Latest Blog Posts »
- Twitter 4 weeks ago So it's finally happened. It's been more than a month since I blogged about anything, but then Twitter got banned (sort of), and there was nothing for me to do but open a Twitter account.Like all techno-thingies, I've resisted Twitter for a long time, despite extensive peer pressure. I resisted the...
- Valentine's Day My Ass, It's Turkiversary Day! 3 months ago I haven't done anything to celebrate Valentine's Day since I was in grade school and we had those Valentine's Day parties in class where everyone has a shoebox with a hole cut in the front and everyone else in the class had to stick those crappy cards with crappy puns into everyone else's shoebox....
- Celebrity Death Triad: Complete 2 months ago Is nine days too long since the last Celebrity Death to count today's death as part of the Triad?Oh, you'd better believe I made a meme.I'll be honest. I thought Shirley Temple had died like 20 years ago. So naturally I got to wondering, "What did Shirley Temple look like as a grownup?" Thanks to...
- Jinx Post: Celebrity Death Triad 2 months ago I had a spam comment on this post recently, and I got to thinking about superstition.I think by now you're fairly clear on my religious views and whatever else, but the thing is, there are a few things I'm superstitious about. One of them is the Celebrity Death Triad.And the reason I bring this up...
- About Love 4 months ago Look, I'm not even going to start this post with a snarky comment justifying why I'm taking on a cheesy subject.I did not Instagram this.I've been thinking about love a lot lately. And by "lately," I mean over the last several years. I had a lot of time to deconstruct BE's and my relationship. It's...
Contest Entries »
- Learning New Byzantium Writing Contest October 2012 Last week, I was contacted by a woman from a Facebook page for expat women like me, muddling through Istanbul. She's been here for three months, has a small child, and is overwhelmed and depressed and pissed off in a way I totally get, but also can...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 13 reviews on Istanbul's Stranger
20:28 PM October 27, 2012
Your blog is very readable !gvm37
20:45 PM October 27, 2012
This is an expat blog that's so different from the rest. She writes with such honesty. I love it.
22:03 PM October 27, 2012
Love this blog, sometimes funny as hell, and always REAL.
22:14 PM October 27, 2012
In a world stuffed to the rafters with blogs and more bloody blogs(we're talking making bookmarks from egg-shells and photos of church organ pipes) it's refreshing to read something unique, human, biting, hilarious, angry, off-the-wall and well written. Not to mention the love for the boy, which is really touching (and clearly real). Sticking to the 'life's too short' principle, I rarely get around to commenting on blogs, but in this case I'll make an exception. Whenever a new post comes out on Istanbul's Stranger, I get nervous. And that's the hugest of compliments.
22:39 PM October 27, 2012
Once you start reading her blog, you're hooked. Her writing style is unique,entertaining and informative. She can make the most ordinary topic interesting. She deserves to win this award.
07:24 AM October 28, 2012
Witty, funny and always an interesting perspective on life as an expat in Turkey.
16:13 PM October 28, 2012
I found this blog after coming back from my first trip to Istanbul earlier in the year. I fell in love with Istanbul and I now feel the same about 'Istanbul's Stranger'! It's by far the funniest, most touching, real-est and best-written blog I have ever come across and I feel genuine excitement when I see there's a new post.
18:43 PM November 04, 2012
An excellent blog. It's funny, honest, interesting and very well written. I really enjoy reading the posts..
22:50 PM November 04, 2012
One of my favourite blogs, from the day she banged out that first post. Brutally honest but eloquent, hilarious and respectful. A rare thing.
11:21 AM November 05, 2012
Istanbul Stranger is not afraid to bare her soul and talk about the less pleasant aspects of Istanbul life - direct, candid and amusing.
03:23 AM November 06, 2012
Full disclosure: Sarah, the Istanbul Stranger, is my niece-- Which may bring up the question: How does her family feel about all of this? Well, I can't speak for all of the family, but I'm always apprehensive when I turn to her blog. "My God, what's she going to do or spill next?" But it is so eloquently and in-your-face honestly written, I can't resist. Sarah's a unique voice (even if sometimes slurred, which concerns me) who makes me laugh and shudder at the same time. Better read her, before they ask her to leave Turkey.
15:19 PM November 07, 2012
This blog never fails to make me laugh. Even if I worry about cat-abusive behavior. Especially now that the cats are gone. Where will she direct her cat-abusive behavior now? Hopefully scrumpled up post-it notes....
19:15 PM November 16, 2012
i adore this blog and i always get a thrill when i see that stranger has posted, and am over the moon if i find she's posted a few in quick succession. she'so honest, very funny and loves her son to bits which is gorgeous and evident. we've been in turkey for the same length of time but she's streets ahead in terms of being turkey savvy.