The World in Between
Latest Blog Posts »
- A Very Hungarian Thanksgiving 3 days ago Last Thanksgiving I worked and festered and ultimately swore I would never do that again. Hungarian friends wished me a Happy Thanksgiving, but somehow, that just made me feel worse. By mid afternoon, Facebook dispatches started to arrive – a... Read More ›
- When a Colleague Dies 1 week ago Last Monday, as my US colleagues were coming to work, I received a message. “Did you hear Jim died yesterday? Suddenly. In his sleep.” Jim and I worked together on and off for years although less so since I moved... Read More ›
- What happens when you need surgery.... in Budapest, Hungary? 1 week ago After a year of intermittent sinus issues and pounding headaches, Pat finally broke down. “I can’t take it. I’m calling a doctor.” We travel home for our routine medical care, so we never visited a doctor here. Luckily, I had... Read More ›
- Hydra, Greece: An Accidental Hike to the Monastery on Mount Eros 2 weeks ago How we ended up at the Prophet Elias Monastery on the top of Mount Eros is still a mystery. As we crossed from Athens to Hydra by ferry, our boat tossed about like a cork in a typhoon while attendants... Read More ›
- What I learned at TBEX Athens and my writing class with David Farley 3 weeks ago Last week, Pat and I attended a convention in Athens, the Travel Bloggers Exchange, or TBEX. I divided the sessions between us according to our interests. Pat, realizing where this was headed, conceded, “Julie, just tell me where to go.”... Read More ›
Contest Entries »
- Becoming Expats in Slovakia Writing Contest October 2012 It started as a lark last spring when my manager asked if I could relocate to Bratislava, Slovakia. My dream had been to live in Europe. My Pavlovian response was an immediate “Of course.” Neither my husband nor I had ever been to...
- The top 10 life lessons I learned as an American expat in Slovakia Writing Contest March 2013 Slovakia wasn't on my “top places to live” list. I didn't discount it. Frankly, I just never thought of it. I realized Czechoslovakia split after the Cold War into the Prague half and the other half. It did not cross my mind I would someday...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Slovakia Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Slovakia!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 12 reviews on The World in Between
01:55 AM October 17, 2012
A great blog by two great people. Ok, I'm related but I read every post and learn something new about my parents each time. It's honest, well written, and informative.
02:03 AM October 17, 2012
The blog is great! I love the mix of wit, candor and real travel information!
02:43 AM October 17, 2012
Great blog. I like the photos too.
03:03 AM October 17, 2012
My family went to Central Europe this summer and used many suggestions from The World in Between to plan our trip. We went on a number of great adventures thanks to this blog and will continue to be avid followers!
06:30 AM October 17, 2012
I now want to travel to Bratislava now.
06:51 AM October 17, 2012
Keep up the good work Julie!
07:10 AM October 17, 2012
Amazing blog, I particularly like the vivid, animated, and very personal description. The photography is truly superb, as well. Anyone interested in learning more about events or life in Central Europe or Bratislava should subscribe to this blog.
08:11 AM October 17, 2012
It's not every day you come across a blog that is intelligent, thought-provoking, funny, and makes you want to explore the world. Julie and Pat hit the nail on the head and open our eyes a little wider. THANKS YOU TWO!
12:19 PM October 17, 2012
A very enjoyable lead, definitely deserving of the Expats Blog Award.
21:39 PM October 17, 2012
What beautiful photos and interesting stories! Thanks for sharing!
22:10 PM October 17, 2012
This blog was a great pre-read for the trip my husband and I recently took to Bratislava. I felt connected to Julie's blend of personal insight and well-researched explanations. When we arrived, I recognized and had context for our welcoming sights. The accompanying photos are far beyond what my tourist snapping can capture and give the blog a rich and vivid art value.
03:16 AM October 19, 2012
Very cool blog! It's great to read about the places you have been. Makes me want to travel to eastern Europe now.