Homesick and Heatstruck
Latest Blog Posts »
- Ave Angliae Mater! 9 months ago Well here I am. Home. I am officially home. I am now neither Homesick nor Heatstruck (Any ideas for a new blog name, folks? Answers on the back of a postcard…). I am not permitted to complain about the British weather in any way ever again – either directly or implicitly – for the rest …
- Burning Up on Re-Entry 1 year ago Having lived as an expat for nearly five years now, during which time I have seen many fellow expats come and go (it’s a transient sort of place), I have noticed that, while many take back to British life like ducks to proverbial muddy water, others find it a little bit more tricky to adjust…...
- The Paths Untaken: Making the Most of Where We Are... 1 year ago We’re all guilty of it: never visiting that National Trust property that’s only half an hour away; never getting around to trying that lovely looking restaurant passed every day on the way home from work; never walking the promising public footpath that cuts back across the fields just before...
- Moth and the Nightingale 1 year ago Regular readers may have noticed that H&H took a bit of a sabbatical last year… I wasn’t doing anything terribly exciting like restoring frescoes in Florence or skydiving over Machu Picchu; I was very much here on my sofa, doing exactly what I’m doing now. Writing stuff. Last year I wrote a...
- Tree-Hugging and Forest-Bathing 1 year ago ‘Tree-hugger’ is a vaguely insulting term for those perceived as hippy environmentalists, used fairly indiscriminately to describe pretty much anyone from an animal rights activist to a bypass protester. It’s also an epithet that has come to be associated with Prince Charles following his...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 18 reviews on Homesick and Heatstruck
16:01 PM November 11, 2012
A fantastically honest, funny and well written blog! As an expat in the Middle East myself, Homesick and Heatstruck echoes everything i've nearly always been too scared to say out loud! Can't wait for more!
16:18 PM November 11, 2012
Gorgeous blog that's warm & witty. Gives a great glimpse of how it feels to be far away but still thinking of home.
16:25 PM November 11, 2012
My favourite Dubai blog. Funny, perceptive and well written it always takes me back to the green green grass of home.
16:04 PM November 12, 2012
Since leaving the UK, I have swept most things British under my favourite paisley, Laura Ashley Home rug... as a coping strategy no doubt. But this blog does nothing but take me back to days gone by spent in the Home Counties. A beautifully written, fearless yet romanticised and empathetic interpretation of the longing for home we expats all keep tucked away inside. A safe, enjoyable, cathartic read, I love it!
16:21 PM November 12, 2012
Really funny, occasionally moving, always entertaining. You hope the poor woman gets to go home soon, but then part of you hopes she doesn't!
17:34 PM November 12, 2012
Beautifully written; keenly observed; bitter sweet little insights that can bring tears to your eyes from both the sadness and the humour. Pure emotion worn on the sleeve, but so controlled it is writing of exquisitely precise quality.
22:29 PM November 12, 2012
Funny, smart writing, love it!
05:40 AM November 13, 2012
This is so well observed and the reflections are really touching with a sprinkling of humour. Love it!
06:20 AM November 13, 2012
This blogger's style is excellent - witty and honest with a the very real sense that you are settling down for a natter with an old friend. As an expat myself I love reading the posts that perfectly articulate feelings that I can only hint at. Highly recommended.
07:22 AM November 13, 2012
What a dream. Thoroughly enjoyable reading. Funny, honest, heart warming and above all SO TRUE! From one Kent girl to another. Love it.
07:29 AM November 13, 2012
Heartwarming yet evokes the cold winds of home...I really enjoy this blog for the imagery and 'closeness'; encapsulating just what being away from home entails. Most excellent writing!!:-)
22:06 PM November 14, 2012
Beautifully thought out and exquisitely written, a thoroughly engaging and entertaining read. I love this blog!
08:21 AM November 15, 2012
Beautifully written. Intelligent, witty, warm and genuine - if only all blogs were like this!
05:57 AM November 26, 2012
Makes me laugh. Makes my heart ache. I want to go home too.
11:33 AM December 02, 2012
She's witty, interesting and makes me feel as though I am right there with her.
17:16 PM February 10, 2013
I wouldn't consider leaving home without it! Amazing, heartfelt and heartwarming. x
15:01 PM May 29, 2013
Love it! Wish I'd had this when (and before) lived in Dubai...
21:43 PM January 06, 2014
Beautifully written, thanks for sharing.