Latest Blog Posts »
- 5 Years Later: 5 Lessons We Learned from Sending Our Kids to School in South Africa 2 weeks ago Despite fears of crime, the biggest fear for many South Africa-bound expats with children is whether they’re making a mistake with their choice of school. Of all the questions I get asked, school choice is always the one that seems to cause the most sleepless nights. Here is a look at the lessons...
- Don't Leave Africa Without It: Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro 3 weeks ago Climbing Kili is magical. For many people it's also life-changing. If you already live in Africa, especially at high altitude in Johannesburg, you'd do yourself a disservice if you didn't give the highest free-standing mountain in the world at least serious consideration. You don't need to be a...
- A South African Expat Success Story: Ngala Trading Company 2 months ago Lawson Ricketts and Nick Geimer are two American expats who fell in love with Johannesburg and upon their return to the United States founded Ngala Trading Co. to bring luxury African interior design and decor to the North American market. Read all about the founding of their company in this...
- Will I Be Safe in South Africa? 1 month ago Eight years ago we arrived in South Africa to begin our expat life. The country was poised to host the Soccer World Cup, the first on African soil. I remember that at the time there were heated debates whether tourists would dare travel to a place so notorious for the crime on its streets. Here is...
- Working as an Expat in South Africa 2 months ago So you’re a trailing spouse and you’ve made your peace with moving to South Africa. You may even have allowed yourself to become excited at the prospect. But you hate to give up working altogether. What are your options for finding employment in South Africa? This is a scenario many expats,...
Contest Entries »
- An Expat in South Africa Writing Contest October 2012 I wake up with a start. My bedside alarm tells me it’s 4:30 in the morning and it takes me a moment to remember that I’m in a brand-new house, in a brand-new country, on a brand-new continent. What on Earth was that noise that just jolted me...
- Top Ten Reasons You Should Move to Johannesburg Despite the Crime Rate Writing Contest March 2013 You’re a prospective expat considering a move to Johannesburg, or South Africa in general. You have heard about the high crime rate. In fact, based on your online research, you could actually write an entire book about all the reasons you should...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: South Africa Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in South Africa!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 11 reviews on Joburg Expat
09:32 AM October 03, 2012
I love the Joburg Expat! Great writing style with a positive, honest portrayal of expat life in this awesome city.
09:55 AM October 03, 2012
Joburg Expat is DEFINITELY worthy of a blog award. Entertaining, informative, well written and all done with such insight, humour and a palpable love of Africa.
11:29 AM October 03, 2012
Excellent blog! It's been a wonderful adventure for me to visit all the extraordinary places vicariously through this blog. I've enjoyed reading about the family setting, the mishaps and adjustments to a new culture as well. Joburg Expat has been interesting, inviting, warm & funny. It's also been educational about an area of the world I knew little about. I've grown to love South Africa through the eyes and words of this blogger.
12:24 PM October 03, 2012
I moved to Jo'burg in July of this year and LOVE this blog. It's been so helpful, funny and generally entertaining and has helped my transition here. It's my go-to blog for South African tips & tricks.
13:29 PM October 03, 2012
Love reading Sine's Joburg Expat blog! Feel like I live vicariously through all their crazy adventures. Certainly the best blog I read.
14:37 PM October 03, 2012
Joburg Expat Blog has a wealth of information for new arrivals to this beautiful city! I look forward to each and every post. I also enjoy the humour added to put it all in perspective! This blog should be bookmarked and read by any new or prospective expat family to Jozie! Then they would realise,like we do, that it is not a difficult place to fall in love with, even if it can be frustratingly running on African Time - and never an easy city to say goodbye to!
17:04 PM October 03, 2012
I first came across Joburg Expat whilst debating whether or not I was prepared to move my family to South Africa. Not only is Sine's blog fun but it is also very informative - it certainly convinced me that I could live here. I have referenced Joburg Expat so often for a giggle & also for information. There isn't much positive stuff on the internet if you search "Living in Johannesburg" but thank goodness for Sine's blog - I wouldn't be here & having such a wonderful experience if I dan't come across it!
17:44 PM October 03, 2012
This blog is amazing and I really enjoy reading it! Sine manages to catch all the interesting topics even for people who already lived in South Africa quite a while!
18:40 PM October 03, 2012
I love reading joburg expat! It's very informative for prospective expats moving to joburg.
01:40 AM October 04, 2012
As a former expat in South Africa I can vouch for the real life experiences that Sine presents in a positive and humorous fashion. Reading it you can see she is genuinely committed to helping and providing valid, useful and current information for expats in Joburg and South Africa in general, presenting it in a format that is fun and engaging for those who are not living in SA to read and look forward to on a regular basis.
17:43 PM October 04, 2012
I love this blog-- great writing, and terrific information for anyone planning to even visit South Africa!