The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- The Hungarian Parliament Building 4 days ago The diminutive country of Hungary, weighing in at just under 10 million people, is home to the third largest parliament building in the world. Consequently, some Hungarians have coined the phrase, “little country, big parliament” (to which a few add... Read More ›
- Why DO I Write This Blog? 6 days ago A few months ago, I created a “Start Here” for The World in Between. After 155 posts, I needed something to describe who I am and what my blog is about. The “Start Here” section helps readers catch up quickly... Read More ›
- Reminders of Jewish Life in Mád, Hungary 1 week ago If you arrive in Mád by train, expect a tepid welcome – a limp handshake. As we stood on the platform, the town sign loomed threateningly over the tiny rail station. Alongside the road to the village, an abandoned factory,... Read More ›
- The Stations of the Cross: Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia 2 weeks ago Last week, I noticed my Facebook page photo is different from my standard social media picture. As I looked at it, I recalled Ryan’s words, “Hey mom, you need a new picture – don’t use one from work, OK? Take... Read More ›
- A Look Ahead From The World In Between 2 weeks ago In the last month, I have written a lot about travel. That’s not my intent, but time is slipping away – we have eight months left in Hungary. Being the homo sapiens we are, we waffled between complacency and frenzy... Read More ›
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.