La Palma Island
Latest Blog Posts »
- Geckos on La Palma 20 hours ago This is a gecko (Tarentola delalandii). Geckos are quite common in the warmer parts of La Palma. They like to live in warm buildings or on sunny walls outside, and this one lives in my house. I think he must have got too close to one of my cats because his tail’s regrowing. You see, if...
- Why the observatory is on La Palma 4 days ago This is Chapter 2 of “A Breathtaking Window on the Universe: a guide to the observatory at the Roque de los Muchachos”.
- Summer Solstice at El Verde 1 week ago This evening will be the solstice, when the sun appears at its farthest north in the sky. For the northern hemisphere, it’s the longest day of the year. (And for the southern hemisphere, it’s the longest night of the year.) La Palma has several archaeological sites which mark the solstice. One...
- The observatory in bloom 1 week ago The whole hillside at the Roque de Los Muchachos is in bloom. But where heather moors go purple, The peaks of La Palma go yellow with sticky broom (Adenocarpus viscosus, or codeso in Spanish) and French broom (Genista benehoavensis or retamón palmero in Spanish)
- Sacred Heart Fiesta in El Paso 2016 2 weeks ago El Paso celebrated the Catholic festival of the Sacred Heart on June 5th this year (it’s 11 weeks after Easter Sunday) but I missed it. In fact I forgot all about it until the 11th when I went the silk museum with a bus load of tourists from a cruise ship. Luckily the archways were still up. The...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » La Palma Island has no reviews just yet
Unfortunately, no-one has been kind enough to leave a quick positive comment on this expat blog. Be the first!