - Thankful! 4 hours ago Usually I am a little bit sad on Thanksgiving and Fourth of July. To me, these are truly American holidays that never quite feel the way they are supposed to when we're over here sweltering in Dar's almost-December heat. Twice we had very nice Thanksgiving celebrations in Nairobi, including one...
- November 16, 2015 - This Too Shall Pass 1 week ago I find it hard to blog when life feels a bit depressing. We haven't been getting much sleep lately. Aya got 5 new teeth in one week and that is causing her to be awake for HOURS in the middle of every night. At least we think that is the cause (Good Lord, please don't tell me there is...
- November 9, 2015 - Election 2015 Results 2 weeks ago While we were away in South Africa, Tanzania held elections for their 5th government/President. By most accounts, voting day was peaceful and went well. There were a few small security incidents, but nothing "significant". And there was a bit of delay with the results, which made it very...
- November 7, 2015 - The Great Cape (Town) Escape Conclusion 2 weeks ago So that was it, folks. Our big adventure in South Africa! Cape Town itself is/was so beautiful and exciting - there is so much to do, we really just scratched the surface. But traveling with 3 little kids is hard work! And I think we managed to do the most we possibly could. Everyday there...
- November 6, 2015 - The Great Cape (Town) Escape Part 5 3 weeks ago Days 8 and 9!When we said goodbye to Old MacDaddy's, we headed a bit closer back towards Cape Town so that our commute to the airport at 4:00 am on Saturday wouldn't be quite as brutal (but I mean, come on...who were we kidding?!). While I knew that spending days doing wine tastings throughout...
Contest Entries »
- Family Rules Writing Contest October 2012 When you move to a different country, the word change is completely insufficient to describe everything you experience compared to your “old life at home”. Since moving to East Africa almost five years ago and making another international move...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Tanzania Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Tanzania!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 8 reviews on Life in Dar
14:19 PM October 21, 2012
Love your blog Lisa!!!
00:42 AM October 22, 2012
One of my favorite blogs to read - Excellent balance of expat perspectives and cultural insight - all while having a "real life" approach.
20:02 PM October 22, 2012
21:02 PM October 22, 2012
Great blog with awesome insights, fun times and struggles of how one American/Danish family lives in Tanzania.
23:55 PM October 22, 2012
So interesting on so many topics: parenting, ex-pat daily living, African culture, travel, politics, etc. Always entertaining and real!
09:00 AM October 23, 2012
I first read your blog in 2008. I find you focused and that you have kept your writing clear, easy to read and relate to . This has made your blog very engaging at all times. Thank you Lisa.
16:40 PM October 28, 2012
LOVE this blog! Very funny, very personal, and very well-written....
20:24 PM October 31, 2012
If it were not for Lisa Welsein's blog her many fiends and relatives would spend several years worrying instead, we know she and the family are fine and as a bonus we have all learned a great deal about South Africa that may not be learned from a text book no matter how many you read. This blog is simply amazing, educational, funny, heartwarming and informative and while it is personal - it should, be picked up by some publisher so readers, in addition to friends and relatives, might have the benefit and privilege of this extraordinay narrative! I guess you might say I like it - NO I LOVE IT!!!