Life in Dar
Latest Blog Posts »
- January 31, 2016 - "You Should See the Other Guy" 1 week ago This past week was a tough one for us. Aya took a very bad fall in our bathroom and cut her head open just above her right eye. She is perfectly fine now - there was no fracture, no concussion, her vision was not affected that we know of, and she is getting her stitches out tomorrow. She has...
- January 22 & 23, 2016 - The Big Five 1 week ago In East Africa, "the big five" usually refers to a well-known group of African animals (lion, buffalo, rhino, elephant and leopard). But in Tanzania this weekend, "the Big Five" was reserved for our Noah who celebrated his 5th birthday with a "safari" theme.Noah is a really cool kid. He loves...
- January 20, 2016 - Best of Dar 2 weeks ago You may or may not have noticed, but I completely forgot to ever complete the "Best of Dar" page on this blog. Oops! Let's just chalk that four year delay up to sleep deprivation. But it's there now! I did it! Finally!So, if you have actually checked this blog because you are going to...
- January 18, 2016 - Indian Bingo 2 weeks ago It has taken us...eh hem...almost 4 years, but we finally experienced the cultural institution of Indian Bingo here in Dar es Salaam. Twice, actually, with two different groups of friends! For the last two Friday nights, we headed into town to the Upanga Club for Friday night Bingo. Dar has a...
- January 4, 2016 - Big Girl 1 month ago To kick off the new year fully, today was Aya's first day of "pre-school" here in Dar (and big thanks that the big kids were back to school as well after 3 pretty boring vacation weeks!). She'll be going 3 mornings a week (just 3 hours) to start. We've been talking about it a lot at home so at...
Contest Entries »
- Family Rules Writing Contest October 2012 When you move to a different country, the word change is completely insufficient to describe everything you experience compared to your “old life at home”. Since moving to East Africa almost five years ago and making another international move...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Tanzania Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Tanzania!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 8 reviews on Life in Dar
14:19 PM October 21, 2012
Love your blog Lisa!!!
00:42 AM October 22, 2012
One of my favorite blogs to read - Excellent balance of expat perspectives and cultural insight - all while having a "real life" approach.
20:02 PM October 22, 2012
21:02 PM October 22, 2012
Great blog with awesome insights, fun times and struggles of how one American/Danish family lives in Tanzania.
23:55 PM October 22, 2012
So interesting on so many topics: parenting, ex-pat daily living, African culture, travel, politics, etc. Always entertaining and real!
09:00 AM October 23, 2012
I first read your blog in 2008. I find you focused and that you have kept your writing clear, easy to read and relate to . This has made your blog very engaging at all times. Thank you Lisa.
16:40 PM October 28, 2012
LOVE this blog! Very funny, very personal, and very well-written....
20:24 PM October 31, 2012
If it were not for Lisa Welsein's blog her many fiends and relatives would spend several years worrying instead, we know she and the family are fine and as a bonus we have all learned a great deal about South Africa that may not be learned from a text book no matter how many you read. This blog is simply amazing, educational, funny, heartwarming and informative and while it is personal - it should, be picked up by some publisher so readers, in addition to friends and relatives, might have the benefit and privilege of this extraordinay narrative! I guess you might say I like it - NO I LOVE IT!!!