Banks to Battlefields
Latest Blog Posts »
- Overstaying Welcomes 8 months ago I’d never been so happy to enter a French Foreign Legion base. Typical emotions encountered upon crossing the metal gates of any one of the Legion regiments can range from dread to disillusionment and no further. Joy? Now that was a new one. The contrast between this, my final week in the...
- Come Clean 8 months ago Being in the Legion, being a Legionnaire, does not make you a certified commando by default. The Legion is not an “elite” fighting force in the traditional sense of the word. Our tactics are those of the French Army, our equipment equally so. We begin military life at an immediate...
- Tearless, Fearless, so why so Strange? 9 months ago If I’m honest, I might have expected more emotion. Not that leaving behind my home of 5 years, my regiment in the isolated alpine foothills with scorching summers and apocalyptic winters wasn’t an emotionally charged experience, but rather how I was surprised the experience...
- Ring-in the Rung 9 months ago On Tuesday 2nd July 2013 my company swore in its new captain. He is, for me, the fifth company commander under whom I’ve served in as many years. No mean feat, given that the tenure of said post is two years. How, then, did one company come to have five captains in five years? Allow...
- Regress (Part Deux) 10 months ago True colours shall eventually be shown, or show themselves if the universal need is sufficiently pressing. And so it was with my lieutenant throughout the course of this past week. I may not smell entirely of roses myself (certainly after four days in the mountains) but my scent is a hell of a lot...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 17 reviews on Banks to Battlefields
14:28 PM November 18, 2012
Always a fantastic read. Eye opening and educational.
14:36 PM November 18, 2012
This is a great portal into the secret world of the French Foreign Legion. A thoughtful examination of the trade of soldiering enlivened with many entertaining diversions into subjects as diverse as competitive crib making and ski instruction. Sometimes very funny, always fascinating and well written.
16:28 PM November 18, 2012
Amazing blog, up and personal in the French Foreign Legion. The adventures of Legion-eire
16:39 PM November 18, 2012
This blog exposes the furtive world of the legionnaire, and we the reader experience the excitement, tragedy, hilarity and often pure mundanity of the soldier's lot.This combined with the author's beautiful prose and craftmanship makes it a compelling read.
19:57 PM November 18, 2012
Always look forward for this blog, as a former soldier it gives a great informative & most importantly a true account of what life is like for a soldier,be it in an army of his own country,or for a foreign one.Well Done!!!!!,,, A Brilliant Read!!
20:28 PM November 18, 2012
21:12 PM November 18, 2012
Never boring and every blog full of interesting, exotic and insightful stories.
00:23 AM November 19, 2012
Riveting, intelligent and hillariously funny, yet touching. Don't stop - keep these coming - looking forward to the next post!!
12:41 PM November 19, 2012
A blog that manages to get the reader into "that time and that place” state of mind, with good quality introspective and humor, with vivid scenes and characters where the reader gets the sense one can instinctively grab for the reachable reality. In the same time ones expectations of how and why it is constantly challenged, making everything alive, rapid, silvery.
21:05 PM November 20, 2012
I love the writing style and the detailed honest accounts of such an unusual lifestyle. It's the kind of thing I could imagine being turned into a book!
01:09 AM November 21, 2012
Love it. Everything about it.
18:25 PM November 25, 2012
Well written and a great read. very interesting and entertaining.
15:39 PM December 03, 2012
19:19 PM December 03, 2012
A really nice blog, also for an wannabe legionnaire like me, I found it very informative
19:32 PM January 21, 2013
This is a very stand up guy, he even makes the Legion look like a place that is fun instead of the excruciating reality of such institution. No doubts that this guy is a man with a very positive attitude towards life, a lad with good frame of mind, and he's also a good writer, I'll follow him close hoping that he writes a book soon, I'll be the first guy to buy it. All my respect.
13:33 PM February 07, 2013
A GREAT read - for ANYONE
23:09 PM August 13, 2013
Amazing blog, loved readi glover the years...everything has to co e to an end and he ended it yesterday.... Recommend this to anyone