Latest Blog Posts »
- Know When You're Lucky 4 months ago So a friend asked me, ‘The outpost?! Why on earth are you going back to the outpost?’ She’s right to ask; I wasn’t always very gracious about outpost living (though a little older now, it’s lost some of its teeth). It’s a long story. When we left, first time around, it was in a bid...
- This Incongruous Life 4 months ago So much seems incongruous. Not least that I am back in the Outpost. Is life really a circle? Or a game of Snakes and Ladders? You made a reckless mistake that you need to learn from: back to square one you go. And so we are here. Back. It’s a different place this time around. […]
- On Being a Mum: what we did right, what we did wrong 6 months ago I’d love your input, and your friends’ input and your husbands’ and partners’ input and your kids’ input. Especially your kids’ input. I’m working on a big writing project to which end I’m asking the question, ‘What did you (or your mum, to all those kids) do right? And – and...
- When the Rain Came. And When it Went. 7 months ago We are mid rains. That means it can lash cats and dogs and the sky be slung so fatbellied low that you wonder if it will ever, ever lift so that you can see the horizon again, wonder if the rain will ever stop. The lights sputter as the power lines swing dangerously in […]
- Cat Biscuits and Courage 8 months ago My little sister is here from her Zambian home. Also an outpost, but better populated than mine. She has a supermarket with more than one trolley which is all our Amory sports because there’s never more than one of us who require it at any one time. She brought me cat biscuits and chilli […]
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There is 1 review on Reluctant Memsahib
18:08 PM November 12, 2014
Excellent writing. You are teaching us and sharing your world and thoughts, thank you. Teaching is a wonderful calling. Jesus taught people in His parables. It is wonderful your daughter has chosen to teach, she will bless people and it will return to bless her.