Latest Blog Posts »
- Locks of Love- Candados de Amor 3 days ago In a recent twitter chat about Mexico, I described the country as being full of magic. I had a friend staying with me in Oaxaca who said ‘there is just something about this place, it is magical’ and I couldn’t agree more. It is no surprise to me that magical realism literature seems to pour...
- Mexican Spotlight: Newport Beach Film Fest 1 week ago It is currently a really exciting time for the Mexican film industry. It seems like every month there is a new and interesting Mexican film out in the cinemas. This increase in Mexico film productions has a lot to do with a tax incentive implemented in 2006 by Mexican Institute of Cinemas (IMCINE)....
- Becoming Culturally Mexican? 4 weeks ago Photo by Nikhol Esteras Photography for Chido Bueno “The thing is when you live abroad, you have to make a decision; are you prepared to give up some of your own culture to make way for the local culture to take its place?” I have never forgotten these words spoken to me by my best …
- Life in Green and White 2 months ago As some of you may know, as well as writing Mexico Retold and articles about my beloved Mexico, I am also writing a novel set in Chiapas. For as long as I can remember I have wanted to be a writer, but somehow life took me in other directions (academia, NGO sector) for a while. …
- Interview with Writer, Carmen Amato 1 month ago I first came across Carmen Amato’s work, via the global connector that is Twitter. The titles of her books intrigued me and the way she wrote about them intrigued me even more. I tried to get her books, but it was a bit tricky from Oaxaca. Luckily I found her short story The Beast on Huffignton...
Contest Entries »
- The Way to a Country's Heart is Through its Stomach Expat Culture Shock Eating, probably one of the most important parts of the day and probably one of things that alter most when moving to another country. In Oaxaca, Mexico adapting to eating patterns can take a while. Think about how you eat. Do you buy your...
- Top 6 Spanish Words That Make me Speak Spanglish in Mexico Expat Blog Awards 2013 I have a confession to make. I used to think people who spoke Spanglish were just being lazy or worse just showing off their proficiency in both Spanish and English. However, having lived in Mexico for almost three years now, Spanglish has become my...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2013: Mexico Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Mexico!Copy and paste code to display the Mexico Award Badge:
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Mexico Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in Mexico!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 16 reviews on Mexico Retold
22:34 PM October 02, 2012
Excellent website on Mexico with a dash of the unique, the unusual and the artistic. Insightful and interesting, a well done effort by Susannah. Blog on!
21:43 PM October 03, 2012
I absolutely love this blog. Factual, insightful, a bit quirky, and a pleasure to read every time. Susannah, you are a wonderful writer! Keep it up!
02:52 AM October 04, 2012
The thing I love about Mexico Retold is that it constantly reminds me of how beautiful this country is but it does so by reminding me of how great and how amazing all the little things are. And it's those "minor" things that always end up bringing a smile to my face. Thank you! Keep on writing!
12:14 PM October 04, 2012
Mexico Retold is such a vibrant blog full of excitement and joy. I recommend all those who keep saying to me "Mexico isn't that a really dangerous place" to read this blog regularly to feel the joy and visit Mexico as soon as you can to see how wonderful it is for yourself.
19:44 PM October 04, 2012
A wonderful, colorful & inspiring outlook on a country too often bashed and dismissed by the media and the people living just minutes north of the boarder. The great articles, beautiful photography & underlying passion behind this blog keep me coming back for more!
19:39 PM October 05, 2012
Entertaining and insightful a great opportunity to get some insight into amazing and complex Mexico.
03:45 AM October 09, 2012
Mexico Retold is home to very relevant information, interesting articles and does an incredible job of sharing stories about Mexico that matter. I love the writing style and choice of stories, they always draws me in. Mexico Retold (I also love the name!) always reminds me of why I love Mexico, never a dull post, can't get enough of it! Awesome work, Susannah!
01:28 AM October 13, 2012
I love this blog! It's one of the places I go to get my Mexico fix. Susannah's love of and care for Mexico is clear. Mexico is beautiful but complex, and through her writing Susannah does a great job shining a light on the beauty and complexity. Thank you!
00:22 AM November 27, 2012
I love Mexico Retold! It's a lovely telling/retelling of what I recognize and identify in my own experience in Mexico. It is where I send those coming to visit or curious about life in this colorful and vivid country. I recommend it with my whole heart!
01:16 AM November 27, 2012
This blog teaches even experts on Mexico about the country's beauty, culture, and tradition. This is so important at a time when Mexico is talked about so negatively in terms of the drug war and illegal immigration.
01:19 AM November 27, 2012
Susannah Rigg has created in Mexico Retold a beautiful place to visit. I go often, with spaces, so I frequently find myself walking down paths rather than sitting in one spot. Like her writings on Day of the Dead week-long celebrations: something to be enjoyed leisurely. Your stay will end with a smile. :-)
08:30 AM November 27, 2012
I love this blog. I knew very little about Mexico before and this is very interesting, informative and always brightens my day. Susannah's writing style is wonderful and always leaves me wanting to know more.
08:49 AM November 27, 2012
A brilliant blend of mexican current affairs and cultural (often wonderful and spectacularly beautiful) nuggets, that if it weren't for Susannah's interest in the heart and soul of Mexico and the dedication to sharing it through this fantastic blog, I would not have had the pleasure of knowing. Keep up the great work! This blog is truly something to be proud of.
12:23 PM November 27, 2012
Wonderful blog! It always draws me in and makes me want for the next little slice of Mexico retold. Thank you!
17:44 PM December 09, 2012
No better person to help capture the wonders of Mexico and bring it to the world than Susannah. She has put together a great blog. Congrats!
04:11 AM December 10, 2012
What a wonderful blog to whisk past the popular knowledge of Mexico and onto the many flavors that make it such a special place.