Life in Dar
Latest Blog Posts »
- June 29, 2017 - After Africa 11 months ago Fourteen years ago today, my sister and her neighbor comically set me up with a cute European guy who was working at their town YMCA for the summer. We met over watermelon and beer, and when he said he wanted to visit Boston for the first time, one of them told him, "Lisa will show you around!"...
- June 26, 2017 - Life in the Past Year 11 months ago We're winding down here, with only one blog to go after this. If I had been blogging in the last year, these photos might have made the cut...Saying goodbye to "our" beach at the DYC...Goodbye pictures with Oliver and Christopher before our furniture left. Each of our kids has these pictures in...
- June 21, 2017 - Kristoffer 11 months ago When I met Kristoffer in 2003, it was clear to me even then that Africa was his dream. For some reason, he had a thing about Kenya. He made some good decisions and took some risks and was very persistent, until he got his UN WFP job in Nairobi in December of 2007. He rode that JPO train...
- June 19, 2017 - Aya 11 months ago Our sweet Aya, our only American born baby, landed in Dar for the first time when she was 6 weeks old, to no hot water and a very moldy house, if I recall correctly. But she soon got used to life under a mosquito net, doting big siblings and their friends, being hot pretty much all the time, a...
- June 17, 2017 - One Year Later 11 months ago We left one year ago today. That is hard to believe. I'll get back to my wrap-up blogs tomorrow...I think there are 4 left. But for now, this is a small slideshow I made last year when we left, set to a beautiful version of the Tanzanian National Anthem. Even though we were so excited...
Contest Entries »
- Family Rules Writing Contest October 2012 When you move to a different country, the word change is completely insufficient to describe everything you experience compared to your “old life at home”. Since moving to East Africa almost five years ago and making another international move...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Tanzania Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Tanzania!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 8 reviews on Life in Dar
14:19 PM October 21, 2012
Love your blog Lisa!!!
00:42 AM October 22, 2012
One of my favorite blogs to read - Excellent balance of expat perspectives and cultural insight - all while having a "real life" approach.
20:02 PM October 22, 2012
21:02 PM October 22, 2012
Great blog with awesome insights, fun times and struggles of how one American/Danish family lives in Tanzania.
23:55 PM October 22, 2012
So interesting on so many topics: parenting, ex-pat daily living, African culture, travel, politics, etc. Always entertaining and real!
09:00 AM October 23, 2012
I first read your blog in 2008. I find you focused and that you have kept your writing clear, easy to read and relate to . This has made your blog very engaging at all times. Thank you Lisa.
16:40 PM October 28, 2012
LOVE this blog! Very funny, very personal, and very well-written....
20:24 PM October 31, 2012
If it were not for Lisa Welsein's blog her many fiends and relatives would spend several years worrying instead, we know she and the family are fine and as a bonus we have all learned a great deal about South Africa that may not be learned from a text book no matter how many you read. This blog is simply amazing, educational, funny, heartwarming and informative and while it is personal - it should, be picked up by some publisher so readers, in addition to friends and relatives, might have the benefit and privilege of this extraordinay narrative! I guess you might say I like it - NO I LOVE IT!!!