il bel centro
Latest Blog Posts »
- Foligno Hospital, Day 4 12 hours ago CAT scan day. Or giorno di TAC. It’s the other way around in Italian. Which makes it sound like an attack, and therefore suggests a constant state of panic. It is also emblematic of the process of getting the scan done—topsy turvey and upside down. When I was visiting this morning, the...
- Foligno Hospital, Day 3 1 day ago Another overnight at the Foligno hospital for Keith. Another night of no sleep. Hospital sleep is probably hard to come by in the best of circumstances, but he’s finding it particularly difficult. For the following reasons: The bed is too short. He has to sleep spread eagled to fit....
- Foligno Hospital, Day Two 2 days ago Not wanting to have anyone sit and wait while I visited Keith, I hit upon this idea of having Alison and Andrew drive me in today, and Angelo pick me up. Thus giving me a chunk of time to keep Keith company, without feeling pulled. I called Keith last night and told him the plan, [...]
- Visiting 2 days ago Thank you friends for your words of comfort and encouragement. We visited Keith yesterday afternoon, and found him looking like we last saw him, only more bored. But when someone is not in sight, and you attach the word “hospital” to their location, it’s easy to start picturing...
- In the Hospital 3 days ago Keith is in the hospital. I don’t have time or thought space to do much more than put this message out there, in the hopes that you’ll send us love and Light. When we saw the doctor on Thursday, he told us that if we didn’t improve in 3 days, we’d need to get a [...]
Contest Entries »
- Peaches and Fish: Language & Uncertainty in Expat Life Writing Contest October 2012 My whole life, I've strived to be perfect. Not to garner admiration or accolades, but rather to avoid falling short. As a coping strategy, I admit, it is dreadful. I walk around anxious that I'm not meeting some standard, and so I end up going above...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Bronze Award!
This blog won the Bronze Award for best expat blog in Italy!Copy and paste code to display the Bronze Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 29 reviews on il bel centro
13:23 PM October 29, 2012
I love this blog! Having been to Italy and always wanted to live overseas, it offers a wonderful view into life overseas. I can eat fresh Italian food, learn the language, and travel...vicariously, of course. It's my daily Italian fix.
13:29 PM October 29, 2012
love this blog!
13:30 PM October 29, 2012
A beautiful and evocative blog that just keeps me coming back from more. Lyrical writing, gorgeous photographs, and a terrific ability to evoke not only a sense of "place", but also a sense of self for the author and her family. Really exceptional.
13:33 PM October 29, 2012
Michelle writes beautiful descriptions of all she is experiencing. Everything is so vivid: I smell the food, feel the emotions, and see the beauty as if I were physically there with her.
13:35 PM October 29, 2012
Every time I read this blog I feel like I've been to Italy! I also love trying out her recipes.
14:20 PM October 29, 2012
"il bel centro" blog is so bright and witty. It is so interesting to follow Michelle and her family's immersion into the life of Spello for a year. By reading this blog one can become an armchair traveler and experience all of the joy, the discovery, the authentic life that can be experienced in a small town perched in Umbria. Michelle writes with such grace and style that I recommend this blog to anyone who has ever dreamed of living in Italy!! To be brave and passionate enough to live a dream is the greatest achievement in life. Bravissimo!
14:50 PM October 29, 2012
I had just finished reading a great book and was on the hunt for a great read! That's how I came to fall in love with this blog! It's the highlight of my evening, putting my kids to sleep catching up with the latest in Italy! Not only is it a great story line, I'm getting some wonderful recipes!
15:17 PM October 29, 2012
This blog should come with a warning just to make clear that reading it will make you want to sell your house, pack up, and move to Italy. It gives the reader such a feel for daily life in the lovely town of Spello--how it sounds, how it tastes, and its distinctive rhythm. Beautifully done and I gleefully look forward to new installments to see what the Damianis will be up to next.
