UK Desperate Housewife USA
Latest Blog Posts »
- Desperate English Housewife in Washington, chapter 314 1 day ago Shooting baskets Today I sat and watched two young African-American dudes play some craaaazy basketball. Wow, they were bouncing two balls at the same time, and there’s only one other place I’ve seen that done, but that’s another story about … Continue reading →
- Desperate English Housewife in Washington, chapter 313 2 days ago Yes, it’s bl*ody well true! Marylanders are second-most likely to swear (but also third-most likely to be courteous) – says a recent poll about cursing (that’s ‘swearing’ to us Brits!) Ohio beat out Maryland as the state in which people … Continue reading →
- Desperate English Housewife in Washington, chapter 312 3 days ago Holiday Season It’s the Holiday Season in the USA. I can’t remember what we called it in the UK. Christmas….? Anyway, everywhere you look and all that you hear there is ‘Holiday’ stuff. Sometimes, when I hear it, I think … Continue reading →
- Desperate English Housewife in Washington, chapter 311 3 days ago Elf on the Shelf I’ve heard a few Americans talk about this Elf on the Shelf thing recently. Some good, some bad. It’s this little toy dude who sits on a shelf watching over you to make sure you are … Continue reading →
- Desperate English Housewife in Washington, chapter 310 5 days ago The Best of Howard County Yes, I live in Howard County, Maryland, USA and it is pretty awesome. There are some great things, some super things and some things which are simply the best. Voters voted and the best of … Continue reading →
Contest Entries »
- Being a Desperate Housewife in Washington Writing Contest October 2012 The Dream Once upon a time there was a wife and mother who liked her life very much and knew she was very lucky, but all the time she wished for more adventure. She dreamed of new lands and wished to see new things. She was troubled by these...
- Nine Random Things I Didn't Know About Living In America... Writing Contest March 2013 (Full Title:) Nine Random Things I Didn't Know About Living In America Before I Moved Here And Am Not Sure If I Am Glad I Didn't, But Which Are Now Fairly Integral Things in My Life As A British Expat In The USA We really do speak a different...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: USA Silver Award!
This blog won the Silver Award for best expat blog in USA!Copy and paste code to display the Silver Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 29 reviews on UK Desperate Housewife USA
02:20 AM October 25, 2012
What a witty writer! Hits the nail on the head with the differences between us UK peeps and the Yanks! Love it. So tongue in cheek, with a good dose of observational humour. Love it!
06:58 AM October 25, 2012
I love reading this blog!
07:35 AM October 25, 2012
Laugh out loud observations, thoughts and feelings on life across the pond. You can almost smell it, feel it and touch it yourself when you read it! Love this blog, always looking forward to the next instalment!
11:38 AM October 25, 2012
The writer had me viewing Americans' habits and customs (myself) through different eyes. Upbeat, inquisitive and funny.
13:14 PM October 25, 2012
Claire's blog brings her and the USA right into our sitting room and makes me even more excited about our planned visit. Love her observations and comments and especially the inclusion of Harry's perceptions of life in his new environment. Keep it up, Claire!
15:23 PM October 25, 2012
Very much enjoying Claire's observations without the biased stereotyping. Witty and poignant. Keep up the great work Claire!
16:09 PM October 25, 2012
I'm becoming addicted to this blog - it's funny, perceptive and has a sharp eye for the little things that make life for an ex-pat in the US so different from that at home.
13:41 PM October 26, 2012
Just found this blog it's great
14:01 PM October 26, 2012
15:09 PM October 26, 2012
I like the perspective, healthily respectful but not all-embracing of American culture. Its funny and sometimes poetic. Good luck.
09:50 AM October 27, 2012
I love this blog! Observations on America and the American way of life by a witty and perceptive writer. It makes me want to visit the States for myself. Keep writing!
09:56 AM October 27, 2012
More than a travelogue, this blog is laugh out loud funny as the intrepid writer finds her way through the world of American customs and culture.
08:12 AM October 28, 2012
Terrific piece of real journalism that brings to life the days of the family but within a quite different setting for them. This is amusing, articulate, accurate reporting which shows how differences can be funny, or just interesting, or even tiresome but difference certainly makes for good conversation.
18:58 PM October 28, 2012
I love reading Claire's updates; they bring her new world to life and happily reflect her upbeat and positive outlook ... my favourite blog to date is the meeting of Gloria...it makes me chuckle every time I read ... SO looking forward to the Halloween blog...
19:35 PM October 28, 2012
Love this blog! I'm becoming addicted to it and look forward to the next instalment. Such witty, laugh out loud observations. Keep up the good work!
06:56 AM October 29, 2012
Just started reading this. Very interesting and amusing. Good luck.
11:59 AM October 30, 2012
The content is good and because the words flow smoothly it is easy to read - and go on reading
12:23 PM November 02, 2012
This is super fun to read. Always want to read more.
17:40 PM November 02, 2012
I await the next installment of this blog every day / week! Well written and highly entertaining. Claire has the gift of observation and writing!
17:55 PM November 02, 2012
Great blog, particularly while the USA is so much in the news in the uk. Good writing and a non newsy perspective.
22:26 PM November 02, 2012
This is a great insight into USA life, reflecting on the funny side of life and the differences. I must-have read!
22:32 PM November 02, 2012
Lovely well written blog, always informative and very funny. Really should be serialised on Radio 4..
21:32 PM November 04, 2012
Your blog Claire, is giving us a real insight into some of what life is in the 'big apple' it's a great read.
16:13 PM November 05, 2012
Absolutely brilliant. Well written, insightful and humorous with a nice personal touch thrown in. Can't wait to read more.
12:09 PM November 06, 2012
Brilliant bubbly blog!
15:22 PM November 06, 2012
I love this blog - the writer has a real knack for observing the cultural differences and similarities between the UK and the US and never fails to amuse. Looking forward to reading more, especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas around the corner!
15:33 PM November 06, 2012
So glad I stumbled across this blog!
21:16 PM November 06, 2012
I am converted to your blog - always amusing to read about your adventures. Especially Hooters. You must do them all!
17:21 PM November 07, 2012
This is one funny lady! She tickles my fancy and reminds me of ye merry olde england. This is a must read.