Driving Like a Maniac
Latest Blog Posts »
- It takes a village 4 months ago Signor Crigio, who owns the men’s tailoring shop that used to be at the bottom of the building, is tiny, dapper and slim, with round glasses and a white, perfectly-trimmed moustache – the archetypal tailor. He’s recently closed the shop down, … Continue reading →
- On being authenticated 6 months ago The guys selling the chicken, pork and beef from the stalls outside the butcher’s shop know me now. After eighteen months of me shopping there, they can guess what I’m after before I’ve even asked for it. The chicken guy … Continue reading →
- Things my Sicilian boyfriend and I fight about 7 months ago Well, all right, not fight about. But they definitely baffle us. Welcome to the heady world of the cross-cultural relationship. Item one: food He’s Italian; I’m English. You may be chuckling right now, thinking that you’ve already guessed what the problem … Continue reading →
- Getting residency in Catania - a story 8 months ago “Good morning. I’m English, but I’d like to get Italian residency.” The man in the filthy, nicotine-stained office with the overflowing ashtray on his desk barely gives me a glance. “You’re in the wrong department. Round the corner, number 28, … Continue reading →
- Interview with an Unwilling Expat 9 months ago Months and months and *months* ago, I received an email from Rochelle of Unwilling Expat, asking if I’d be interested in doing an interview for her blog. I shot her a quick email back, saying yes, why not? – and promptly … Continue reading →
Contest Entries »
- From Expat to Immigrant Writing Contest October 2012 I hadn't intended to come to Italy. Argentina was where I wanted to be, where I could ride polo ponies across pampas plains and fall in love with handsome gauchos. That was the plan. Europe wasn't even on my list. It was too close to the UK and not...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Italy Honourable Mention Award!
This blog won the Honourable Mention Award for best expat blog in Italy!Copy and paste code to display the Honourable Mention Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 14 reviews on Driving Like a Maniac
23:03 PM October 08, 2012
23:46 PM October 08, 2012
Highly entertaining and beautifully written (and on occasion spoken!) blog. What this woman can't tell you about the experience of eating trifle is frankly not worth reading (or hearing).
00:25 AM October 09, 2012
Utterly love Driving Like a Maniac. Clever, well written and so hilarious it is responsible for many odd looks from fellow commuters as I laugh out loud on public transport.
00:30 AM October 09, 2012
She is a smashing storyteller. Highly recommended!
01:00 AM October 09, 2012
My favourite blog of them all - the writing is superb - you find yourself drawn in, as if you were there experiencing it too. Very gifted writer and most enjoyable blog.
01:26 AM October 09, 2012
She makes me want to move to Italy.
02:26 AM October 09, 2012
Always makes me wish I lived in Italy instead of China....
06:07 AM October 09, 2012
Intelligent, down to earth, great sense of humor..great blog!.
06:54 AM October 09, 2012
A wild ride - lots of fun.
10:19 AM October 09, 2012
I Look forward to Mondays with Kate's observations of her life in Sicily (and beyond)
11:55 AM October 09, 2012
Deep down she is a blonde - sweet writing, smart and wicked too. Clap clap.
08:55 AM October 10, 2012
Always an entertaining read.
06:06 AM October 13, 2012
I LOVE this blog!! She always takes me to interesting places in a way that makes me laugh out loud and feel like I was there. Brilliant. :-)
22:07 PM October 29, 2012
Big fan of Kate's writing. I love how she constructs a sentence - always in a delicate way. She has very readable material. We are both blogging about Sicily so for me, that makes it even more interesting.