Latest Blog Posts »
- Waking up "with ease" - Bwa ha ha 19 hours ago So, the second part of my response to this article about morning people is to do with its recommendations for waking up with ease. Apparently there are quite a lot of things you can do to improve your morning, once you've come to terms with the fact that you have to get up. (And no, that doesn't...
- Why I Will Never be a Morning Person 1 week ago So, the Ball & Chain sent me this link to a CNN piece about being a morning person. Do you think he was trying to make a point? We've been married for over 24 years; it's a bit late, mate.I read it with little some interest, and of course, had an answer for each one of the points. I'll deal with...
- Piers Morgan - Still Telling Americans What to Do 1 week ago So, to recap - after three years of the evening talk show, CNN axed “Piers Morgan Live”. He is currently to be heard, blaming Anderson Cooper's "poor lead in" for his failure, rather than his own paltry viewing numbers, but I have a feeling Piers never likes to acknowledge his own inadequacies....
- Rude People - What Are They Thinking? 1 week ago Do you ever find yourself in a situation where someone does something unbelievably rude or insensitive and you're at a loss as to what motivates them?At a school function the other day, I passed a woman I rarely see and stopped for a brief chat. (She was standing in line for something and on her...
- Practical Life Skills for Kids 2 weeks ago Blogger notSupermum (love that name) currently has a great list of stuff our kids should really know. The stuff we just sort of assume they know but actually, if we're being honest, we didn't sit them down and teach them, and they don't get the knowledge by osmosis. The example she gives is having...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: USA Bronze Award!
This blog won the Bronze Award for best expat blog in USA!Copy and paste code to display the Bronze Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 22 reviews on Expat Mum
15:39 PM October 26, 2012
Expat Mum gives fantastic expat take on US life - I really enjoy reading her observations.
16:08 PM October 26, 2012
Toni has a warm, witty humorous blog that it always surprising and insightful. As a Brit living in the USA she has some fascinating observations on the cultural differences between the two countries sharing a common language. Check out her blog - I guarantee you will learn something while also being entertained!
16:14 PM October 26, 2012
Can always rely on Expat Mum for a great read: funny, wide-ranging posts telling it like it is. She is just as comfortable writing about parenting or politics: this makes for an intelligent, enjoyable blog.
17:09 PM October 26, 2012
Insightful, intelligent and engaging are all words to be applied to Toni, aka Expat Mum. Her blogs sometimes bring levity, sometimes pathos and are always worth reading!
17:28 PM October 26, 2012
Not only is Expat Mum a great writer, but she's "not backward in coming forward" so she never shies away from the tricky subjects. Her writing is always entertaining, and reflects her honesty and integrity as a person - as well as her fantastic sense of humour. Do I think this blog has what it takes to WIN your Expats in USA Blog Award? Too right I do - and I defy you to show me a better candidate!
06:44 AM October 27, 2012
A humorous view of what life is like for a Brit living in the US, and she's been around for a long, long time...I mean, the blog, you know, it's got longevity on its side and, well, Toni's not THAT old and...hey, look! 5 Stars!
11:49 AM October 27, 2012
I've been reading Expat Mum's blog for five years or so. There's always a fresh take on a current issue. She makes me think, and she makes me laugh.
15:25 PM October 27, 2012
I love this blog and the british humour of Toni. Being a French expat mom in Chicago too, I learned a lot from her blog and I also shares some of her intercultural experiences. It is always fun to read Expat Mum!
16:41 PM October 27, 2012
I first discovered Toni four years ago through her book Rules, Britannia which I reviewed for my blog. I have continued to follow Toni's writing on Expat Mum which is the most enjoyable British expat blog I've found. It's fun to read Toni's observations of life in America delivered in a straight-forward, intelligent and humourous way. A must read!
14:09 PM October 29, 2012
It's a required MUST to get my day off to a good start that and a cup of red bush tea - yes I had to give up coffeee for my health but Expat Mum's blog? NEVER! Brilliant read, humourous, entertianing and thought provoking...
14:55 PM October 29, 2012
Expat Mum is one of the blogs that's reliably excellent, insightful and fun to read. Toni always seems to have her finger on the pulse of whatever is going on, or she's teasing out expat issues you previously couldn't articulate. Plus there's so much pathos and humour that you don't need to be an expat to enjoy she says about being a woman or a parent.
15:02 PM October 29, 2012
I love that Toni takes her clever insights on the States, the long term expat life and family life in general and so easily turns them into witty, succinct posts on Expat Mum that always have me smiling and nodding my head in agreement. I also love that although Toni has been in the States over 20 years, she remains British enough to dissect the flaws of the States while also champion the wonderful about the country. Expat Mum is my top expat blog to read.
16:44 PM October 29, 2012
Toni's blog is a perfect reflection of her - bitingly funny, smart and observant with sharp Northern (!) insights on life with her family in the USA. I admire her ability to span both frivolous and serious topics from both sides of the pond. I was lucky enough to find her blog - which became my daily bible - when I relocated to Chicago from the UK...an absolute must-read to prove to myself that I was not alone!
17:42 PM October 29, 2012
Expat Mum's blog has been one of my favourites for over five years now. She is insightful, humorous and topical. She definitely deserves to win this award.
00:22 AM October 31, 2012
Toni is undeniably the most entertaining expat blogger I have read... she has a unique ability to draw you in, fill you with insights and leave you wetting your pants!
22:15 PM November 01, 2012
Toni's take on life is always insightful and great fun. Keep it coming Toni!
08:31 AM November 02, 2012
Toni shares intercultural experiences in a humorous way that is both insightful and entertaining. It's one of the few blogs I've followed for years!
12:01 PM November 02, 2012
I'm neither an expat nor a mum, but I *love* Toni's blog. I do have friends who live in Chicago, so can visualise some of the scenery, but even if not, Toni's vivid and witty writing really brings her stories to life.
21:01 PM November 02, 2012
As an expat Brit living in France ( but who has lived in the US for a short time) I have only just discovered this blog which has fast become my favourite. Expat Mum's writing is witty and so very observant and I often feel she's just having a chat to me about her day. A must for anyone needing a good blog fix.
21:12 PM November 02, 2012
As a fellow long-term expat, I love reading Toni's blog. I'd love it even if I weren't a fellow expat though - such good writing is always a pleasure to read.
11:50 AM November 05, 2012
I've long been a fan of Toni's blog and find that her descriptions of the cultural gitches between the US and UK spot on.
19:29 PM November 06, 2012
I just love this blog. I am a US expat living in the UK and she makes my day every time she posts!