The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- A Week in Havana, Cuba 2 days ago I expected the smell of oleander. Somewhere I had read this description of Havana, but I can’t remember where. Oleander, sultry weather, men in fedoras, women in spiked heels, salsa dancing, rum, and cigars. More than a half century ago,... Read More ›
- Finding Peace in Unsettled Guatemala 1 week ago It’s been three weeks since we arrived in Guatemala, and at last I feel settled. The first week, either Pat or I would joke about leaving. “Let’s get out of here!” or “When’s the next flight?” Then we would laugh,... Read More ›
- A Nomadic Life: Figuring out our logistics 1 week ago The most frequent question I’m asked once people learn I am a permanent traveler is “How do you figure out where to go?” The first time someone asked this question, I hesitated. Seriously? How can you NOT figure out where... Read More ›
- Beyond Paradise: Life in Guatemala 2 weeks ago There’s a crust on the dark side of paradise; the cost determines its thickness. Guatemala is cheap; therefore, the crust is dense and contains flies, mangy dogs, and dirt roads strewn with garbage. One of the most spectacularly beautiful vistas... Read More ›
- Home at last in San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala 3 weeks ago Time. Where has it gone? We spent a relaxing, fun Christmas in Charlottesville with our entire family (including the featured addition, our new grandson, Jack Patrick). For my gift, I allowed myself not to worry about this blog. The family... Read More ›
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.