Latest Blog Posts »
- Thanks for nothing 1 day ago Afternoon all! Well, the new website is coming along nicely, but I’ve pretty much given up on the idea that it could be ready in time for carnival. In the meantime we’ll all just have to make do with the current, somewhat ‘busy’, layout. Normally at this time of year I have just one...
- Taking Brazilian cuisine to New York with #SkypeMoments 1 week ago Ah well, so much for my high hopes of two posts on a Friday. I was actually kept very busy on Friday night by a rather exciting project. For anyone who hasn’t read my previous posts on the subject, some time ago I became Skype’s ‘Brand Ambassador’ for food. They have quite a few different...
- A Chowzter Balti Mission in Birmingham 2 weeks ago To finish off the tales of our recent trip to England, I wanted to tell you about an unexpected culinary adventure that took Mrs Eat Rio and me to Britain’s second most populous city: Birmingham. A couple of things to quickly say about Birmingham. Firstly, unlike its Alabama namesake, you...
- Christmas Culinary Adventures in London 3 weeks ago Hi everyone! Remember me? Well I wouldn’t blame you if you’d forgotten all about Eat Rio – it’s been a shameful 4 weeks since my last post. I’ve never left it that long before and such a long hiatus deserves an explanation. How about tell you what’s been going on since this time...
- Interruptions and Interjections 2 months ago When I first arrived in Rio, I naively thought that once I had a good grasp of Portuguese my communication woes would be over. What I went on to discover is that the actual language is just part of the challenge. The rules of conversation here are quite different. While a certain amount of...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Brazil Honourable Mention Award!
This blog won the Honourable Mention Award for best expat blog in Brazil!Copy and paste code to display the Honourable Mention Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 8 reviews on Eat Rio
02:44 AM October 14, 2012
Tom's blog Eat Rio gives fascinating insights into life in Rio and Brazilian culture generally. His passion and innate curiosity are evident in every post. He's also built up a lot of valuable information for people visiting the city for the first time. Actually, I'm sure that a lot of people who have lived there would find a lot of it useful too. Tom has a knack of finding the best food and drink wherever he is.
05:53 AM October 16, 2012
I scanned through numerous blogs about Brazil before I landed on Eat Rio. Tom is genius at turning his daily observations about a foreign land, its people, its culture, and its history into entertaining and engaging posts. Tom gives his readers a sense of Brazil's dynamic and vibrant way of being with his beautiful photos and subjects as wide-ranging as food, language, music, race, and translations. Tom's blog eases my "saudade" for Brazil. I look forward to reading Eat Rio everyday.
14:51 PM October 16, 2012
Tom's blog is a great place to spend some time strolling around. The name doesn't say it all, because there is a lot more going on than just food and restaurants. you can find posts about day to day life in Rio, people, places, music, language, wildlife,... you name it. I found all the articles I read so far to be written in a pleasant and easy to read manner. Tom definitely knows his way around the marvelous city. Highly recommended indeed.
15:55 PM October 16, 2012
I read a lot of blogs on Brazil as a new expat here, and I find EatRio to be a great source of information, entertainment and advice. Tom makes interesting observations on all aspects of living in Rio and his witty style make his blog a fun and informative read. I always look forward to his next post. His photos are stunning, they could have a website of their own.
17:40 PM October 16, 2012
Like Brae, I also read through numerous blogs on Rio but found Tom's particularly helpful. Eat Rio was a fantastic starting point for me travelling to Rio for the first time. Whilst I am a fan of nice bars and restaurants, I love going to hidden gems that many tourists would not know about. I went to a few of the restaurants that caught my eye and the reviews he had given were extremely accurate. I will definitely be using his recommendations again when i next travel to Rio. I strongly recommend that others whether 1st time travellers or not use it too.
15:26 PM October 18, 2012
With Eat Rio, Tom has created a funny and insightful reference for anyone interested in getting under the surface of the expat experience in Brazil. Great for a good laugh, or as a tool to plan your trip to the Marvelous City. Anyone wanting to go beyond the stereotypical idea of the carioca lifestyle and the Rio experience should definitely visit Eat Rio.
15:55 PM December 17, 2012
This is one of my favorite blogs about life in Brazil. Tom's posts cover a variety of interesting topics, even venturing into Brazilian politics on occasion. I've especially enjoyed his posts about Brazilian music, where I've learned about incredibly talented artists whom I never would have known about otherwise. The comment threads on some of the posts include lively exchanges of ideas, and Tom often takes the time to post personal replies. Tom has managed to foster a sense of community for people with a shared interest in Brazil, and to me, that's the sign of a highly successful blog.
17:18 PM December 17, 2012
good site, friendly and informative, i intend to move to rio soon and this site helps...