Homesick and Heatstruck
Latest Blog Posts »
- Sun, Sea and Sand 1 week ago Where do you go on holiday when you already live in the middle of a sun-sea-and-sand holiday destination? The answer is, somewhere just a little bit different… Like Norfolk. In November. As bleak as that may sound to some of you, this holiday had plenty of sun, sea and sand, just not the...
- Walking back to Happiness 3 weeks ago I am about to head home again for a week of British autumn and, as I pack my suitcase full of thermal undies and attempt to zip it closed (having first removed the dozing cat from within), I am reminded of the last time I packed my bags for a flight – back home in …
- Summer in Satwa 3 months ago We have moved ten miles up the road and it feels as if we’ve moved to a different country entirely. Al Barsha, our haunt for the last three years, has many good points: it is fairly central, close to the Metro and a big mall, and it is the home of Shawarmaji – purveyors of …
- Like a (cautious, considerate and law-abiding) bat out of hell... 5 months ago I had never driven an automatic before, or driven on the right, or driven on the crazy roads of Dubai. But we were moving house and buying furniture and transporting fish tanks and cats, and the whole thing would have been a nightmare without a car, so I grasped the proverbial nettle… The advice...
- The English: A Field Guide, by Matt Rudd 6 months ago A Homesick and Heatstruck Book Review Sunday Times writer, Matt Rudd, has quite selflessly spent the last couple of years loitering around grubby motorway service stations, dodgy B&Bs and East Anglian dogging hotspots in order to write this splendid book (at least that was his excuse…). Just...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 17 reviews on Homesick and Heatstruck
16:01 PM November 11, 2012
A fantastically honest, funny and well written blog! As an expat in the Middle East myself, Homesick and Heatstruck echoes everything i've nearly always been too scared to say out loud! Can't wait for more!
16:18 PM November 11, 2012
Gorgeous blog that's warm & witty. Gives a great glimpse of how it feels to be far away but still thinking of home.
16:25 PM November 11, 2012
My favourite Dubai blog. Funny, perceptive and well written it always takes me back to the green green grass of home.
16:04 PM November 12, 2012
Since leaving the UK, I have swept most things British under my favourite paisley, Laura Ashley Home rug... as a coping strategy no doubt. But this blog does nothing but take me back to days gone by spent in the Home Counties. A beautifully written, fearless yet romanticised and empathetic interpretation of the longing for home we expats all keep tucked away inside. A safe, enjoyable, cathartic read, I love it!
16:21 PM November 12, 2012
Really funny, occasionally moving, always entertaining. You hope the poor woman gets to go home soon, but then part of you hopes she doesn't!
17:34 PM November 12, 2012
Beautifully written; keenly observed; bitter sweet little insights that can bring tears to your eyes from both the sadness and the humour. Pure emotion worn on the sleeve, but so controlled it is writing of exquisitely precise quality.
22:29 PM November 12, 2012
Funny, smart writing, love it!
05:40 AM November 13, 2012
This is so well observed and the reflections are really touching with a sprinkling of humour. Love it!
06:20 AM November 13, 2012
This blogger's style is excellent - witty and honest with a the very real sense that you are settling down for a natter with an old friend. As an expat myself I love reading the posts that perfectly articulate feelings that I can only hint at. Highly recommended.
07:22 AM November 13, 2012
What a dream. Thoroughly enjoyable reading. Funny, honest, heart warming and above all SO TRUE! From one Kent girl to another. Love it.
07:29 AM November 13, 2012
Heartwarming yet evokes the cold winds of home...I really enjoy this blog for the imagery and 'closeness'; encapsulating just what being away from home entails. Most excellent writing!!:-)
22:06 PM November 14, 2012
Beautifully thought out and exquisitely written, a thoroughly engaging and entertaining read. I love this blog!
08:21 AM November 15, 2012
Beautifully written. Intelligent, witty, warm and genuine - if only all blogs were like this!
05:57 AM November 26, 2012
Makes me laugh. Makes my heart ache. I want to go home too.
11:33 AM December 02, 2012
She's witty, interesting and makes me feel as though I am right there with her.
17:16 PM February 10, 2013
I wouldn't consider leaving home without it! Amazing, heartfelt and heartwarming. x
15:01 PM May 29, 2013
Love it! Wish I'd had this when (and before) lived in Dubai...