15:22 PM October 29, 2012
Capturing the uniqueness of a foreign place, Michele's blog offers a cultural treat. Her vivid descriptions of food, activities and people make me feel like I am there and eagerly anticipating the next writing.
15:41 PM October 29, 2012
This excellent blog is so evocative of village life in Italy. It tackles expat issues with a beautiful narrative style and sensitivity to the local culture. A must read!
16:15 PM October 29, 2012
Il bel centro is by far the best blog about a family living and loving italy. So many great anecdotes of how the kids are adjusting and a wonderful review of this great little town and surrounding areas.
17:44 PM October 29, 2012
I look forward to reading this every morning. I feel like I know this family and they are good friends.
18:31 PM October 29, 2012
interesting .....well written and a wonderful way to start my day....thank you so much for sharing your taste of italy
18:34 PM October 29, 2012
The range of topics Michelle covers in her blog are wonderful. I learn something about the mysteries of parenting, the complexities of Italian food, and the challenges of travel every time I read her blog.
19:12 PM October 29, 2012
This blog it's lovely: describe the details of living in a wonderful little center where people are gentle and simple. Spello it is described very very well. Compliments!
20:37 PM October 29, 2012
Michelle captures the warmth and beauty of her family's experience with a combination of wit, charm and humor that warms the heart. If you can't spend a year living in Italy, maybe you can live vicariously through the magic she evokes with her writing...
20:53 PM October 29, 2012
Love reading this blog. Michelle is so honest about all the ups and downs, and describes the luscious details beautifully. Spello sounds like a remarkably friendly, homey place.
21:32 PM October 29, 2012
This blog is full of exceptional writing about real feelings on everything from parenting to cooking to travel to occasional homesickness. It's fiercely genuine and engaging. I am in awe of how she captures the varied aspects of life adjustment and enjoyment in every entry. This blog is a find.
00:23 AM October 30, 2012
A gorgeous combination of humor, education, and insight.
00:46 AM October 30, 2012
Il bel centro carries me away into a world of adventure and growth. I feel as though I'm right there with them, experiencing that charming village in Italy in the most wonderful way possible.
03:13 AM October 30, 2012
A completely credible and engaging account of an expat mom and her family.
03:37 AM October 30, 2012
It is said that scenery in writing is not so much to create a pictoral, visually enticing picture but more so to create a feeling of the place. Michelle not only makes the reader feel as if they too are experiencing Italy as a new albeit temporary home, but more importantly to evoke an appreciation that life in and of itself is temporary... her writing begs you to breathe deep, explore, live life, make mistakes, fumble around, practice gratitude, and never ever cease to wonder. And to love fiercely.
16:48 PM October 30, 2012
Absolutely engaging. I like to indulge in Michelle's blog with a glass of red wine and an hour to spare, as I get lost in it every time.
17:36 PM October 30, 2012
I love this blog! It reads like a delicious novel and with the heart of a truly wonderful family. Can't wait for the novel!!
18:27 PM November 10, 2012
I love this blog! It's the first one I turn to in my AM blog reading. The author has a great way with words, and an open, engaging style of writing that makes you feel like you are in the adventure with her. Having visited her Italian town, I love to picture the going-ons of her family. I highly recommend it!
00:25 AM November 28, 2012
Michelle, I love love love your blog...I can totally see it on the book shelf of Barnes & Nobles Bestsellers..why not? Shades of (while very different from) A Year In Provence).
15:36 PM December 06, 2012
With its beautiful photographs, delicious recipes and evocative writing, Il Bel Centro is a treat for the senses. And I challenge anyone reading this blog not to fall in love with Michelle and her family, let alone Italy.
16:44 PM December 11, 2012
A beautifully written and honest blog. The stories of the struggles and triumphs the family has during their time in Italy - it's fabulous!
23:33 PM January 20, 2013
Michelle's love for her family sets her words aglow like sunlight on morning mist. It is lovely to behold.