Life in Dar
Latest Blog Posts »
- September 11, 2014 - As Always 6 days ago Today is a day of rememberance. I was looking through some old papers the other day and found this piece I wrote after 9/11. It was published in a Syracuse newspaper as a letter to the editor. I was a wee bit over-the-top in hindsight, but writing was a way to help me deal with my experience...
- September 10, 2014 - A Day to Remember 1 week ago Once upon a time, a beautiful little boy was born. There will soon be a day to remember our grief that his life didn't last very long, but today is a day to celebrate the gift that his life was. Thinking of our nephew, sweet Kyle Michael, on what would have been his second birthday. And...
- September 9, 2014 - Family Ties 1 week ago For the past week, we've been actively engaged with Kristoffer's uncle and aunt, Gert and Kitte, who visited us from Denmark after they went on Safari and to Zanzibar. One week was a perfect amount of time with them because they could see all aspects of our daily life (traffic! school car pool!...
- August 31, 2014 - Sitting Up! 2 weeks ago At 4 months and 9 days old, Aya can now sit up by herself. No, she can't get into that position by herself of course. And she doesn't last more than about 3 or 4 minutes before toppling over. But she CAN do it and seems to almost prefer it to laying down. One month earlier than Noah did it,...
- August 2, 2014 - Growing Pains 2 weeks ago It's been a tough week (few weeks?) for us. Grace's start in Kindergarten has been a roller coaster: she is really happy at school and loves it there, but is so exhausted that her behavior at home leaves a lot to be desired. She also had one physical fight with another child already :( We...
Contest Entries »
- Family Rules Writing Contest October 2012 When you move to a different country, the word change is completely insufficient to describe everything you experience compared to your “old life at home”. Since moving to East Africa almost five years ago and making another international move...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Tanzania Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Tanzania!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 8 reviews on Life in Dar
14:19 PM October 21, 2012
Love your blog Lisa!!!
00:42 AM October 22, 2012
One of my favorite blogs to read - Excellent balance of expat perspectives and cultural insight - all while having a "real life" approach.
20:02 PM October 22, 2012
21:02 PM October 22, 2012
Great blog with awesome insights, fun times and struggles of how one American/Danish family lives in Tanzania.
23:55 PM October 22, 2012
So interesting on so many topics: parenting, ex-pat daily living, African culture, travel, politics, etc. Always entertaining and real!
09:00 AM October 23, 2012
I first read your blog in 2008. I find you focused and that you have kept your writing clear, easy to read and relate to . This has made your blog very engaging at all times. Thank you Lisa.
16:40 PM October 28, 2012
LOVE this blog! Very funny, very personal, and very well-written....
20:24 PM October 31, 2012
If it were not for Lisa Welsein's blog her many fiends and relatives would spend several years worrying instead, we know she and the family are fine and as a bonus we have all learned a great deal about South Africa that may not be learned from a text book no matter how many you read. This blog is simply amazing, educational, funny, heartwarming and informative and while it is personal - it should, be picked up by some publisher so readers, in addition to friends and relatives, might have the benefit and privilege of this extraordinay narrative! I guess you might say I like it - NO I LOVE IT!!!