Latest Blog Posts »
- The Drama of Storms 6 days ago So the rain came down. After two weeks of suffocating, sittingonyourchestinthemiddleofthenight heat so that you almost can’t breathe, the rain came down. For days I have watched, and willed, hulking clouds nearer, pleading with them to bulk up blackly. And every evening they dissolved on my...
- The Beast is Back 1 week ago I can sense it tiptoeing. It’s close. If I turn my head quickly, I think I can see a flash of its shape dart darkly behind shadows. I can definitely hear it, its silence roars and I can feel its cold breath on the back of neck, as dread. Depression’s descent is stealthy. And then sudden. […]
- Bad Memories 1 week ago I prompt mum. ‘You remember? You remember…’ And I cite an occasion, a place, a person. Often she looks blank but then, so as not to disappoint me because, apparently, judging by my insistence, the way I nudge her arm and fix my gaze upon her, it’s important to her daughter that she...
- The Imperatives of Useful Occupation 1 week ago I encounter Mum in the garden. She is pacing, a hanky in her hand, red-eyed. You ok Ma? No, she says, not really. What’s up Ma? Oh I don’t know; I just feel so bloody useless. I can’t do anything. And her eyes fill and spill. When my mum cries I feel afraid; I associate […]
- kwäləfəˈkāSH(ə)n/ or, How Meaningful Are Degrees, Really? or, Why I'm not eligible for an MA in Creative Writing 2 weeks ago The following is an essay I am about to submit by way of arguing my way onto an MA. Qualification. It’s a lofty word. Imperious. A mouthful; five whole syllables: qual·i·fi·ca·tion. What does it mean? The dictionary defines it, lumpenly, as ‘a quality or accomplishment that makes someone...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There is 1 review on Reluctant Memsahib
18:08 PM November 12, 2014
Excellent writing. You are teaching us and sharing your world and thoughts, thank you. Teaching is a wonderful calling. Jesus taught people in His parables. It is wonderful your daughter has chosen to teach, she will bless people and it will return to bless her.