Under The Ropes
Latest Blog Posts »
- Progress: Thailand's Transgender Muay Thai Fighters 4 weeks ago Transgender Muay Thai fighters are more visible now than ever before. They’re fighting in rings that were previously strictly male-only spaces, and having their stories told and celebrated by the media. Boundaries have been broken, and things are changing. This post is a roundup of the...
- Axe Throwing in Bangkok 2 months ago I can’t say that axe throwing is something I’d ever considered until recently. When Ryan Nelson, owner of the newly-opened Golden Axe Throw Club in Bangkok, invited me to give it a try, I jumped at the chance. “I think you’d really dig the sport, being an athlete in Thailand”, he said....
- UK Muay Thai Instructors Arrested for Child Sexual Abuse 3 months ago Three different Muay Thai gym owners and instructors in the UK have been arrested for child sex abuse offences recently. This posts lists details of each of those arrests and the convictions made, as well as similar arrests of other martial arts instructors in England. I’ll save commentary for a...
- Chalawan Attachai Muay Thai Wins Rajadamnern Title 3 months ago Despite having only been open for less than a year, Attachai Muay Thai Gym has already produced a Rajadamnern champion. Our resident fighter, Chalawan, won the 118 lbs stadium title on November 13th after defeating Phetbankaek Sor. Sommai. Chalawan fights under the ‘Por. Onnut’ gym name. This...
- Teaching English in Thailand: My Most Ridiculous Experiences 6 months ago There’s been no shortage of strange moments since I started teaching in 2011. Some of them were hilarious at the time, and others were the kind that I can only laugh at now that I’m looking back, but here are some for you to enjoy. 1. The First Class Teaching your first class is scary. […]
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 3 reviews on Under The Ropes
15:50 PM March 20, 2014
I check up on this blog regularly. A lot of the topics translate to issues of Muay Thai fighters around the world, but it's especially interesting to hear it from someone embedded in the Thai culture.
16:20 PM March 20, 2014
Great blog on Muay Thai. Explaining lot of Thai culture and history.
20:18 PM December 10, 2017
Well crafted and interesting stories, which inspire and educate.