The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- Texas History Through My Eastern Eyes and What I Love About Home 6 hours ago My family settled in New Jersey from England and Holland prior to the Revolutionary War. My mother’s family were the Covenhovens and owned the farmhouse which served as the headquarters for the Battle of Monmouth during the Revolutionary War. So... Read More ›
- March Roundup and A Texas Update 3 days ago This month, I read several articles which are germane to this blog (whatever that means). In any event, I’ve developed a habit of saving things I enjoy. And some of it does resonate with what I write about. First, and... Read More ›
- Amish Country: Lancaster, Pennsylvania 1 week ago Growing up, my father loved to spend the weekend in Lancaster, Pennsylvania – or as he called it “Amish Country”. To this day, I associate this rural, farming county in eastern Pennsylvania with him. For years, we pulled our travel... Read More ›
- First Impressions of Austin, Texas 2 weeks ago When I mentioned to my Hungarian friend, Szabi, that I was moving to Austin for a month, he replied, “Julie, I know that place. Dallas, right? JR Ewing.” And really, how could I blame him? I share his image of... Read More ›
- The Trip Home 2 weeks ago Early Monday morning, Pat and I crawled out of bed in anticipation of our 5:30 taxi pickup to the Budapest airport. As Pat took his shower, I read a blog comment from a friend – a quote from Lao Tzu,... Read More ›
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.