Notes from the UK
Latest Blog Posts »
- Christmas crackers: a link 22 hours ago Anyone interested in learning about the British tradition of Christmas crackers (stop–you don’t eat them), not to mention how it came into being, can read about it on Bit about Britain’s post.
- Translating British English into American 4 days ago Americans regularly rampage through the British Isles without translators and end up with the most minimal idea what of they’re hearing. Or saying. They may or may not be aware of the problem. I’m going to take a reckless guess … Continue reading →
- The joys of pre-metric measurements 1 week ago Anyone who thinks I’m kidding around when I talk about the insanity of pre-metric weights and measures needs to read April Munday’s post on the medieval versions of the slippery little beasts. I offer eternal gratitude to anyone who can … Continue reading →
- Is British food dull? 1 week ago British food has a reputation for being—sorry, folks, I’m just reporting—somewhere between dull and inedible. Google “British food reputation” and the entries fall into two categories: 1) why British food deserves a bad reputation and 2) why it doesn’t. There’s … Continue reading →
- What I learned from spam lately 2 weeks ago Let’s go for a quick dip in the spam bath, everyone, because our lives aren’t absurd enough already. But first, a health and safety warning. Britain’s big on health and safety warnings. One I heard recently consisted of, “Don’t do … Continue reading →
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » Notes from the UK has no reviews just yet
Unfortunately, no-one has been kind enough to leave a quick positive comment on this expat blog. Be the first!