Latest Blog Posts »
- A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Pt 2 1 week ago There are children everywhere. More than half of the 60 000 refugees who have flooded into this camp in recent weeks are children. Some have come alone; some as young as five. They scamper after us. Intrigued by the camera crew – the videographer is tall, towers above the rest of us, he wears a...
- A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words Pt 1 2 weeks ago I ought to be in bed. I have been up at five every day for a week. I readied myself. Soaked in a bath up to my chin, so that the suds blushed pinkly as the water rinsed deeply engrained red, red earth from my skin, my hair, beneath my nails. I tried to watch […]
- When the Words are too Small 2 weeks ago Sometimes the words you need are too small for the story you have to tell. I’ll try. We arrived, the crew and I, on the far western edge of Tanzania on a morning brittle with justgone dawn air. Smoke from woodfires rose to mix with low cloud and the two conspired to smudge the edge […]
- Fear 3 weeks ago Not long ago I stood on my verandah and screamed. I opened my mouth and howled. Out loud. To the forest and the sky and the silence and the mildly, briefly, astonished dogs. And then I burst into tears. So much time, so many hours, slipping through my fingers. I said to Ant, ‘sometimes’ I...
- Reasons to Fly 4 months ago Istanbul. The airport a hub – a conduit, funneling people of every creed and colour to all four corners of the world. Mixed tongues are white noise here; I can recognize some languages by the lilt, the odd word, but many are too alien. A fellow passenger wonders at the tighter security; ‘I...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There is 1 review on Reluctant Memsahib
18:08 PM November 12, 2014
Excellent writing. You are teaching us and sharing your world and thoughts, thank you. Teaching is a wonderful calling. Jesus taught people in His parables. It is wonderful your daughter has chosen to teach, she will bless people and it will return to bless her.