Latest Blog Posts »
- Avenida Maritima 8 hours ago Waking up on Las Palmas de Gran Canaria’s AM There’s nothing like a walk along the Avenida Maritima to renew body and mind. The ocean breeze refreshes parts other places can’t reach. But if you’re cycling, you’ll enjoy a wind-assisted ride heading out. Before battling...
- Playa del Ingles 1 week ago Life’s not always a beach A few years back, I returned to the world of SEO in London for a period of time. To my new workmates, I was a disappointment. Hearing that I’d been living in the Canary Islands, they no doubt imagined the new boy would be a bronze-complexioned one. Except I was...
- La Berlanga 2 weeks ago La Berlanga, Canarian Badlands Shooting the colourful landscape of La Berlanga for your visual pleasure, I half-expect Martin Sheen’s Kit to jump out at me, all guns blazing. For the autumnal hue of non-seasonal flora meeting blue, blue sky perfectly matches that of Terrence Malick’s...
- Santa Brigida 3 weeks ago Nuthin’ but a G Thang The bus driver looks perplexed. So do I as I attempt to pay my 1,65€ single to Santa Brigida. “Santa BriG-ida”, I enunciate slowly. Embarrassingly, despite living here nine years, I have to write the name down. “Ah, Santa BriHee-da,” he reads...
- Puerto Rico 2 months ago Puerto Rico: Gran Canaria’s Little Britain The first time I visited Puerto Rico, I was working, interviewing Dr Paul Beresford-Jones and his wife, nurse Mary. They’d just relocated their British Medical Clinic from Las Palmas to this south-west resort. Despite their old premises lying...
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 13 reviews on matthewhirtes.com
23:41 PM October 13, 2012
One of the most professional blogs about Spain and an absolute "must-read" if you have any interest in the Canaries in general and Gran Canaria in particular! Enjoy ..... and learn!
07:30 AM October 14, 2012
A classic,all informing blog on Gran Canaria...especially like thhe Random Photo shots
09:05 AM October 14, 2012
Especially enjoy the random photos - they usually manage to be more informative and entertaining than random.
09:33 AM October 14, 2012
Extremely knowledgeable and well written.
10:05 AM October 14, 2012
Love the Random Photos - backed up by informative writing about Gran Canaria, by someone who really knows the Island
10:38 AM October 14, 2012
Random photos are a nice twist.
14:11 PM October 14, 2012
Matthew's blog is sleek and unique. He offers interesting insights into life in the Canary Islands. Having lived in the Canary Islands for 7 years myself, and having visited most of them, I love reading what Matthew discovers. Keep up the good work!
15:42 PM October 14, 2012
Until I came across Matthew Hirtes' fascinating blog posts, I must admit I had very little interest in visiting Gran Canaria. Now I just can't wait to find out what it's like for myself!
19:09 PM October 14, 2012
knowledgeable very well written , its a must read , enjoyed every much ..
10:44 AM October 15, 2012
Gorgeous photography and informative blogs about Spain - makes you want to visit!
12:09 PM October 15, 2012
A picture paints 1,000 words (Random Posts = great idea for time-pressed bloggers and readers)but Matthew uses both mediums to grrreat effect!
08:59 AM October 31, 2012
If you want to know about the Canary Islands, and Gran Canaria in particular, Matthew is your man! Informative, well-written articles and great photographs make this blog a favourite on my list :)
12:57 PM November 05, 2012
Brings the lesser-know parts of Gran Canaria to the reader, so you can see it as a local. Matthew is an authority of the island, and his blog is well worth reading for anyone interested in visiting.