Latest Blog Posts »
- How I Caught a Kiwi Accent 1 week ago The last two weeks have been bad. They found cancer in my mum’s lymph nodes, they sent her for surgery, and we visited her in hospital. That was covered in my previous post. Since then, my body has gone and decided that my mum really shouldn’t get all the attention. Certain problems that have...
- Summer's End 2 weeks ago Summer ended abruptly this year. One day it was warm and bright and cicadas were chirping outside; the next it was cold and dark and my mum had cancer. I mean a month’s worth of rain fell in a day and a night. There’s flooding, of course, and warnings of more severe thunderstorms to come. […]
- What the Internet's Like in New Zealand 3 weeks ago It’s the year 2000, and you’re trying to connect to the Internet. You grit your teeth through the cacophony of chirps and screeches, like crickets being tortured through a transistor radio. (Yes, kids, that was the mating call of the dial-up modem.) You think you’re finally connected when...
- Healthcare in New Zealand 4 weeks ago New Zealand has always been an attractive destination, but now it seems more so than ever. My Best Place to Live in New Zealand article suddenly became popular at the end of last year – no prizes for guessing why – and continues to be one of Poms Away’s most-viewed. So, with no sign of […]
- Honestly, New Zealand DOES Have History 1 month ago Originally posted on POMS AWAY!: “New Zealand doesn’t have any history.” Do you know how many times I’ve heard that since moving here? “New Zealand was the last major landmass to be settled; it’s too young for anything interesting to have happened.” It’s not just immigrants that say...
Contest Entries »
- Top 20 Things a Brit in New Zealand Misses Expat Blog Awards 2013 New Zealand is a truly wonderful country and I feel privileged to call it home. This doesn’t mean, however, that I don’t miss my real home, my native England. Yes, life in New Zealand is so much better than life in England, but there are some...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2013: New Zealand Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in New Zealand!Copy and paste code to display the New Zealand Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There is 1 review on POMS AWAY!
13:49 PM August 22, 2014
Hi Abby, I've really so much enjoyed reading your blog! You're a fantastic writer, and New Zealand sounds so very beautiful and peaceful! I just typed a question on to your blog, but am not sure if you've received it. My question, which I am curious about, is, I wonder if you're aware of any deeply historical, Maori legends or myths - preferably ghostly, or paranormal, but also just mythological - for around the very local area you live in? I also wonder, if New Zealanders of European or other background tend to know the deeply historical, Maori legend history of their immediate neighbourhoods? I live in England, a few minutes walk from a small village which dates from the early 17th Century, which is allegedly haunted by the ghosts of a medieval nun and monk, there once being an abbey fairly close by, and a medieval manor house in the village area until the early 1820s. I also know of local faerie folk legends, which date to the 18th century. So, I guess knowing the deep local history around my home, I wonder if in New Zealand people know deeply historical mythology belonging to around their homes. Also, settler history or more recent history legends and tales, I guess. I love old tales as you can no doubt guess, especially those which bring a bit of a shiver!