Life in Dar
Latest Blog Posts »
- February 26, 2015 - Our Girl 2 days ago She did it again. Aged another year. God bless our girl! Kristoffer was away last night for work and Grace LITERALLY could not sleep. From 10 pm to 2 am she came in to my room (where Aya was also sleeping because her room was painted yesterday) every 20 minutes. Every. 20. Minutes. I...
- February 21, 2015 - Double Digits! 1 week ago From 9 to 10 months old, a lot happened in Aya's world. You already know that she started saying "Mama"(and making lots of more word-like sounds), but that's not nearly all!She started taking on more household chores - sporting her Syracuse orange too! She saw her first deceased snake behind our...
- February 15, 2015 - Busy, Busy, Busy 1 week ago February has been a really busy month for us! First we had wonderful visitors! Kristoffer's cousins, Aja (The original Aja, actually! Yes! pronounced the same as our Aya!), and her son, Mads, came to visit us for some days before going on a Tanzanian safari. The very sad news is that Mads got...
- February 14, 2015 - Hearts Full 2 weeks ago For the past two years, during this week, I have tried to honor the memory of my nephew Kyle by posting every day for Congenital Heart Defect (CHD) Awareness Week. This year, sadly, I did not have my act together enough to do it. Today is the last day of the awareness week, though, so I'm...
- February 13, 2015 - This Year's Fastelavn 2 weeks ago Fastelavn is a Nordic, especially a Danish, tradition that involves kids dressing up in costumes and hitting a barrel/pinata for goodie bags. A simple-minded American like myself might think of it as the "Danish Halloween." And today was the day!Noah was insanely cute in full costume as Darth...
Contest Entries »
- Family Rules Writing Contest October 2012 When you move to a different country, the word change is completely insufficient to describe everything you experience compared to your “old life at home”. Since moving to East Africa almost five years ago and making another international move...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Tanzania Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Tanzania!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 8 reviews on Life in Dar
14:19 PM October 21, 2012
Love your blog Lisa!!!
00:42 AM October 22, 2012
One of my favorite blogs to read - Excellent balance of expat perspectives and cultural insight - all while having a "real life" approach.
20:02 PM October 22, 2012
21:02 PM October 22, 2012
Great blog with awesome insights, fun times and struggles of how one American/Danish family lives in Tanzania.
23:55 PM October 22, 2012
So interesting on so many topics: parenting, ex-pat daily living, African culture, travel, politics, etc. Always entertaining and real!
09:00 AM October 23, 2012
I first read your blog in 2008. I find you focused and that you have kept your writing clear, easy to read and relate to . This has made your blog very engaging at all times. Thank you Lisa.
16:40 PM October 28, 2012
LOVE this blog! Very funny, very personal, and very well-written....
20:24 PM October 31, 2012
If it were not for Lisa Welsein's blog her many fiends and relatives would spend several years worrying instead, we know she and the family are fine and as a bonus we have all learned a great deal about South Africa that may not be learned from a text book no matter how many you read. This blog is simply amazing, educational, funny, heartwarming and informative and while it is personal - it should, be picked up by some publisher so readers, in addition to friends and relatives, might have the benefit and privilege of this extraordinay narrative! I guess you might say I like it - NO I LOVE IT!!!