Latest Blog Posts »
- What am I? One Third Culture Kid's View 4 days ago I don't know how parents had meaningful conversations with their children before the advent of motor vehicles. It is my firm belief that if you want to discuss anything of import, or weasel any information out of your child, you'll have to be in a car with them. There is something in the aura of a...
- Of Guns, Manhunts, and Other American Pursuits 1 week ago Most expats will agree that the best time to tell people about another country is during the first few months you've moved there, when your capacity to see the new and different is the greatest and the freshness hasn't worn off. It's no different when you're moving back home. If not exactly new,...
- You Expect ME to do THAT? 2 weeks ago The inevitable happened. It was early days after our move to Tennessee. My car ran out of gas (after just a week - welcome to the land of gas guzzlers) and I needed to get more. I dropped the kids off at school, consulted my GPS for the closest gas station, and a few minutes later pulled up at the...
- How To Be a (Successful) Expat 3 weeks ago I'm not sure the title of this post is quite right. Because what makes an expat "successful?" If you set the bar low enough, you could argue that anyone coming back alive from an expat assignment can claim success. Which in our case, if you want to believe all the fearmongers about life in South...
- The Future of Alexandra Baseball 2 months ago When I learned, sometime in the middle of last year, that we'd be moving back to the U.S., one of my first concerns was what would happen to Alexandra Baseball, the township baseball team that had become my personal outreach project more or less by accident. (If you're not familiar with it, catch...
Contest Entries »
- An Expat in South Africa Writing Contest October 2012 I wake up with a start. My bedside alarm tells me it’s 4:30 in the morning and it takes me a moment to remember that I’m in a brand-new house, in a brand-new country, on a brand-new continent. What on Earth was that noise that just jolted me...
- Top Ten Reasons You Should Move to Johannesburg Despite the Crime Rate Writing Contest March 2013 You’re a prospective expat considering a move to Johannesburg, or South Africa in general. You have heard about the high crime rate. In fact, based on your online research, you could actually write an entire book about all the reasons you should...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in South Africa!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 11 reviews on Joburg Expat
09:32 AM October 03, 2012
I love the Joburg Expat! Great writing style with a positive, honest portrayal of expat life in this awesome city.
09:55 AM October 03, 2012
Joburg Expat is DEFINITELY worthy of a blog award. Entertaining, informative, well written and all done with such insight, humour and a palpable love of Africa.
11:29 AM October 03, 2012
Excellent blog! It's been a wonderful adventure for me to visit all the extraordinary places vicariously through this blog. I've enjoyed reading about the family setting, the mishaps and adjustments to a new culture as well. Joburg Expat has been interesting, inviting, warm & funny. It's also been educational about an area of the world I knew little about. I've grown to love South Africa through the eyes and words of this blogger.
12:24 PM October 03, 2012
I moved to Jo'burg in July of this year and LOVE this blog. It's been so helpful, funny and generally entertaining and has helped my transition here. It's my go-to blog for South African tips & tricks.
13:29 PM October 03, 2012
Love reading Sine's Joburg Expat blog! Feel like I live vicariously through all their crazy adventures. Certainly the best blog I read.
14:37 PM October 03, 2012
Joburg Expat Blog has a wealth of information for new arrivals to this beautiful city! I look forward to each and every post. I also enjoy the humour added to put it all in perspective! This blog should be bookmarked and read by any new or prospective expat family to Jozie! Then they would realise,like we do, that it is not a difficult place to fall in love with, even if it can be frustratingly running on African Time - and never an easy city to say goodbye to!
17:04 PM October 03, 2012
I first came across Joburg Expat whilst debating whether or not I was prepared to move my family to South Africa. Not only is Sine's blog fun but it is also very informative - it certainly convinced me that I could live here. I have referenced Joburg Expat so often for a giggle & also for information. There isn't much positive stuff on the internet if you search "Living in Johannesburg" but thank goodness for Sine's blog - I wouldn't be here & having such a wonderful experience if I dan't come across it!
17:44 PM October 03, 2012
This blog is amazing and I really enjoy reading it! Sine manages to catch all the interesting topics even for people who already lived in South Africa quite a while!
18:40 PM October 03, 2012
I love reading joburg expat! It's very informative for prospective expats moving to joburg.
01:40 AM October 04, 2012
As a former expat in South Africa I can vouch for the real life experiences that Sine presents in a positive and humorous fashion. Reading it you can see she is genuinely committed to helping and providing valid, useful and current information for expats in Joburg and South Africa in general, presenting it in a format that is fun and engaging for those who are not living in SA to read and look forward to on a regular basis.
17:43 PM October 04, 2012
I love this blog-- great writing, and terrific information for anyone planning to even visit South Africa!