The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- A Goose Feast and Pumpkin Strudel with Friends 1 week ago Right up until Thanksgiving Day, I didn’t think about the impending holiday. Then Thursday arrived and it hit me; a lump in my throat; homesickness. I was relieved. I hope I always miss home on Thanksgiving. That evening I attended a team building event which ended at a neighborhood...
- Thanksgiving 1 week ago Today is Thanksgiving, our third since moving to Europe but the first which I will work. Without family or friends, football games or turkey; today is just the fourth Thursday in November – a Hungarian workday like any other. Burning vacation so Pat and I can roast a chicken and...
- No Country for Dreamers... 2 weeks ago We tackled a poem during a recent lunchtime English conversation class; Dreams Deferred by Langston Hughes. Not being terribly poetic myself, I stumbled upon it googling “Poems for ESL students”. Poetry can be tough to interpret in a second language amid the tangle of nuance and...
- A Photography Workshop in North Wales 2 weeks ago Clouds continually form and fade on the eastern flanks of Mount Snowdonia in North Wales creating the ever-changing light effect associated with this area. The hills are dabbed with fits of orange and yellow, an occasional smudge of stubborn green. Centuries old stone walls enclose lush pastures of...
- Sadly, I Relinquish My Crown... 3 weeks ago One of my proudest moments was winning the gold award as best expat blogger from Slovakia. While I realize this was not the equivalent of winning France or Italy or England (or any of a dozen other countries), the www.expatsblog.com site had been highlighted in the New York Times. Growing up, I...
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.