The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- The Rodin Museum, Philadelphia 1 day ago At the turn of the 20th century, two French architects, Paul Cret and Jacques Greber, designed the Ben Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia. Then, they turned their attention to create a museum which would house one of the most important collections... Read More ›
- The Joy of the Unknown 6 days ago Yesterday evening, just as the sun dipped below the Buda hills, a group gathered in the park below our apartment. A cluster of candles flickered at the base of a statue surrounded by diffuse pinpricks of light as people continued... Read More ›
- To Kindle or not to Kindle? 1 week ago Pat and I are figuring out what we need to carry with us to support our itinerant lives as we prepare to set sail. Over the next months, I will be writing more about these dilemmas – three in particular:... Read More ›
- "Will you rethink your Paris plans?"... In a word, "No" 2 weeks ago This week, some friends have asked if we will rethink our three month trip to Paris which starts May 3rd. The short answer is, of course, “no” – in spite of the fact that the shootings occurred a block from... Read More ›
- A VIP Museum Press Pass - Surely not Mine?! 2 weeks ago At a travel bloggers’ conference in Athens, I learned about various resources – things I never realized existed: Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs) and Tourist Boards and internet pages which list all sorts of important anniversaries you can “pin” an article... Read More ›
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.