Costa Rica Calling
Latest Blog Posts »
- New Year, New Start 5 months ago The tradition of the Christmas creche is widespread in countries with a Roman Catholic cultural background and Costa Rica is no exception. Public buildings, like the Teatro Nacional in San Jose. have the creche, or 'portal' set up either outside - the weather being clement - or inside. Banks and...
- You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? 5 months ago I landed at Juan Santamaria airport on the evening of the eighteenth of December. The cheese landed on the evening of the nineteenth, having taken a little break in Madrid. It, and the suitcase containing it, have just been delivered to the door by a charming gentleman who, intrigued by the...
- We're no awa' tae bide awa' 7 months ago Supposedly sung by the 51st Highland division going into the bag at St.Valery sur Somme in 1940. Father wouldn't know...he and a few mates had found a fishing boat..hull smashed in to avoid use by the Germans according to French orders... repaired it,
- Moonlight in the Trees 6 months ago I am on the balcony this evening; it is warm and the night birds are calling. The moon, no longer a sliver of silver
- A Week is a Long Time on Avenida Segunda 7 months ago
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Bronze Award!
This blog won the Bronze Award for best expat blog in Costa Rica!Copy and paste code to display the Bronze Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 11 reviews on Costa Rica Calling
11:12 AM October 27, 2012
This blog is wonderful. The author gives a brilliant picture of her life in Costa Rica. Every post she publishes leaves you wanting more.
17:46 PM October 27, 2012
Fascinating tales of life in Costa Rica and thought provoking opinions from a person you can't help wishing lived nearby.
19:08 PM October 27, 2012
Intelligent, witty and wise. And frequently funny. One of my essential reads.
23:07 PM October 27, 2012
This blog should be turned into a film and book. It has me giggling every time I read it and the cast of characters is fantastic.
07:54 AM October 28, 2012
If I only had time to read one out of the myriad great expat blogs, it would be Costa Rica Calling. Fly paints such a vivid picture of life there, in all its beauty, challenges and endearing bureaucracy. She's witty, informative and acerbic, sharing with her readers her world, her sometimes chaotic life and her glorious surroundings. Absolutely wonderful.
12:41 PM October 30, 2012
Such a talented writer and commentator. This is a truly brilliant blog.
17:43 PM October 30, 2012
The writer dips her pen in gentle acid and takes a wry, intelligent and affectionate look at life in a very different culture and country from her native Scotland. Her posts are informative, witty and above all endlessly enjoyable. A blog not to be missed!
20:41 PM October 30, 2012
‘Costa Rica Calling’ is the class of the field. Raises the blogger bar to jet stream heights. A must read, adroitly written, hugely entertaining window on expat life amongst the hill ranch and cloud forest communities of San Jose. CRC’s widely travelled author, peels back the banana skins to captivate her loyal readership with an insightful, wryly humorous view of not just her weekly exploits, but what it takes to fully integrate with the real ‘Tico’s’ residing in this jewel of a Central Americas country. A truly masterful object lesson in expat blogging. Brilliant.
01:20 AM October 31, 2012
An exceptionally enjoyable and engaging series of consistently well written, sharply crafted posts about an expat Europeans new life adventures in a warm, friendly and not so laid back anymore, small Latin American country.
08:19 AM October 31, 2012
I can count my favourite blogs on the fingers of one hand. This blog features among those fingers (as does the one about France). Fly's writing is full of pertinent observation, wit, sarcasm, irony, humour and razor sharp analysis. She can tell a story that leaves you wanting - wanting more because she's a natural. She offers great insights into life in Costa Rica - the admin, her neighbours, local disputes, San Jose, the food, and so on. Highly recommended.
19:20 PM November 02, 2012
There aren't enough superlatives to describe Fly's blog - but I'll try! Every post is eagerly awaited and never fails to delight. All life is there. The absurdities, the profundities and the beauty in all the small things we would overlook in our short-sightedness. Fly is wise, witty, entertaining and - above all - mindful. This is a wonderful blog.