The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- Ode to My Refrigerator 1 week ago My refrigerator is tucked beneath a two-burner stove top. In a prior life, it might have been a college beer fridge, but if you look inside this refrigerator, you will find a slab of butter, a half pot of jam,... Read More ›
- Should We Stay or Should We Go? 3 weeks ago We’ve kicked the can down the road long enough. Next year is coming. We need to decide what we’re going to do. More specifically, where we’re going to live. To a degree, this came to a head in Saint Malo... Read More ›
- Please, don't touch the produce 2 months ago It was thrilling, and completely unexpected: to meet someone who so obviously hated Pat and liked me. This never happens. Except here in France. With a certain produce vendor. This was years ago, and we were staying on Ile Saint... Read More ›
- Sunday Evening at the Anchor Bar 2 months ago Fall comes early to Ireland. By mid-August, each day is noticeably shorter than the last. The weather doesn’t so much change as it doubles down. The wind blows slightly stronger. The rain grows more persistent. Kids return to school. After... Read More ›
- Happiness is ... 2 months ago Charlie Brown and the Peanuts Gang sang a song when I was young: Happiness is finding a pencil. Pizza with sausage. Tying your shoes for the very first time. Lately, I’ve thought a lot about happiness. If you are considering... Read More ›
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.